tbattista1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
5350 views

Add-on driver images

Hi Guys!

Im in the process of converting our facilities from Windows XP to Windows 7 32-bit. I have the base image basically covered and done, it includes Zenworks 11 agent, novell client, office and our sophos security. I am however having an issue trying to figure out how to create the drivers add-on image. For my base image i used sysprep, then before the computer rebooted i got in using Knoppix and removed the drivers for that specific computer hardware. How do i create just an add-on image for drivers and how do i tell it where to drop the drivers for each specific machine? Im sort of new at this so please forgive me if im a little slow to understand lol Thanks again for the help
Labels (2)
0 Likes
22 Replies
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

tbattista1 <tbattista1@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys!
>
> Im in the process of converting our facilities from Windows XP to
> Windows 7 32-bit. I have the base image basically covered and done, it
> includes Zenworks 11 agent, novell client, office and our sophos
> security. I am however having an issue trying to figure out how to
> create the drivers add-on image. For my base image i used sysprep, then
> before the computer rebooted i got in using Knoppix and removed the
> drivers for that specific computer hardware. How do i create just an
> add-on image for drivers and how do i tell it where to drop the drivers
> for each specific machine? Im sort of new at this so please forgive me
> if im a little slow to understand lol Thanks again for the help
>


I use DPINST to indtall drivers during the second boot (first boot runs
sysprep). The drivers are placed in the same folder as the DPINST.exe file.
I change the config file so it looks in subfolders for the needed driver.

Is this what you are looking for?

--
Niels

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
tbattista1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

not sure...not familiar with DPINST to be honest. The way imaging is done currently is the following:

1. boot machine via PXE into Zen imaging
2. at # type img
3.when zen imaging opens, press F6 to image, flash base image
4. after base image, flash add-on driver image (add-on was made with Zenworks image explorer and throws them in C:\Sysprep\Drivers\....
5. reboot and enjoy

If that sheds any light on what im needing to do LOL sorry if im not clear.

I guess my question is, can i still put the drivers in C:\Sysprep\Drivers....in Windows 7 like i do with XP and win7 will just see them and install those drivers when it boots for the first time?
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

tbattista1,

> I guess my question is, can i still put the drivers in
> C:\Sysprep\Drivers....in Windows 7 like i do with XP and win7 will just
> see them and install those drivers when it boots for the first time?
>


No, it will not locate the drivers by default. I don't wanne dictate what's
the right way to do it... 😉 But this is what I would do in your case:

I would run DPINST (just google it to find it) as the last part of sysprep,
you can get sysprep to run commands when editing the unattend.xml. What you
need to do is to change the config file for DPINST, så it searches in
subfolder. If you need a bit more detailed guidens on the setup, I'll be
happy to help you.

--
Niels

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
tbattista1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

if you wouldnt mind that would be very helpful.....im in the testing phase right now and really want this deployment to go smooth 🙂 I really appreciate the help. In the mean time i will look up DPINST and see how that functions. I assume that is used to create the add-on image? can it be saved as a .zmg file?
0 Likes
tbattista1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

I would like to add, that the idea is to have none of the manufacture drivers on the base image because we will be using this base image on a number of different model machines, so we want to keep the base image as clutter free as possible.
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

tbattista1 <tbattista1@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> I would like to add, that the idea is to have none of the manufacture
> drivers on the base image because we will be using this base image on a
> number of different model machines, so we want to keep the base image as
> clutter free as possible.
>


As it should be 😉

Dpinst i the feature windows uses to install drivers and is no more than a
simple exe file that is executed and then installs your hardware using the
driver you add in the addon image.

I'll make a little guide for you tomorrow, hope it'll be helpfull enough to
get you started.

--
Niels

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
tbattista1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

I'm a little confused how it works, but im sure a light bulb will turn on as soon as i read your guide. Thanks so much!

my email is antoniobattista@att.net

Thanks again for taking the time to do this!
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

tbattista1 wrote:

>
> Thanks again for taking the time to do this!


Not a problem.

--

--
Niels Poulsen

Novell Knowledge Partner

-------------------------------
A TRUE RED DEVIL

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

tbattista1,

>
> I'm a little confused how it works, but im sure a light bulb will turn
> on as soon as i read your guide. Thanks so much!
>
> my email is antoniobattista@att.net
>
> Thanks again for taking the time to do this!


I've sent you an email.

--

Niels Poulsen

Novell Knowledge Partner

-------------------------------
A TRUE RED DEVIL

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
tbattista1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

thank you for the the info, I emailed you back with a few questions.
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

tbattista1 <tbattista1@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> thank you for the the info, I emailed you back with a few questions.
>


I'll have a look.

--
Niels

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
stedwards_suppo
New Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

DPINST is the way to go. I found the following guide really helpful and we're now imaging using this method:

Windows 7 Automated Imaging and ZCM Registration
0 Likes
tbattista1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

site doesnt seem to work....keep getting a bad gateway message.
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Add-on driver images

tbattista1 wrote:

>
> site doesnt seem to work....keep getting a bad gateway message.


Looks like the site is not working that well at the moment.

--

--
Niels Poulsen

Novell Knowledge Partner

-------------------------------
A TRUE RED DEVIL

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.