JMM1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1428 views

Agent on XP sp1 ?

Hello!

I've read that agent can't be installed on windows XP SP1 workstation. I hoped to used inventory function to detect wks which have SP1 and create un bundle to upgrade this machine.

So is it impossible with ZCM to deploy agent on xp sp1? Is is another way to do this?

Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
jaredljennings Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Agent on XP sp1 ?

JMM,

> I've read that agent can't be installed on windows XP SP1 workstation.
> I hoped to used inventory function to detect wks which have SP1 and
> create un bundle to upgrade this machine.
>
> So is it impossible with ZCM to deploy agent on xp sp1? Is is another
> way to do this?


If the Network Discovery task can collect WMI information from the
workstation, then you can create reports for SP1. WMI must have the
proper Windows User-name and Password defined in the discovery task.
Also, the firewall on the workstations must either be disabled or allow
this type of information to be collected. Note that this is much easier
to do if the ZCM server and workstations are in a domain, but not
required.

I would think that SP1 workstations could use the ZCM agent, as long as
..Net 2.0 is installed. Not supported means that Novell has not tested
this, but does not mean it will not work. I think I did try an XP sp1
machine earlier this year and nothing bad happened.

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
JMM1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Agent on XP sp1 ?

Thanks again! 🙂

I can see which wks are in xp sp1 on discovery task.
The agent installation failed on this wks, we can see in the log OS version Invalid type.

I don't try to install .Net 2.0 and after push the agent, I'll try that.

So I can't use the request on inventory function to easely detectwich Wks are SP1.





jaredjennings;1415860 wrote:
JMM,

> I've read that agent can't be installed on windows XP SP1 workstation.
> I hoped to used inventory function to detect wks which have SP1 and
> create un bundle to upgrade this machine.
>
> So is it impossible with ZCM to deploy agent on xp sp1? Is is another
> way to do this?


If the Network Discovery task can collect WMI information from the
workstation, then you can create reports for SP1. WMI must have the
proper Windows User-name and Password defined in the discovery task.
Also, the firewall on the workstations must either be disabled or allow
this type of information to be collected. Note that this is much easier
to do if the ZCM server and workstations are in a domain, but not
required.

I would think that SP1 workstations could use the ZCM agent, as long as
..Net 2.0 is installed. Not supported means that Novell has not tested
this, but does not mean it will not work. I think I did try an XP sp1
machine earlier this year and nothing bad happened.

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
Main Page - ZENWorks Wiki
0 Likes
jaredljennings Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Agent on XP sp1 ?

JMM,

> I don't try to install .Net 2.0 and after push the agent, I'll try
> that.


Hum, I doubt that upgrading to .Net 2.0 will fix the problem either if
you are getting invalid OS.

Are you running ZDM at all?

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
JMM1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Agent on XP sp1 ?

No problem with deployment on xp sp2

Just ZCM, (no zenworks befor the fresh install of ZCM)


jaredjennings;1416749 wrote:
JMM,

> I don't try to install .Net 2.0 and after push the agent, I'll try
> that.


Hum, I doubt that upgrading to .Net 2.0 will fix the problem either if
you are getting invalid OS.

Are you running ZDM at all?

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
Main Page - ZENWorks Wiki
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Agent on XP sp1 ?

Here, we had to upgrade Windows XP to SP2 when they were on SP1 to be able
to install ZCM agent.


"JMM" <JMM@no-mx.forums.novell.com> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : JMM.314mpb@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> No problem with deployment on xp sp2
>
> Just ZCM, (no zenworks befor the fresh install of ZCM)
>
>
> jaredjennings;1416749 Wrote:
>> JMM,
>>
>> > I don't try to install .Net 2.0 and after push the agent, I'll try
>> > that.

>>
>> Hum, I doubt that upgrading to .Net 2.0 will fix the problem either if
>> you are getting invalid OS.
>>
>> Are you running ZDM at all?
>>
>> --
>> Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
>> Novell Support Forums Sysop
>> My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
>> 'Main Page - ZENWorks Wiki' (http://jaredjennings.org)

>
>
> --
> JMM
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> JMM's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1037
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=302168
>

0 Likes
jaredljennings Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Agent on XP sp1 ?

NH,

> Here, we had to upgrade Windows XP to SP2 when they were on SP1 to be
> able to install ZCM agent.


Is there any reason not to upgrade to SP2 from SP1?

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
JMM1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Agent on XP sp1 ?

Yes I Agree, I wondering if it's possible to do that with Zen
0 Likes
jaredljennings Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Agent on XP sp1 ?

JMM,

> Yes I Agree, I wondering if it's possible to do that with Zen


Not unless the agent is installed 🙂

You could install sp2 with login scripts though.

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.