Highlighted
cstaples Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DLU and WinXP

We are running into issues upgrading workstations from ZFD4 to ZCM 10.2.x. We have Windows XP SP3 workstations that DLU does not work. The DLU policy is workstation associated, and according the the policy bundle it's successful, but we are still receiving the second login box.

We are at a complete loss. I've looked into the debug logs, but see nothing there. We've uninstalled and reinstalled the novell client, .net, ZCM Agent and anything else we can think of. If we create a new image, everything works fine so my assumption is something in the existing workstations are preventing DLU from working properly. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

We are currently on 10.2.2.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
13 Replies
kfreise Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DLU and WinXP

cstaples;1908549 wrote:
We are running into issues upgrading workstations from ZFD4 to ZCM 10.2.x. We have Windows XP SP3 workstations that DLU does not work. The DLU policy is workstation associated, and according the the policy bundle it's successful, but we are still receiving the second login box.

We are at a complete loss. I've looked into the debug logs, but see nothing there. We've uninstalled and reinstalled the novell client, .net, ZCM Agent and anything else we can think of. If we create a new image, everything works fine so my assumption is something in the existing workstations are preventing DLU from working properly. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

We are currently on 10.2.2.

Sounds like your devices aren't registered. Check the Z and it might show they are Unmanaged. This would prevent the DLU policy from being delivered to the PC to allow LDAP logins.

It could also have something to do with how you are preparing the image. I believe with 10.2.2 there is a new argument for zac fsg -g to create a new guid, which in theory reduces the amount of prep-work.

My best luck has been using sysprep to install the ZenAgent after a base image is applied to devices. I put the agent and a batch file on an addon image.
0 Likes
cstaples Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kfreise;1908557 wrote:
Sounds like your devices aren't registered. Check the Z and it might show they are Unmanaged. This would prevent the DLU policy from being delivered to the PC to allow LDAP logins.

It could also have something to do with how you are preparing the image. I believe with 10.2.2 there is a new argument for zac fsg -g to create a new guid, which in theory reduces the amount of prep-work.

My best luck has been using sysprep to install the ZenAgent after a base image is applied to devices. I put the agent and a batch file on an addon image.

The workstations are registered. They are pulling three policies, two of which work.

I'm looking at the base image now. We have about 20 different images for labs; all work.

The only problem I have seems to be upgrading pre-existing ZFD workstations to ZCM. If we start from scratch, everything works fine.
0 Likes
kfreise Absent Member.
Absent Member.

cstaples;1908565 wrote:
The workstations are registered. They are pulling three policies, two of which work.

I'm looking at the base image now. We have about 20 different images for labs; all work.

The only problem I have seems to be upgrading pre-existing ZFD workstations to ZCM. If we start from scratch, everything works fine.

That's what I ended up doing when we migrated from Zen7 to 10 almost a year ago.

We were wasting too much time on getting migrations to work so we restarted from scratch. Not the answer you're looking for.
0 Likes
cstaples Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No, but that's what I was thinking. I'm not sure if anyone has successfully migrated from ZFD to ZCM without any of these issues. I've got 600 workstations to go, and migrating profiles/user data is going to be a nightmere; and I plan on using personality migration.

I'm figuring there is a reason DLU is not working, and I'm guessing it's a software based confliction. I'm not 100% of what the ZCM Agent uses regarding policies. I thought it was a .net problem, but I've eliminated that.....I think.
0 Likes
kfreise Absent Member.
Absent Member.

cstaples;1908574 wrote:
No, but that's what I was thinking. I'm not sure if anyone has successfully migrated from ZFD to ZCM without any of these issues. I've got 600 workstations to go, and migrating profiles/user data is going to be a nightmere; and I plan on using personality migration.

I'm figuring there is a reason DLU is not working, and I'm guessing it's a software based confliction. I'm not 100% of what the ZCM Agent uses regarding policies. I thought it was a .net problem, but I've eliminated that.....I think.

Its not .NET, I can assure you that. I was scratching my head on that thought awhile months ago.

It most likely is some form of conflict with legacy Zen something-or-other.

A little heads up: Careful when you migrate bundles. We had one cause a loop that ate up 100% cpu usage 24/7. I ended up deleting all bundles and recreating them and we got our resources back.
0 Likes
cstaples Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks on the .NET.

Assuming it's a migration issue from legacy software, you would think people would have reported this, and Novell would have taken an interest.

I'm pretty much at my wits end with ZCM. It's a good product, shows incredible potential but I still view it as Beta. With all the known issues, it would be great for Novell to set up another mechanism to report issues besides SR's. The forums are a great tool, but I don't expect Novell to throw resources at it.

I recreated our bundles from scratch after having issues with migration. I figured it was quicker to recreate, rather then troubleshoot migrated application objects.
0 Likes
kfreise Absent Member.
Absent Member.

cstaples;1908614 wrote:
Thanks on the .NET.

Assuming it's a migration issue from legacy software, you would think people would have reported this, and Novell would have taken an interest.

I'm pretty much at my wits end with ZCM. It's a good product, shows incredible potential but I still view it as Beta. With all the known issues, it would be great for Novell to set up another mechanism to report issues besides SR's. The forums are a great tool, but I don't expect Novell to throw resources at it.

I recreated our bundles from scratch after having issues with migration. I figured it was quicker to recreate, rather then troubleshoot migrated application objects.

Creating a Zen10 environment from the ground up works OK, but I could never get migration to work right.
0 Likes
cstaples Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I finally got one of my problem children to work, however the problem is still unidentified.

I removed the Novell Client, ZFD Agent, .NET 3.5 SP1 and below, and reinstalled the Client and ZCM Agent. It works now. I've tried to uninstall individually, in different configurations and it seems that both need removal, a reboot and reinstallation.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Well, My theory was that there were some old ZFD 3.x Components in the
Windows Directory that shipped with Old Versions of Client32.
These are not always cleaned up well.
Maybe somehow they were getting in the way.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.

"cstaples" <cstaples@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:cstaples.43lx2q@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> I finally got one of my problem children to work, however the problem is
> still unidentified.
>
> I removed the Novell Client, ZFD Agent, .NET 3.5 SP1 and below, and
> reinstalled the Client and ZCM Agent. It works now. I've tried to
> uninstall individually, in different configurations and it seems that
> both need removal, a reboot and reinstallation.
>
>
> --
> cstaples
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> cstaples's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=55838
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=396555
>

0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just my 2 cents, we we're a zen 7 environment for awhile, and when zcm10 came along, I looked into migration, but after looking into it, I decided just to build the bundles from the ground up, to match the new system I was building from the ground up..and now everything is working great. I did however struggle in the begging as you did with DLU. I really found that DNS solved a lot of my issues, I not only set up DNS, but also Dynamic DNS for all my workstations to self register in DNS. It also really helped with user sources, as soon as I set up forward and reverse DNS, all of my user source policies, DLU policy etc, starting working well. I work in a school system and we need DLU with the type of kids we have, its also nice to have one tight integrated login.

Its nice, I applied a tight workstation device policy, as well as a DLU policy for my user source. If the kids try and login workstation only, they get locked down so hard they want to login to thier user account, when they do, they get a little more freedom, but the're fully trackable by username, which is nice...

craig_wilson;1908702 wrote:
Well, My theory was that there were some old ZFD 3.x Components in the
Windows Directory that shipped with Old Versions of Client32.
These are not always cleaned up well.
Maybe somehow they were getting in the way.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.

"cstaples" <cstaples@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:cstaples.43lx2q@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> I finally got one of my problem children to work, however the problem is
> still unidentified.
>
> I removed the Novell Client, ZFD Agent, .NET 3.5 SP1 and below, and
> reinstalled the Client and ZCM Agent. It works now. I've tried to
> uninstall individually, in different configurations and it seems that
> both need removal, a reboot and reinstallation.
>
>
> --
> cstaples
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> cstaples's Profile: NOVELL FORUMS - View Profile: cstaples
> View this thread: DLU and WinXP - NOVELL FORUMS
>
0 Likes
cstaples Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just an update. After Craig gave his input on the Novell Client, I went back and revisited it. I was able to pinpoint the Novell Client as our culprit. Removeing the Client (various versions, but most upgraded to 4.91), rebooting and reinstalling the client before the ZAA has seemed to fix our issues.

I'm going to also look into dynamic DNS to help other things.
0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Right on! I have MUCH experience with DNS and Dynamic DNS in NW6.5 Sp8 and imanager now, if you need help. I can get DNS, and DynamicDNS up and running integrated with DHCP in no time now. Let me know if you need a hand.

Good find on the DLU, with the client and ZAA.
0 Likes
adisarro Absent Member.
Absent Member.

cstaples;1908642 wrote:
I finally got one of my problem children to work, however the problem is still unidentified.

I removed the Novell Client, ZFD Agent, .NET 3.5 SP1 and below, and reinstalled the Client and ZCM Agent. It works now. I've tried to uninstall individually, in different configurations and it seems that both need removal, a reboot and reinstallation.

I'm having this same issue, but on fresh machines. i have tried several with the same symptoms as you described.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.