sjdimare1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CTRL+ALT+DEL - not greyed out but still not working

Hello all,

I have seen posts regarding CTRL+ALT+DEL for greyed out and not working and I have read through them but they do not meet our criteria so hence the new post.

We have added Windows 7 64 bit PCs to our network but send CTRL+ALT+DEL is not working on those devices. UAC is enabled.

Also, remote wake up does not seem to be working on these new systems either, if that is related in any way. Onboard NIC is driver is set to allow wake on magic packet and the BIOS is configured to allow booting from onboard NIC.

The systems in question are Dell Optiplex 9020.

Remote control works fine once a user is logged in. Sending Windows key CTRL+ESC works once logged in. Sending CTRL+ALT+DEL still does not work when logged in.

All of our older Windows 7 32 bit machines wok without incident.

Our ZCM servers are running 11.4.3. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve DiMare
Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: CTRL+ALT+DEL - not greyed out but still not working

All I can suggest is a Service Request in regards to the Ctrl-Alt-Del.
There are not any known issues with it being greyed out that I can recall, other than when UAC is Disabled.....which then requires a GPO Setting. (Windows Security Requirement...)

As far as WOL, ZCM has nothing to do with WOL at the device level.
That is all hardware and Windows configuration.

ZCM's role is in generating the packet to go across the network.
When ZCM Generates a packet...it sends it to the particular subnet on which a device is located.
Some products send it to All networks.

For Example.
Let's say the PC is on 10.10.4.x (Remember, when it is OFF...it does not have an IP address...it is just attached to a defined subnet on a switch.)
ZCM will generate a packet and send it to 10.10.4.255

Most "Dumb" WOL products will send the packet to 255.255.255.255
So that packets get sent to
(Flooding ALL networks...)

The permission to pass SUBNET Broadcasts (Broadcasts sent to just ONE subnet) is managed separately from allowing a switch to pass FULL broadcasts (255.255.255.255)
Many products lack the ability to target broadcasts....so often the FULL is allowed but not the targeted and more efficient Subnet Broadcast.

sjdimare;2484907 wrote:
Hello all,

I have seen posts regarding CTRL+ALT+DEL for greyed out and not working and I have read through them but they do not meet our criteria so hence the new post.

We have added Windows 7 64 bit PCs to our network but send CTRL+ALT+DEL is not working on those devices. UAC is enabled.

Also, remote wake up does not seem to be working on these new systems either, if that is related in any way. Onboard NIC is driver is set to allow wake on magic packet and the BIOS is configured to allow booting from onboard NIC.

The systems in question are Dell Optiplex 9020.

Remote control works fine once a user is logged in. Sending Windows key CTRL+ESC works once logged in. Sending CTRL+ALT+DEL still does not work when logged in.

All of our older Windows 7 32 bit machines wok without incident.

Our ZCM servers are running 11.4.3. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve DiMare
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Here is a good TID....(Older but basics have not changed...)
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7004716

Troubleshooting Tips...
#1 - Check Server Logs to see if a Packet is Transmitted. (Never ever seen a packet NOT sent when logs claim it is sent....)
#2 - With the Target PC ON....Run a Wireshark Trace.

If the Server Logs show there WAS a packet sent, then there is a Non-ZCM issue with the switches or the PC.
If the Server Logs show a packet was NOT sent, then it is necessary to Troubleshoot ZCM.

If the Server Logs show the packet was SENT, but NOT received by the PC as shown by Wireshark, then there is a Router/Switch configuration issue.
If Wireshark shows receiving he WOL packet, then there is a PC Issue with the OS/UEFI/BIOS. (No ZCM Software controls handling WOL...that is at the HW level...)
0 Likes
sjdimare1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the replies. The WoL issue is fixed in the BIOS with the Dell Optiplex 9020s.

There is a setting under Power Management>Deep Sleep Control. This needs to be set to disable for WoL to work.

I still need to resolve the CTRL+ALT+DEL not working when remote controlling these systems.

They are Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. They are running the ZCM agent version 11.4.3.23202.

Thanks again for the speedy replies.

Steve D.
0 Likes
sjdimare1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Looks like the Deep Sleep Mode set to disable fixed the CTRL+ALT+DEL issue as well.

So problems have been resolved.

Steve D.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks for Feedback!

sjdimare;2484939 wrote:
Looks like the Deep Sleep Mode set to disable fixed the CTRL+ALT+DEL issue as well.

So problems have been resolved.

Steve D.
0 Likes
sjdimare1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OK. So I thought the issue with CTRL+ALT+DEL was resolved because I could get into a systemm sending the CTRL+ALT+DEL. After a restart, that did not work any longer.

I have verified that it is still working on out other systems so it is not ZENworks related, IMO. Now it is just the question of what may be causing this issue.

I am going to try and do a BIOS update on the Dell Optiplex 9020 - ours are currently at A16 and the latest release is A23. I will post back the resolution when I find it.

Steve D.
0 Likes
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just a polite aside - this is not related to ZENworks Asset Management...

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
sjdimare1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bruce,

Where would you suggest I post this issue? When I searched for CTRL+ALT+DEL issues, other threads were under this heading.

All,

Here is my latest update: I updated the BIOS on the 9020 to A23. Send CTRL+ALT+DEL worked right after the update but once you logged in reotely, you could not actually remote control anything. If you closed the remote session and reopened it, you had control. I thought maybe I had a resolution but I have a 10x rule. If a fix works 10x in a row, it is a fix. If not, well... Everything appeared to continue on the same path until the 6th reboot, then failure again.

I next tried to find a NIC update. Ended up getting the onboard NIC driver directly from the Intel website. Similar results to the BIOS fix but this time it failed after the third reboot.

Lastly, I tried to update the onboard Intel 4000 video driver. Went to Intel's website for their latest driver, it did not even allow it to work once, no change.

Any other ideas about what I could be looking for? I did see an older post that suggested the greyed out CTRL+ALT+DEL for the dell Optiplex 9020s was resolved by using BIOS A02 but those posts suggested that Dell was aware of the problem and it should be fixed in BIOS A07. Since we are running A16 and Dell has released A23, I am thinking these are old solutions.

Steve D.
0 Likes
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Interesting that other similar posts have found there way to this sub-forum. There is a Remote Management sub-forum which strikes me as the better spot for the discussion. Asset Management in ZENworks includes the areas of software license management and compliance, software usage, and contract management.

Seriously, however, hope you resolve your issue soonest!

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.