Highlighted
farmers_LSD Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Creative Cloud Bundle

I have a bundle using Packages from Adobe.  I tried the EXE and it installs, then rolls back.  I had support remote it, and he said Acrobat was failing, so he ran the MSI locally and installed fine.  I change my command to Launch Executable and using "msiexed /i "Path to MSI" /qn" and it's not working. 

I had it set to "When Action is Complete" and had another bundle that failed with that, so tried changing to "No Wait".  Same behavior.  It installs everything, then uninstalls everything.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Creative Cloud Bundle

I haven't tried Creative Cloud specifically, but my method for creating bundles is to do the install manually and then mimic that within the bundle.  If you run your msi command manually from a cmd window, does it work or does it also roll back?  You might want to consider using the Install MSI action instead of Launch Executable.  You may also need to use Secure System User or Dynamic Administrator to insure rights are correct.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Generally there is very very rarely anything ZCM related in these type of events.

I might suggest changing /QN to /QB while troubleshooting.  This generally causes the specific error causing the install failure to be piped to the screen.  Adding some switches to generate MSI logs would be useful too as those logs could have even more detail, but can be far harder to decipher than the error message that /QN is likely suppressing.

0 Likes
farmers_LSD Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I didn't think it would be anything ZCM related.  It was odd that I had that one issue with the Wait option for that one bundle, but one I set to not wait, it completed fine.  

I appreciate the input. I FINALLY stumbled across this thread on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SCCM/comments/bj7dz6/adobe_cc_2019/

What I ended up doing was building a package without XD and Acrobat (even though it was fine, but recommended to leave out by someone else).  I have a separate bundle for Acrobat, anyway.  Once I removed XD, the install went without a hitch.  Testing it on the rest of the lab machines right now, but looks look.

I forget about the logging info sometimes, and /QB, also.

I just wasn't sure because with Adobe Support running the installers manually, it installed everything just fine.  Run it in ZENworks, not fine....

Did it on another machine, same thing.  Once XD is removed, no issues.  I was so odd, I couldn't figure it out.  Also, with the Adobe install logs, it was all Greek to me.  I couldn't make out anything obvious.  Now that I know the issue, I'll go back and see what I missed.

Thanks for the information, Craig.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks for the Update....

Reading the other link, makes me think of a rare issue I only recall seeing once before.  An installer had issues running in any "Security Context" other than the logged on user.  So if "ZCM" was set to "Run as User", it was fine if user was an administrator.  If set to "SYSTEM" or "DAU" it would fail.  Of course if you emulated running as an alternate user outside of ZCM it would fail too.  This would make it seem like a ZCM issue since normally to test someone would just logon as an admin and test.

The one case I saw previously was an "AutoDesk" install.  Specifically when it called the install of the "Universal C++" patch.  However, that patch was about 4 years old and "AutoDesk" had repackaged Microsoft's Patch.  Excluding that patch resolved the issue as well as replacing the "AutoDesk's" repackaged patch with the actual MS patch. 

So I wonder if something about that Adobe install is similar.  It would explain why others were also replicating the issue of the install working outside of the deployment system but failing in the deployment system.

Again...nothing ZCM could easily do with that, though there is an option for MSIs to elevate the user to administrator, it's not a setting I normally recommend.  It could result in a password prompt.  The prior case was the only time it would have helped, but even in that case the problem was with a non-MSI so even then it would not have helped.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.