Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Creating shortcuts

I am trying to figure out how to create a simple shortcut to an execute. I
want to use ZCM to install a file into Program Files and then put a short
cut in the program menu that points to it after the installation. For
example, ZCM copies test.exe to c:program filestest apptest.exe. The
shortcut should point to test.exe. I don't see any easy way to do this
simple task. Am I missing something obvious?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: Creating shortcuts

2 tasks...

1) install action, do a install file and upload your test.exe
2) execute action, lauch windows executable

0 Likes
Absent Member.

That's not really what I want, although it might be suitable. Thanks.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

This doesn't really do what I want. The first time the user runs the
application it copies the file and then launches the application as
expected. The next time I select it nothing happens. What I want is to
copy the file once and after that just launch the executable each time it
is selected. Is there a way to do this?

0 Likes
Jarv1s Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have ran into the same problem, for some reason "Create Shortcut" seems to have been missed out of the current release of ZCM. It is also seems impossible to upload an .lnk file into ZCM because when you select a .lnk file IE tries to upload the file it points to and not the .lnk itself. (I think this is an IE issue rather than a ZCM issue).

The way I got around it was to use an execute "Windows Executable Action" within the bundle and a file share. I first created a new share on the ZENWorks server and gave all users read access to it. I then created my .lnk file and copied it to the network share. I then used a "Launch Windows Executable Action" in the bundle with the following command-

Executable - c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
Parameters- \c "copy /y "\\server\share\link.lnk c:\docume~1\%username%\startm~1\programs"

I had to use 8.3 file names because long file names do not work in the above command. I would have preferred to do this using a Script Action but these do not work correctly in ZCM.

I hope this helps, this is how I am currently working around this particular issue.

Regards

Jonathan
0 Likes
Absent Member.

under the install tab, choose either install once per device, install once
per user, or install always

0 Likes
Chapindad Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I would just create two bundles. One to install the app and another simple application that points at the local application. I do it all the time.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.