mschlawin Contributor.
Contributor.

Adaptive Agent Imaging

Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to get ZCM rolled out for the new school year and I'm having issues.

I have a new ZCM Linux server and it is running well on a half dozen test machines. I tried rolling it out to a lab of computers and ran into some problems.

I installed the ZCM Adaptive agent on one machine (lab01) and verified that all the bundles and policies were working. I then tried to multicast that image to four more computers in the lab (lab02 - lab04) it imaged just fine. (I am still using my ZEN 7 server for imaging...is that a problem??) The computers all started, but did not pop up the normal box that says to wait to log in while changes are made. I waited and then rebooted all five machines, but none of their names changed. They all came up as lab01 It did not appear to get the image safe data for any of them. So I manually renamed them and rebooted. ZCM launches all the icons, but under "show properties" the adaptive agent still lists them all as lab01.

How can I image in the adaptive agent? Thanks for any help!

Matt
Labels (2)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adaptive Agent Imaging

Hi Matt,

As you hinted at it already, the problem here is that you are using a Zen7 imaging server for images running a ZCM agent. We've seen similar results where the pc name not getting set back correctly.

One workaround we've found is to boot into PXE selecting manual mode, run ' zisedit -c ' to clear out any previous zis info, and rerun zisedit to set 1) the imaged flag & 2) workstation name. Now restore the base image and reboot. The set name should now get applied. You will get a new GID so the link to the previous ZCM workstation object is lost and it's best to delete the object in ZCM before restoring the base image. Somehow clearing your zis and only setting the flag and ws name makes it work.

As soon as we switched to using the ZCM pxe service pc identities restored correctly.
0 Likes
mschlawin Contributor.
Contributor.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was just using a manual multicast to copy the hard drive directly from the first computer to the others so I didn't think that would matter. I did as you suggested and did a PXE boot from the ZCM server instead. I then did another manual multicast from the first machine (called CompApp01) to the other four. Sure enough, the zenworks "wait" box popped up and the machines rebooted. They all had the correct names this time.

BUT, they never showed up as devices in the ZCM console. I got this error message four times:
Device Alias: COMPAPP01
Device IP Addresses: 172.16.13.83,172.16.13.83
Error: [8/8/09 12:11:01 PM] ActionManager ActionMan.HandlerException The handler Novell.Zenworks.ActionManager.StandaloneHandlerHandler thew the following exception: System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (0, 0). ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)

Is there something I need to do to get them into the ZCM console? Is there a ZEN 7 equivalent to "zwsreg -unreg" and "zwsreg" ?

Thanks for your help!

Matt
0 Likes
andystewartSL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

zac unreg and zac reg will re-register it with your ZCM zone...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

As Andy already states, in the case of grabbing an image from a system that has already registered, you'll need to do an unreg/reg. To be thorough you'll have to clean up more items to 1) have windows have a unique security ID (sid) 2) make sure the workstations are not getting registered in ZCM with the same GUID.

If you search the ZCM subforums on 'GUID' you'll find more threads about this as also good ways to go about imaging.

I prefer using an image that has no zenagent installed until after the image has been deployed to the pc.
0 Likes
mschlawin Contributor.
Contributor.

zac unreg and zac reg will re-register it with your ZCM zone...

Thanks. All five machines originally came up as COMPAPP01. I renamed computers 2-5 with their correct name. When I unregistered them, it unregistered COMPAPP01 as well, which kind of makes sense. I registered 1 through 5 and they all appeared as devices in the correct zone. So far so good.

So I went to computer six (Named COMPAPP06) and pulled the image down from the server this time. The image came down just fine, but when I booted the server, it came up as COMPAPP01. ARGGGGG!!!!

So I unregistered it (which of course unregistered COMPAPP01) and re-registered it. It came up just fine. I then had to re-register COMPAPP01 again.

What am I missing here??

Matt
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

mschlawin;1838708 wrote:
So I went to computer six (Named COMPAPP06) and pulled the image down from the server this time. The image came down just fine, but when I booted the server, it came up as COMPAPP01. ARGGGGG!!!!

So I unregistered it (which of course unregistered COMPAPP01) and re-registered it. It came up just fine. I then had to re-register COMPAPP01 again.

What am I missing here??

The exact steps you're talking are vital to how your workstations are getting named.

What you are describing could be due to a duplicate GUID or the zis information being different to what you thought on COMPAPP06 before you brought down the image .

One thing that is important, is that if you are using a base image that has a zen agent installed on it, you'll need to do an identity cleanup before writing the image to the server.
0 Likes
mschlawin Contributor.
Contributor.

hmmmm. we have Trend AV and I have always run their GUID changing tool on the first boot of a new image in the past. Is there a preferred Novell utility for ZCM imaging?

I am digging through the 230 page preboot services and imaging manual but have not found anything yet.

Matt
0 Likes
mschlawin Contributor.
Contributor.

ahhhh...I just found:

zac fsg -d

I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Matt
0 Likes
mschlawin Contributor.
Contributor.

So I ran the zac fsg -d command, shut down the workstation and manually put an image up to the ZCM server. I went to another workstation and manually brought down the image. The "wait" box popped up and it worked for a few minutes and then rebooted. I think all is normal.

But when I tried to log in, it would take my Novell credentials, but DLU would not work and I had to log in locally with a secret back door account I have on every machine. I right-clicked the Z in the lower right and check properties and there were no user policies assigned. I double checked and my user name is assigned to a DLU policy.

I rebooted, I unregistered and re-registerd the workstation, I checked to make sure it is in the ZCM console, but DLU will simply not work!

Any ideas? This deployment is not going well at all!

Thanks!

Matt
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

mschlawin;1839182 wrote:
I rebooted, I unregistered and re-registerd the workstation, I checked to make sure it is in the ZCM console, but DLU will simply not work!

Is the workstation managed when you look at the zenagneticon'd properties?

Also have a look in the ZCM webadmin... is the workstation registered in the same way and what relationships (ALL) does ZCM show as being linked?
0 Likes
mschlawin Contributor.
Contributor.

No. Device name is unknown and the device is unmanaged.

Also have a look in the ZCM webadmin... is the workstation registered in the same way and what relationships (ALL) does ZCM show as being linked
Assigned Bundles-ALL shows all of the apps that should be on the screen. However, there are no icons at all on the desktop or in the application folder.

This message is in the ZCM console for that workstation:
Full Message: No valid services available.
Additional Information: None
Severity: Warning
Date: August 10, 2009 6:16:21 PM
Acknowledged Date: None
Source: /Devices/Workstations/CompApp/compapp01
Message ID: ZenHttp.BadService
Probable Cause URL: None
Log ID: 0c5305845552b5ac05e22e0451c4658c
Related Objects: None

Same problem here??
http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/zenworks/configuration-management/zcm-bundles/354104-zenhttp-badservice-error-zcc-bundles-not-installing.html

Matt
0 Likes
mschlawin Contributor.
Contributor.

I just copied the new sqlite3.dll to the zenworks/bin directory and it did not do anything.

I'm running out of time so I surrender! <white-flag>
I'm going back to ZEN 7 for the time being.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate the excellent work you guys do on the forums!

Matt

mschlawin;1839272 wrote:
No. Device name is unknown and the device is unmanaged.

Also have a look in the ZCM webadmin... is the workstation registered in the same way and what relationships (ALL) does ZCM show as being linked
Assigned Bundles-ALL shows all of the apps that should be on the screen. However, there are no icons at all on the desktop or in the application folder.

This message is in the ZCM console for that workstation:
Full Message: No valid services available.
Additional Information: None
Severity: Warning
Date: August 10, 2009 6:16:21 PM
Acknowledged Date: None
Source: /Devices/Workstations/CompApp/compapp01
Message ID: ZenHttp.BadService
Probable Cause URL: None
Log ID: 0c5305845552b5ac05e22e0451c4658c
Related Objects: None

Same problem here??
http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/zenworks/configuration-management/zcm-bundles/354104-zenhttp-badservice-error-zcc-bundles-not-installing.html

Matt
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If the workstation states unmanaged the workstation is not registered within the ZCM zone. If that's not the case you'll never receive any bundles or policies.

I think you're having these issues due to your base image not being fully cleaned up from it's previous zenangent configuration (the name compapp01 is popping up again).
After running zac -fsg d, did you also run ziswin to clear out the image safe date?

When running the zac reg https://<servername>.domain , do you receive any errors?

We use a base XP image that's never had an agent installed until its' being deployed. It's also 'sealed' using sysprep so each deployed image gets a new random SID assigned. You might want to look into trying it that way?

Maybe similar threads to this one can help you with your current isse : http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/zenworks/configuration-management/zcm-agent-deployment/361647-computers-registring-same-guid.html
0 Likes
mschlawin Contributor.
Contributor.

I think you're having these issues due to your base image not being fully cleaned up from it's previous zenangent configuration (the name compapp01 is popping up again).
This IS CompApp01. It was working fine and then it quit! 😞

After running zac -fsg d, did you also run ziswin to clear out the image safe date?
Yes. Before I sent the image to the server.

When running the zac reg https://<servername>.domain , do you receive any errors?
No. It registers just fine and the device appears in the correct place in the ZCM console.

We use a base XP image that's never had an agent installed until its' being deployed. It's also 'sealed' using sysprep so each deployed image gets a new random SID assigned. You might want to look into trying it that way?

So that means I will have to install the adaptive agent on each workstation after it is imaged? In SysPrep do you click "Factory" and then "Reseal" ?

Matt

Maybe similar threads to this one can help you with your current isse : http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/zenworks/configuration-management/zcm-agent-deployment/361647-computers-registring-same-guid.html
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.