Highlighted
de Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bundle report - Icon locations

Hope this will not turn out to be another unanswered question! Is there any way at all to produce a report of bundle assignments that includes the information on the "icon location" (that's what the manual calls it) e.g. desktop, NAL, menu etc.?

I see where I can do a bundle assignment with ZMAN and specify the location using an XML file, but no way to report on the existing assignments.

Any hints appreciated!

-- DE
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bundle report - Icon locations

I don't have a BOE server running any more; I've upgraded my ZENworks past 11.2.4 and I'm running the Jaspersoft ZRS server. So I can't answer the question specifically for BOE one way or the other. But, the Jaspersoft domains are similar to the BOE Universe, so I looked there - and I just can't tell from the field names. There's certainly nothing obvious. What I would do is post an item into the Ideas database for ZENworks Reporting (https://ideas.microfocus.com/mfi/novell-zr) and ask for such an element to be added to the bundles domain; they're working on bundles reporting for the next release, so this is a good time to ask for it. If the idea is accepted, the best result is it will be added to the Jaspersoft version of ZRS; BOE will not be updated further.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
de Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We do have the Jaspersoft reporting server set up too, but I don't find anything there either, as you note. What puzzles me is that you can add an assignment and include the "icon" location using ZMAN, but I don't see a way to report/query the detail even with ZMAN. ZMAN reports bundle assignments with the consumer, type of assignment, and folder ... but not the icon location (as the manual calls it.) And it is of course not provided when exporting bundle details, since it is assignment-specific (e.g. one assignment on a bundle can have the icon only on the desktop, another assignment of the same bundle can put it in the NAL & menu, etc.) What I really want is something like "assignment detail" that includes the icon location similar to how you can *assign* it. Then again, I realize just now that the assignment schedule also isn't query-able or reportable but can be entered similarly when assigning with ZMAN.

I'm just hoping I'm missing something!

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I would suggest that everything you've written here is relevant to your idea submission. There never has been a guarantee that every database field will be rendered into the ZRS platforms; there have always been attempts to include those fields considered to be most useful, but I've found over the nearly 10 years I've been working with both platforms that the user community will always have use cases that product management and engineers won't think of. There is also a Cool Solutions thread launched recently soliciting input for inventory and asset management reporting use cases, and I plan to plug away at that one as well.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
de Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Apologies for the tardy response; I have been away from work for a while.

Microfocus support was able to supply a query to run against the Oracle database and output to CSV, which covered the urgent need. And while I can see why these fields might not be included by default amongst the staggering list of items, I also note that they can be set programmatically (and therefore my brain thinks they should be query-able programmatically.)

Thanks to all for the suggestion. I don't currently have access to my work email (out on med. leave) or I would post the actual query here.
0 Likes
de Absent Member.
Absent Member.

With a VERY late response now that I'm back at work ... the query used to generate a CSV showing the assignment's icon location was:

select zzenobject.name, zassignment.type, zextraassignmentdata.value, zextraassignmentdata.name from zassignment join zzenobjecton zzenobject.zuid=zassignment.ContentUID join zextraassignmentdataon zextraassignmentdata.assignment=zassignment.zuid

That was provided by Microfocus support and worked for our requirements, though I'd sure be glad if there were an easier way to get at it.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Nice of support to provide that query - with that I could build a custom report in Jaspersoft Studio that would generate your data. I'll have to look at that one of these days.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.