rmorley Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CPU high utilization after patch download

I am noticing something strange on my zcm server (11.1a) ever since October 26th at around 1:30-2:30 (last week it was usually 2:40PM, this week it is happening at 1:40PM, seems like the time change made the process jump an hour) the database server cpu gets pegged. When I unload the loader service, it immediately drops, when I reload the loader service it takes about a minute and the database server cpu gets pegged again. I am noticing on my internet filter that the server is hitting *.patchlink.com just prior to the spike, and the zcc patchlink status dashboard shows that the patch files were just downloaded. The cpu spike will last for about an hour to an hour and a half. The system does get slowed down abit during that time period. It seems to me from my uninformed perspective is that the zcm server is downloading the patches in the middle of the day and then trying to process them immediately ramping up the cpu on the database (mssql2008) server. Any ideas on what I could do to fix this? Thanks for any help!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: CPU high utilization after patch download

rmorley,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
dschlieder Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I had the same issue - we added CPU's but still were running at 100% for a long time - so I ran some SQL analysis on what was going on and came up with these 2 indexes which cured that problem.

(The SDZG stands for San Diego Zoo Global so I can identify these as custom indexes)

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [SDZG_SigIDStatus] ON [dbo].[PATCHDEVICESTATUS]
(
[SIGNATURE_ID] ASC,
[status] ASC
)
INCLUDE ( [deviceId]) WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [SDZG_SigIDStatusCreated] ON [dbo].[PatchScanAuditLog]
(
[signatureId] ASC,
[status] ASC,
[createdDate] ASC
)
INCLUDE ( [deviceId]) WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
GO
0 Likes
rmorley Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In the end, I am taking a different approach. I turned of patch management. It was garbage anyways. Will look for other solutions.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.