Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Agent update - deploy to logged off workstation

I think I know the answer, but I what to double check. I would LOVE to be able to deploy the latest ZCM agent update and reboot my managed workstations after hours without any intervention on my part. However, my experience is that the agent needs to have the workstation in an active windows session. Is there a way to get the updated installed while the workstation is at a ctrl-alt-del screen?

(The reason I ask is my boss hates rebooting employee workstations during working hours due to productivity loss.)

Thanks, Chris.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Agent update - deploy to logged off workstation

Chris,

> However, my experience is that the agent needs to have the workstation in an active windows session.

not correct - it will happily install at the login screen...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
jfountaine Absent Member.
Absent Member.

spond;2197893 wrote:
Chris,

> However, my experience is that the agent needs to have the workstation in an active windows session.

not correct - it will happily install at the login screen...

--

Shaun Pond

How would we get it to do this at a control alt del screen? Do we just set the schedule and it will occur and reboot automatically? The only schedule options we have are "Now" or "Date Specific." I would like to give users the option to leave their computers on at night for this to occur. Does it matter if I set the agent to prompt the user to reboot, or will the update reboot automatically after 5 minutes if no answer is given? *Note: We do not have Wake On Lan capabilities here if that matters at all or not so this would only be for people willing to leave their computers either logged in, or at a ctrl alt del screen.
0 Likes
inverseparadox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jfountaine;2198502 wrote:
How would we get it to do this at a control alt del screen? Do we just set the schedule and it will occur and reboot automatically? The only schedule options we have are "Now" or "Date Specific."

You just associate it with either schedule, and if the workstation is logged out when that schedule hits, the update will indeed occur and reboot automatically.

I would like to give users the option to leave their computers on at night for this to occur. Does it matter if I set the agent to prompt the user to reboot, or will the update reboot automatically after 5 minutes if no answer is given?

No, this doesn't matter. I've deployed two successive Agent updates with almost this exact configuration, and I did exhaustive testing beforehand; the prompt-timeout reboot occurs even at the login screen. (This was actually a bad thing for us the first time, but the second time we figured out a way to take advantage of it.)

HOWEVER, if I'm remembering correctly, the reboot may not take place if the workstation is "logged in but locked" - i.e., at the "workstation is locked" Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. I know I ran into problems with reboots in that scenario for some deployments, I just don't remember whether the ZENworks Adaptive Agent was one of them.

*Note: We do not have Wake On Lan capabilities here if that matters at all or not so this would only be for people willing to leave their computers either logged in, or at a ctrl alt del screen.

We don't have that either, at least not for one side of our network. To deal with people who shut their computers down, I just checked the box for "deploy immediately if specified date/time is missed". That did mean that the update would run first thing in the morning when they turned the computers on, but I couldn't come up with any way to avoid that without massive overhead - and since we warned them in advance that this would happen and requested that they leave their computers on, I think it's not an unreasonable scenario.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.