Trusted Contributor.. lis Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..
724 views

Block Bundle Update/install only when connected by VPN?

Hello,

ZCM 11.4: A user was connected via notebook over vpn-tunnel to our lan and also to ZCM Server. Then the zenagent updated several bundles over the slow VPN connection.

Question is now: Can we block bundles from being updated or installed when device is connected by vpn-tunnel?

The bundles should only be updated if the notebook is connected via LAN or Wlan.

Is that possible?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Block Bundle Update/install only when connected by VPN?

Lis,
> Question is now: Can we block bundles from being updated or installed
> when device is connected by vpn-tunnel?


Is there any way to detect this reliably? Do you get a separate IP
address block for VPN for example? If so, have a rule on that.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. lis Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Re: Block Bundle Update/install only when connected by VPN?

Anders Gustafsson;2407933 wrote:

Is there any way to detect this reliably? Do you get a separate IP
address block for VPN for example? If so, have a rule on that.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)


Hi Anders,

thx for the info. Indeed the address block with the vpn-client is 10.0.x.x. The Lan/Wlan address block is 192.168.x.x.

In fact I have no idea where to place the rule. Any hints?
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Block Bundle Update/install only when connected by VPN?

Lis,

Requirements for the bundle:
IP Segment: Determines the device’s IP address. After specifying the IP segment name, the two conditions you can use to set the requirement are Yes and No. If you select Yes, the device’s IP address must match the IP segment. If you select No, the IP address must not match the IP segment.

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment easy


0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. lis Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Re: Block Bundle Update/install only when connected by VPN?

Shaun Pond;2407947 wrote:
Lis,

Requirements for the bundle:
IP Segment: Determines the device’s IP address. After specifying the IP segment name, the two conditions you can use to set the requirement are Yes and No. If you select Yes, the device’s IP address must match the IP segment. If you select No, the IP address must not match the IP segment.

--

Shaun Pond


Hey Shaun,

thx for your info, but we solved it in another way. We created a location with our office town and defined 2 Network environments (LAN 192.168.0.0 and Wlan 192.168.253.0). After that we decreased the Download and Upload Throttle Rate to 5KB/s for the unknown (default) location. It works now.

Thx.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Block Bundle Update/install only when connected by VPN?

Lis,

well it doesn't block it, just makes it incredibly slow, doesn't it?
But if that works for you... 🙂

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy


0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. lis Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Re: Block Bundle Update/install only when connected by VPN?

Shaun Pond;2407960 wrote:
Lis,

well it doesn't block it, just makes it incredibly slow, doesn't it?
But if that works for you... 🙂


Hey Shaun,

it works for us. The main reason for the question was that users couldn't work cause zcm catched up nearly all the bandwith over the tunnel connection.

So we just decreased it in general and have not to modify every bundle with the ip rule.

Thx again.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Block Bundle Update/install only when connected by VPN?

Lis,

ah

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.