tahtohi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Best way to treat licence renewal

HELLO,

I have a product for exemple excel, and there is a date of end of maintenance, i don't know what's the best way to treat this, going from the expiration date of catalog products, or -the other way- go from the licence entitlement.
If this is over can we catch a report ? as i've searched i couldn't do it but taking time to ask hehe.

Another small point: In the licence department .
Full licence= licence without renewal or upgrade ,perpetual
Upgrade = upgrade of the licence, self explanatory.
Maintenance= a licence with it's support and upgrades included.

Are these 3 above significations right or i'm missing something

Thanks again.
Taha
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Best way to treat licence renewal

Good questions, and not without nuance. And the questions can be combined into a single, if somewhat extended, answer.

On the subject of maintenance, in my experience this is usually more often a case for a contract than an actual entitlement to use the software. Here's the decision tree: At the end of the maintenance period...

• may you continue to use the software? If so, then I use a regular full-license model. I also add a contract to cover the term of the maintenance and attach that contract to the entitlement. If I renew the maintenance contract, I don't have to do anything else; it's all taken care of.
  • or are you required to stop using the software? In that case, on the General tab of the entitlement, select "Term" instead of "Perpetual" and enter the starting and ending dates of the maintenance period. At the end of the period, the compliance report will show you out of compliance until a new entitlement is added that extends the maintenance period for another term. I would also add a contract to cover all of the above.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
tahtohi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello again my friend,

I came to the conclusion that the licence entitlement licence/maintenance or the *term* is useless in my case, cause i always have the rights to use the product, and putting one of these terms just screws my whole compliance reports, so i think i'm gonna avoid it, go with perpetual and treat everything on the contract side.
Don't know if you are on the same side of toughs as me. For the upgrade entitlements, that is usefull cause if consumes the original licence model.

Thanks,Taha.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

You're on the right track as far as I'm concerned!

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
tahtohi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I copied this from the report forum, cause there is just no answers even if people check the tread, i wanted to see if you chance you could help me.

Hello guys,

The name of the post is the question here, how can i create a report to tell if any of my catalog product are expiring in the next 7 days. Thanks again.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

I'll have to check the database schema to verify where that data is stored and then the ZRS server to see if that information is exposed. I'm inclined to believe that the necessary data is not exposed through regular ZCC reports, better change that it's available in the stock ZRS domain for asset management, and of course it would be available through Jaspersoft Studio (at the cost of the time necessary to develop a custom query).

But, personally, for me the much more straightforward way to handle this is to setup a contract that includes the expiration date in a date notification. It will add only a little work, but date notifications can be delivered via email to the appropriate party(s) on the date when action needs to be taken without remembering to run the report. This is a much more reliable way to be reminded in time.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.