farmers_LSD
Visitor.

CPU usage on a large bundle

I tried creating an "install folder" bundle for Autodesk Inventor. It's taking hours to build and actually froze on a white screen at one time, so not sure it will complete. It stays around 56%, for the Server, then Loader will ramp up from time to time at around 50%, maxing out the CPU frequently.

I'm just going to build a different bundle that copies it before installing, but I want to clean up the mess from this current bundle. What is the process to remove all the bits? Or will it eventually complete? It's 10GB worth of files and isn't really a high use program. I just thought I'd automate it.

Disk Usage was pretty high, but it's not bad at all now.

Windows 2012R2
ZENworks 2017U4
2 CPU/12GB RAM VM
Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: CPU usage on a large bundle

When you delete the bundle, it will eventually delete all of the bits and pieces.

Yes...Many 1000s of individual files can trip up a bundle or having ZCM Zip the content can cause issues, since the algorithm used slows down on very large files.....
Here is what I have recommended for folks packaging up a "Windows Upgrade" and should work for AutoDesk which is larger.

If possible, use the "Credential Vault" to run the Autodesk install directly from a server....even if a user is not logged in....

If you cannot install from a Share for some reason and need to use the content-repo do this...but of course instead of the Windows ISO you would use the Autodesk install source.

#1 – Expand the ISO media to something such a C:\1809. Zip the C:\1809
Folder using the “STORE” algorithm, since the files will only compress slightly and the added cost of decompressing is too high for the very small gain.
#2 - Upload the 1809.zip to the content Repo as Single File w/o compression as you were doing to upload the extracted ISO in the past.
This should process MUCH faster and download MUCH faster to agents.
#3 - Use a Bundle to Distribute the File to C:\Temp\1809.zip (Or Similar) location. (This should be relatively fast...ZCM is slow decompressing its own files due to algorithm used and is slow handling 1000s of individual
files.)
#4 – Use a Batch File Script Action to Decompress the file: powershell.exe Expand-Archive -Path c:\temp\1809.zip -DestinationPath c:\temp\1809Upgrade
#5 – The batch can then have the command to delete 1809.zip and then launch the setup.exe with desired parameters.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

One more tip....I've seen some folks run into issues automating the install.
It seems Autodesk repackaged a 4year old Windows Update for "Universal C" that is actually part of all standard "Required Update" packages and includes this in the install.
Not only is the Update so old it should not be installed on any PC anymore, the repackaged Microsofts patch installer.
Seems they have been shipping this for many years and just left it in there for reasons I can't fathom.
This repackaged installer often hangs when initiated by anyone except the logged on person. (RUnning as System, DAU, or even a "Runas".)

The Install.INI that gets created when you build an install point, can be edited to remark out this patch from trying to install.

--

Would you please backup the INSTALL.INI (Whatever it is called) and then make the following modifications….

Look for…..

PREREQUISITE=UCRT

Replace with

PREREQUISITE=
0 Likes
farmers_LSD
Visitor.

Thanks for the tip, Craig. I'll look into that.

On the ZCM side, the bundle never actually showed up. I figured I would just let it run through the afternoon but there is not bundle to delete. I do have less space, though, so the bundle pieces are somewhere. I did create a software distribution folder on the network. I used to have one for everything, but switched to doing everything through ZENworks. I don't mind have having one, though. Just not sure where to look to actually clean it up, or just ZCM recognize there is something there that shouldn't be?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Here are two common "Temp" locations...
I'd be very careful about cleaning stuff up here...
Only stuff really old and stuff older than the last system restart at least....backing up anything that gets cleaned up....

/opt/novell/zenworks/share/tomcat/temp/
/var/opt/novell/zenworks/content-repo/tmp/

Again...Touch at your own risk....

farmersLSD;2498194 wrote:
Thanks for the tip, Craig. I'll look into that.

On the ZCM side, the bundle never actually showed up. I figured I would just let it run through the afternoon but there is not bundle to delete. I do have less space, though, so the bundle pieces are somewhere. I did create a software distribution folder on the network. I used to have one for everything, but switched to doing everything through ZENworks. I don't mind have having one, though. Just not sure where to look to actually clean it up, or just ZCM recognize there is something there that shouldn't be?
0 Likes
farmers_LSD
Visitor.

Thanks. I found the files in /tomcat/temp that matched the Autodesk bundle, so deleted those. They were only 2.4 out of the 10+ GB. There is some more missing space, but maybe due to something else regarding the bombed bundle and will clear up. Not enough to make a huge deal out of it. There are several older folders in /temp. They aren't taking up much room, but are those safe to delete? /content-repo/tmp has about 15 or so. Most are empty, but some have content in them. Considering your warning, I assume I should just leave it? LOL

On positive note, I just ran the installer from the network drive and everything is fine. I didn't get to time it as I had to take care of other stuff, but it installed with the normal command-line. I agree, previously their installers weren't ideal, but Inventor 2020 couldn't have been much easier. During the initial install, I selected the deployment option and it put everything in a folder. There there is an SCCM text file that has the install command. I just pointed it to the network install SETUP.EXE and arguments and it was fine. I found the UCRT option you mentioned, but it was Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable, but left it, just to test with. On Windows 10 1809 I didn't have an issue. I will test on some other machines and will delete that if needed. I haven't tested as a regular user, so that's next.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks....They likely updated the C++ stuff from the version I was helping a customer with.......
0 Likes
farmers_LSD
Visitor.

Yes. The UCRT section does reference a KB file from 2016, also. Either way, I tested it on a student account and it works fine, also. I know the last time I looked at deploying, it was a bit more cumbersome, but this really wasn't too bad. I'll just let it on the share I have unless it causes a problem, them I'll look at the ZIP option. Thanks for all the help!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 12:34:02 GMT, CRAIGDWILSON
<CRAIGDWILSON@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
>One more tip....I've seen some folks run into issues automating the
>install.
>It seems Autodesk repackaged a 4year old Windows Update for "Universal
>C" that is actually part of all standard "Required Update" packages and
>includes this in the install.
>Not only is the Update so old it should not be installed on any PC
>anymore, the repackaged Microsofts patch installer.
>Seems they have been shipping this for many years and just left it in
>there for reasons I can't fathom.

Because they are Autodesk...makers of bloatware and bad installers.
I've had to deal with it for years.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.