WeeZel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bundle to delete desktop shortcuts

Hi,
i want do delete several shortcuts from the allusers desktop with a bundle action.
I tried the "file removal" option and specified there the desired shortcuts like: ${CommonDesktop}\example.lnk

But this won't work. I can't find any other, special option for deleting shortcuts.
Does anybody can give me a hint, how to solve this?

Best regards, WeeZel
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Calimero Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Bundle to delete desktop shortcuts

Hi WeeZel,

If it is on windows 7 try this : ${Public}\Desktop\example.lnk

--

Marc
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

WeeZel;2114929 wrote:
Hi,
i want do delete several shortcuts from the allusers desktop with a bundle action.
I tried the "file removal" option and specified there the desired shortcuts like: ${CommonDesktop}\example.lnk

But this won't work. I can't find any other, special option for deleting shortcuts.

Best regards, WeeZel

${CommonDesktop} = On a Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP device, it is typically C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop and on a Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 device, it is typically C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

Are you sure the shortcut is there and not in the users "own" profile?

Thomas
0 Likes
WeeZel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;2114942 wrote:
${CommonDesktop} = On a Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP device, it is typically C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop and on a Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 device, it is typically C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

Are you sure the shortcut is there and not in the users "own" profile?

Thomas

It's a Windows 2003 machine and i'm sure that the shortcuts are located in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\".
The variable ${CommonDesktop} should point to the right place independent on which windows version the bundle is launched. That's why i'm so confused about this... :confused:
0 Likes
Calimero Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi,

Yes ${CommonDesktop} as Thomas wrote is always pointing to the right place if you are looking for the "common or public" Desktop, but if the shortcut is on the users desktop the macro you should use is ${Desktop}.

The path I described is just another path on Windows 7 to get to C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

--

Marc
0 Likes
floort Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cool. i always use %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\ But using the macro is very nice.
I think i'm going to change all my bundles where i have put in the full name to this macro.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

WeeZel,

well it works for me when I test it - you should set the logging level
to debug reproduce the issue, then look at the zmd-messages.log to see
what's happening

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Also make sure to run the action with "admin" rights.

Thomas
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thomas,

agreed, and since it defaults to run as system user, that's made easy
🙂

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
WeeZel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

WeeZel;2114929 wrote:
Hi,

Best regards, WeeZel

Ok, now i tested my bundle on different windows types. On windows XP & 7 the bundle works fine. Only on the 2003 machine the bundle will not work. But i assume that the agent install on this machine is corrupt, cause there are also a DLU problems. 😞

However, many thanks for all your suggestions. 🙂

GreetZ, WeeZel
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.