tahtohi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Creating a licenced product

Hello,

Is it a good idea to have one single licenced product for multiple version of the same products, but multiple rights?
In my case i'm doing lot of upgrades and renewalls, having 2different LP doesn't allow me to do that.
What do you think?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating a licenced product

It's always best to have one licensed product record per software product. You can track the complete history of the product - new license purchases, upgrades - in one place. As soon as you begin to break things up them you run into problems.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
tahtohi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, then my inventory are good for now but how do you personnally deal with this case-i got my technique- but i wanna see how do you do it :
If i have a ProductNameA 2015 , i wanna renew that product to 2016 but just for a quantity X, and i don't want this to screw the quantites.
Because i want to have my ProductNameA conformity in check, and renew just the quantity X so its like consumming without having to put a date instead of perpetual for the ProductNameA.
Because renewalls are like purchases i don't want the quantity to add up .
I personnally went with the upgrade but i don't know if it's good in the long run
0 Likes
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well, if 2015 to 2016 is an actual version change, then it's an upgrade. You don't have to upgrade all copies - some will remain at 2015 and the compliance reporting with show that. If it's an annual term-limited subscription, then you have it licensed for "x" in 2015 and "y" in 2016. That's not an exact situation I have seen before, but that's the nature of software license management. The publishers are constantly changing the way their software is licensed and we in the SAM community just have to keep up!

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.