andyj2009 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Agent refresh question

I am running ZCM 10 SP2. When a managed device boots up, it will contact the ZCM server (since the ZCM agent is installed). Does it work the same way as "agent refresh"?

If it is and if most employees have same work hours and they all power on the PCs at the same time, that will hit the server the hardest, right?

Andy
Labels (2)
0 Likes
13 Replies
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Agent refresh question

Andyj2009,

yes, it will contact the server, but by default, somewhere between 5 and 6 minutes after bootup http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/resources/help/settings_sysrefreshsched.html

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
justenglabs Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun,

When I review my logs for a workstation while booting, it appears to me that by default the agent contacts the server and checks for changes and blah when the workstation starts... It then appears to me that a second update starts at the delayed time which is specified via the ZCM Server Console.

I see in the logs that the ZCM Agent starts when the workstation boots and does it thing communicating with the server... In my case, I have the agent update set to be delayed for 7 minutes after system start. From my review of the logs, it seems to me that the agent is then attempting to update itself a second time?

Are my observations correct here?

Thanks

Phillip Roberts Assistant Network Administrator Vermont Law School
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Justenglabs,

yes, there's a partial and a full refresh...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
andyj2009 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

With patch management, I noticed after the agent contacted the server, then high CPU utilization with System + analyze.exe which could total 50% of CPU time for about 10-15 minutes which makes the PC not really useful especially first thing in the morning.

I checked and I don't have the option to exclude the refresh time outside the business hours.

Andy

spond;1899926 wrote:
Justenglabs,

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Andyj2009,

yeah, unfortunately, some of the Patch Management features in ZCM
haven't caught up with the standalone ZPM

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
hsingh25 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

spond;1899926 wrote:
Justenglabs,

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
hsingh25 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hsingh25;1930895 wrote:

Partial and a full refresh...Does the Partial refresh include/preform patch management updates. We know from looking at the link you included and the help in ZCM partial refresh does policy, configuration, registration but we really like to know if it include the patches. We don't want to do a full refresh because it include the bundle application which we like to control for installing and uninstall.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hsingh25,

patches are just special bundles, they get treated just the same for
most purposes

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
hsingh25 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

spond;1930953 wrote:
Hsingh25,

patches are just special bundles, they get treated just the same for
most purposes

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
hsingh25 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun, Does Partial Refresh, refresh patch management bundles/updates, Yes or No?.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hsingh25,

not as far as I know, because they're treated just like other bundles

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
hsingh25 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

spond;1931297 wrote:
Hsingh25,

not as far as I know, because they're treated just like other bundles

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
hsingh25 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun,

Its sound like you don't know if a "Partial Refresh" Refresh and updates patches from patch management to a management. If you don't know for sure please do not reply, I am not look for a guess, we are looking for a firm answer if you have test this or not.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.