Chris Graulich
New Member.

Advice sought--appliance or physical server for 2nd primary?

Currently running ZCM 11.4.3 on a 2012R2 physical server, embedded database.
This is the only primary. Upgrading to ZCM 2017 shortly.

In order to have some redundancy, we are planning to add a 2nd primary. So
we were looking to see what the advice might be---set up another physical server
(we have one available) or do the appliance?

Any thoughts most welcome!
Regards, Chris G
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Advice sought--appliance or physical server for 2nd prim

With its small footprint (compared to full blown OS) and that it doesn't consume an OS license, I'd recommend the Appliance as a 2nd primary. Though I would say the upgrade process is a little easier on a full OS (like on a physical machine). I might recommend going to ZCM 2017 first and then add the 2017 Appliance as a 2nd primary server.

Note, if the system with the embedded database goes down, the zone and ZENworks goes down. For more redundancy, you could potentially go to an external database.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Advice sought--appliance or physical server for 2nd prim

Do you manage other Linux Servers?
If not, I would stick with a Windows Server....though you could make it virtual.
Of course if you want to add a Linux Server to your mix for personal growth...an Appliance is a good way to get started...........
Virtual Primaries require their memory to be set to dedicated as a heads up due to the way Java works and the fact primaries make heavy use of Java.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.