stesjo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

After upgrade to Update 3, /etc/init.d/novell-* disappeared

Upgraded VA 2017 Update 2 to Update 3.
After that I noticed that the services under /etc/init.d is no longer there.
For example /etc/init.d/novell-proxydhcp, /etc/init.d/novell-tftp, /etc/init.d/novell-pbserv and others.
Everything works fine so the services are running, but the easy way to just start and stop a service like /etc/init.d/novell-proxydhcp stop | start | status and so on is not possible.
Maybe do they have new names? Can't find them.
I can start and stop the services via novell-zenworks-configure -c Start but it is much easier and quicker to use /etc/init.d/xxx.
What happened?
/Stefan
Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: After upgrade to Update 3, /etc/init.d/novell-* disappea

init.d was replaced when starting in the ZCM 2017 Appliance.

The reason is a newer version of Linux.
init.d was replaced by systemd a few years back across the board in current Linux releases...

stesjo;2487199 wrote:
Upgraded VA 2017 Update 2 to Update 3.
After that I noticed that the services under /etc/init.d is no longer there.
For example /etc/init.d/novell-proxydhcp, /etc/init.d/novell-tftp, /etc/init.d/novell-pbserv and others.
Everything works fine so the services are running, but the easy way to just start and stop a service like /etc/init.d/novell-proxydhcp stop | start | status and so on is not possible.
Maybe do they have new names? Can't find them.
I can start and stop the services via novell-zenworks-configure -c Start but it is much easier and quicker to use /etc/init.d/xxx.
What happened?
/Stefan
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

0 Likes
stesjo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

🙂
Did not see this post before I wrote my reply to you.
Thanks.
/Stefan
0 Likes
stesjo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok.
Thanks, Craig.
Was just confused.. init.d has been working both in shipping, Update 1 and Update 2 of ZCM 2017.
And now suddenly, while updating to Update 3, it's not there anymore.

So the new syntax would be like:
systemctl start novell-proxydhcp.service

Or any other preffered ways of doing it?
/Stefan

CRAIGDWILSON;2487200 wrote:

init.d was replaced by systemd a few years back across the board in current Linux releases...
0 Likes
davidkrotil Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

You are right Stesjo and this has bad side effect, that you can´t now enable proxy-dhcp from Appliance web interface, is gone. From Services you can now manage only SSH service, before update there was proxy-dhcp too.

Clearly a bug.
0 Likes
gturcsik Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The documentation does not follow this (use init.d to start, stop and restart):

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-3/zen_sys_servers/data/bb2mpa7.html

CRAIGDWILSON;2487200 wrote:

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks...I submitted doc feedback to the updated syntax documented.....
0 Likes
NovAlf Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi!
Just as remark.
„ZCM 17.3/17.3a Imaging Driver Update for September 2018“ still looking for init.d and during applying Update appear „Restarting novell-pbserv............/imaging_driver_update.sh: line 1047: /etc/init.d/novell-pbserv: No such file or directory“. Sure, systemctl work as expected.
Terv, Alar.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks...I just opened a ticket with development about this....
I thought it was reported before, but could not find the report...so I opened another just in case....
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.