Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Continue on failure checkbox?

OK, let's say I have a Windows Bundle.
In the Install Actions I have 2 actions.

First one deploys a registry key in the HKCU hive
Second Action deploys a registry key in the HKLM hive.

WITHOUT checking the "continue on failure" box, if the first action fails (for whatever reason), should Action #2 run?
I would think it should not proceed to Action #2 without checking the box.

But perhaps I'm missing something somewhere?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Continue on failure checkbox?

No it should not, but check the "Advanced Tab" or it may not apply as you would expect, which could lead to one thinking it failed when it had actually worked.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

CRAIGDWILSON;2426487 wrote:
No it should not, but check the "Advanced Tab" or it may not apply as you would expect, which could lead to one thinking it failed when it had actually worked.

Thanks Craig. Advanced tab is set to run as User, if that's what you mean.

We've found 2 workstations so far where the 1st key *appears* to not have overwritten the existing key/value, but then went on to process the 2nd action.

But I have no 100% confirmation (difficult to tell after the fact) so I wanted to make sure I hadn't setup something incorrectly (always a possibility).
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

kjhurni;2426489 wrote:
Thanks Craig. Advanced tab is set to run as User, if that's what you mean.

We've found 2 workstations so far where the 1st key *appears* to not have overwritten the existing key/value, but then went on to process the 2nd action.

But I have no 100% confirmation (difficult to tell after the fact) so I wanted to make sure I hadn't setup something incorrectly (always a possibility).

Yup as "User" should work.
Any Chance the bundle ran when there was not a user logged on?

Look in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\........
This is where HKCU would update if there is not a user logged on.....

This is the key that "SYSTEM" uses for it's profile.
It does "NOT" alter new profiles.....MS Just wanted to confuse people by having 2 Different "Default" profiles......

I suspect you know this, but lots of lurkers may not.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

CRAIGDWILSON;2426513 wrote:
Yup as "User" should work.
Any Chance the bundle ran when there was not a user logged on?

Look in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\........
This is where HKCU would update if there is not a user logged on.....

This is the key that "SYSTEM" uses for it's profile.
It does "NOT" alter new profiles.....MS Just wanted to confuse people by having 2 Different "Default" profiles......

I suspect you know this, but lots of lurkers may not.

I'm guessing "no" to the first question since the bundle is assigned to the user, on event User Login. Plus it's Bundle Order is set high enough that it runs after some other stuff (my timing is about 1 minute after my fastest login is when it starts doing things).

Wouldn't surprise me if these are messed up workstations, but I wanted to rule out some things.

I forgot about the .Default area to check. Thanks!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Kjhurni,
> WITHOUT checking the "continue on failure" box, if the first action
> fails (for whatever reason), should Action #2 run?

I would say: no.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.