jfansell Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1067 views

'Copy if newer and exists' option

Hi,
I created a bundle which installs a file to a Windows 7 PC based on the fact that the file exists on the PC and it is older than the file to be installed. I didn't set any system requirements and assumed that the 'copy if newer and exists' command would be sufficient. I found that it works in that it replaces the file if it exists, no problem. If the file and folder don't exist it actually creates the missing folder structure, but does not copy the file. Is it supposed to do this? If it is then it makes no sense, if not it's a bug. I've done the same thing in Zen 7 and it worked fine.

Zen 11.2.3a, Win 7 32 bit.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: 'Copy if newer and exists' option

I have not verified myself, but that does not sound like the proper
behavior to me...............

On 8/16/2013 8:16 AM, jfansell wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I created a bundle which installs a file to a Windows 7 PC based on the
> fact that the file exists on the PC and it is older than the file to be
> installed. I didn't set any system requirements and assumed that the
> 'copy if newer and exists' command would be sufficient. I found that it
> works in that it replaces the file if it exists, no problem. If the
> file and folder don't exist it actually creates the missing folder
> structure, but does not copy the file. Is it supposed to do this? If it
> is then it makes no sense, if not it's a bug. I've done the same thing
> in Zen 7 and it worked fine.
>
> Zen 11.2.3a, Win 7 32 bit.
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: 'Copy if newer and exists' option

craig_wilson;2277558 wrote:
I have not verified myself, but that does not sound like the proper
behavior to me...............

On 8/16/2013 8:16 AM, jfansell wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I created a bundle which installs a file to a Windows 7 PC based on the
> fact that the file exists on the PC and it is older than the file to be
> installed. I didn't set any system requirements and assumed that the
> 'copy if newer and exists' command would be sufficient. I found that it
> works in that it replaces the file if it exists, no problem. If the
> file and folder don't exist it actually creates the missing folder
> structure, but does not copy the file. Is it supposed to do this? If it
> is then it makes no sense, if not it's a bug. I've done the same thing
> in Zen 7 and it worked fine.
>
> Zen 11.2.3a, Win 7 32 bit.
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.


I believe it's working as designed. As Craig is fond of telling me:
ZEN7 is not ZCM (or ZCM is not ZEN7)

For example, in ZFD7 you could have a requirement:
if file version doesn't equal BLAH

and that covered the scenerios:
1) if the file was present and not that version
AND
2) If the file wasn't there at all

But in ZCM, you need to explicitly mention BOTH options to cover the same scenario:
If file doesn't exist,
AND
if file version isn't BLAH

So I think the copy if exists and newer only covers the scenario where the file HAS TO BE THERE.
0 Likes
jfansell Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 'Copy if newer and exists' option

The problem is not that the file isn't copied when it doesn't exist- that is ok and what I am trying to achieve, the problem is that it creates a folder structure which didn't previously exist, for no apparent reason. We still run Zen 7 on our XP machines so I know that I created almost precisely the same bundle with both, and Zen 7 did it correctly.
Hence I have 1000 + machines with a folder structure for an application which has never been installed, as I didn't spot this bug during testing, which is my fault. Not a massive problem and it hasn't broken anything but I now have to script something to clean it up. It's all time consuming.

kjhurni;2277572 wrote:
I believe it's working as designed. As Craig is fond of telling me:
ZEN7 is not ZCM (or ZCM is not ZEN7)

For example, in ZFD7 you could have a requirement:
if file version doesn't equal BLAH

and that covered the scenerios:
1) if the file was present and not that version
AND
2) If the file wasn't there at all

But in ZCM, you need to explicitly mention BOTH options to cover the same scenario:
If file doesn't exist,
AND
if file version isn't BLAH

So I think the copy if exists and newer only covers the scenario where the file HAS TO BE THERE.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: 'Copy if newer and exists' option

Exactly, It should not be creating the Folder Structure in cases where
it is not copying the file. Hence I would recommend an SR.
If you cannot make an SR, let me know.

On 8/19/2013 5:46 AM, jfansell wrote:
>
> The problem is not that the file isn't copied when it doesn't exist-
> that is ok and what I am trying to achieve, the problem is that it
> creates a folder structure which didn't previously exist, for no
> apparent reason. We still run Zen 7 on our XP machines so I know that I
> created almost precisely the same bundle with both, and Zen 7 did it
> correctly.
> Hence I have 1000 + machines with a folder structure for an application
> which has never been installed, as I didn't spot this bug during
> testing, which is my fault. Not a massive problem and it hasn't broken
> anything but I now have to script something to clean it up. It's all
> time consuming.
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
jfansell Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 'Copy if newer and exists' option

OK Craig, I already submitted a bug report- should I also open a service request?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: 'Copy if newer and exists' option

Could speed the process.
Make sure to get me the SR.

On 8/19/2013 9:56 AM, jfansell wrote:
>
> OK Craig, I already submitted a bug report- should I also open a service
> request?
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.