Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3716 views

Compiled driver - invalid module format

Hi,

I am trying to compile my first driver for Zenworks ( I have both Zen
7SP1IR1HP1 and ZCM10, imaging appears to be essentially the same ). I
finally set up a SLES10 server on that very hardware with the NIC I need a
driver for ( I got a source code r8168-8.004.00 from Realtek ). I registered
the server and got kernel updated - running default, not smp, 32 bit kernel
2.6.16.27-0.9-default. When I PXE boot from Zen 7 server I have a
2.6.16.46-0.12-default kernel.

I followed the documentation, downloaded linux-2.6.16.46-0.12-pulsar.tgz,
created a symlink and ran 'module clean install' as per Realtek readme that
produced a r8168.ko file. I then tried running 'insmod r8168.ko' at the bash
prompt of my Zen PXE Linux ( just want to see if the module will load at
all ). I have tried several time double checking all steps but every time I
end up with that error -1 Invalid module format. I did not modify uname as I
thought there was need for me to.

I had to compile that very driver first to get my SLES10 machine connected
and it works fine. It even seems to work with the version I compiled with
Zen patch ( installed by accident on the server ) but not from Zenworks bash
prompt.

Could you point me in the right direction as to what would be the next thing
to check or to try ? The driver that is included with 7SP1IR1HP1 ( r1000 )
generally works but imaging seems to be pretty slow with it, so I thought I
might as well learn how to compile those ..

Andrew



Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Compiled driver - invalid module format

Andrew T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to compile my first driver for Zenworks ( I have both Zen
> 7SP1IR1HP1 and ZCM10, imaging appears to be essentially the same ). I
> finally set up a SLES10 server on that very hardware with the NIC I need a
> driver for ( I got a source code r8168-8.004.00 from Realtek ). I registered
> the server and got kernel updated - running default, not smp, 32 bit kernel
> 2.6.16.27-0.9-default. When I PXE boot from Zen 7 server I have a
> 2.6.16.46-0.12-default kernel.
>
> I followed the documentation, downloaded linux-2.6.16.46-0.12-pulsar.tgz,
> created a symlink and ran 'module clean install' as per Realtek readme that
> produced a r8168.ko file. I then tried running 'insmod r8168.ko' at the bash
> prompt of my Zen PXE Linux ( just want to see if the module will load at
> all ). I have tried several time double checking all steps but every time I
> end up with that error -1 Invalid module format. I did not modify uname as I
> thought there was need for me to.
>
> I had to compile that very driver first to get my SLES10 machine connected
> and it works fine. It even seems to work with the version I compiled with
> Zen patch ( installed by accident on the server ) but not from Zenworks bash
> prompt.
>
> Could you point me in the right direction as to what would be the next thing
> to check or to try ? The driver that is included with 7SP1IR1HP1 ( r1000 )
> generally works but imaging seems to be pretty slow with it, so I thought I
> might as well learn how to compile those ..
>
> Andrew
>
>
>


Have you tried compiling on a SLES 10 SP1 server?

---Kurt
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Compiled driver - invalid module format

> Have you tried compiling on a SLES 10 SP1 server?

No, I installed that SLES10 from a Novell promo ( trial ) DVD without SP1.
Why, does it matter ? I will try to apply SP1 via online update then .. as
all other SLES we have are 64 bit so I had to find one that was not. Is it
possible to compile a driver for Zen on a 64 bit Linux ? Cross compiling
is it ?

Andrew

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Compiled driver - worked Ok

I have updated SLES10 with the latest patches / SP and recompiled the driver
which then loaded Ok from bash prompt in PXE, woo hoo. Thanks for the hint
although I should have read p.809 65.5 Adding or Updating LAN Drivers
properly where it does say "Zenworks 7 is based on SLES10 SP1, kernel
version 2.6.16.46-0.12".

Andrew

"Andrew T" <a@b.com> wrote in message
news:cMX9j.10954$k06.24@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>> Have you tried compiling on a SLES 10 SP1 server?

>
> No, I installed that SLES10 from a Novell promo ( trial ) DVD without SP1.
> Why, does it matter ? I will try to apply SP1 via online update then .. as
> all other SLES we have are 64 bit so I had to find one that was not. Is it
> possible to compile a driver for Zen on a 64 bit Linux ? Cross compiling
> is it ?
>
> Andrew
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Compiled driver - invalid module format

Andrew T wrote:
>> Have you tried compiling on a SLES 10 SP1 server?

>
> No, I installed that SLES10 from a Novell promo ( trial ) DVD without
> SP1. Why, does it matter ? I will try to apply SP1 via online update
> then .. as all other SLES we have are 64 bit so I had to find one that
> was not. Is it possible to compile a driver for Zen on a 64 bit Linux ?
> Cross compiling is it ?
>
> Andrew
>


Nope, you have to compile on the default kernel. There might be a way
but I do not know of a way.

---Kurt
0 Likes
Highlighted
jeffgdowns25 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Compiled driver - invalid module format

Andrew, I am having the same issue with this. Would it be possible to contact me? my email is jdowns@sripley.k12.in.us
0 Likes
resinblade Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Compiled driver - invalid module format

i spent i think 3 days figuring this out. make sure you have "module versioning support" disabled in the kernel config before compiling. also make sure any SMP features are turned off as well (symmetric multi-processing support).

here's some pics:
http://resinblade.net/images/linux/kern1.png
http://resinblade.net/images/linux/kern2.png

eric

eric m. bouse
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.