Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bundle Dependencies not working

Hi folks.

Any of you experienced this; when creating a bundle and added an install action ( another bundle, both msi and exe) to it, as a dependencie to it, the main bundle launches on the workstation even without installing the dependent bundle? So in this case the bundle will fail, since it's a simple call to a exe, deployed by the dependent bundle.
I looked at some of the launch options, but nothing seems to do the trick. Any good ideas?

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
35 Replies
Calimero Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Bundle Dependencies not working

Hi,

I can confirm this! I have exactly the same problem with a bundle that has an install action which should launch another bundle (install of an msi) and then should launch. Just as you described it does not trigger the launch of the dependent bundle. This worked and still works correctly on workstations with Agent 10.3.1. But I am unable to get this running on workstations with Agent 11.0 - Cumulative Agent Patch 1.

Marc
0 Likes
RTiel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

nop1983;2112923 wrote:
Hi folks.

Any of you experienced this; when creating a bundle and added an install action ( another bundle, both msi and exe) to it, as a dependencie to it, the main bundle launches on the workstation even without installing the dependent bundle? So in this case the bundle will fail, since it's a simple call to a exe, deployed by the dependent bundle.
I looked at some of the launch options, but nothing seems to do the trick. Any good ideas?

Just to be sure, have you selected "Install bundle" instead of "Launch Bundle" as a dependencie.... it's a great difference...

Remco
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes.

Still if I selected "Launch Bundle" it should install and launch the dependent application.

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nop1983,

if you raise the log to debug, do you see any errors?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'll check... get back with the result.

0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nop1983,

ok

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Spond,

I can send you the part of log files of a W7 Workstation with Agent 11 where the dependent application is not installind and form a W7 Workstation with Agent 10.3.1 where it worked correctly if this could be of any need?

--

Marc
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Calimero,

OK, I can see if it matches a bug I know is being worked on...
make sure the logs are at debug level and send to spond at novell dot
com

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,

Spond please correct me if I am wrong.

For my part I guess that I found out what the problem could likely be. In my dependent bundle I only defined an “Install Action” and no “Launch Action”.
In my main bundle I defined (don’t ask me why, certainly by inadvertence) a “Launch Bundle” as “Install Action”.
This was all in ZCM 10 environment and for ZCM 10 Agent it seems to be trivial if you have any “Launch Action” defined it will carry out the “Install Action” anyway.
Agent 11 seems to be more precise and maybe also working as designed.
If there is no “Launch Action” defined in the dependent bundle and you have defined a “Launch Bundle” in the main bundle it will simply do nothing (That’s what the log shows).
I simply added a “Display Message” as a “Launch Action” to check this out and indeed the “Install Action” has been performed.
So if you are in the same situation you can try adding a “Launch Action” in your dependent bundle to check this out.
Anyway I will now change my “Launch Bundle” to “Install Bundle” just like RTiel suggested and see if this works.

--

Marc
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at the bundles.

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi again

Nope, this is not the case. Different kind of settings on our bundles, but not as you descriped in your post, so I'll get back to the logs 😉

Thanks

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi nop1983,

Just to understand, you have "Launch Action" and "Install Action" defined in your dependent bundle and still nothing is installed when you launch the main bundle?

--

Marc
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Calimero;2113251 wrote:
Hi nop1983,

Just to understand, you have "Launch Action" and "Install Action" defined in your dependent bundle and still nothing is installed when you launch the main bundle?

--

Marc

Now I got the dependecies working, but still not working as it did in zen 7. Now when I click on the main bundle, the dependent bundle starts to install (it is a launch executable), whcich is great. But the main bundle which also is a launch executable, launches before the other bundle finish installing 😞 So I get an error, because the file it wants to launch is not installed yet. This works in zen7, but not now.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

nop1983;2113820 wrote:
Now I got the dependecies working, but still not working as it did in zen 7. Now when I click on the main bundle, the dependent bundle starts to install (it is a launch executable), whcich is great. But the main bundle which also is a launch executable, launches before the other bundle finish installing 😞 So I get an error, because the file it wants to launch is not installed yet. This works in zen7, but not now.

Hi,

In the launch executable action on the advanced tab did you check "Wait before complete" in the "Wait before proceeding to next action" option?

--

Marc
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.