dominicm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DNS Server address on Clients

Hi everyone,

On each client machine, there is the "Server DNS address" that point the clients to their respective zenserver. And I've seen that's the server where the package agent was build.

Based on the PDF doc about the Adaptative Agent, the "Server DNS is the DNS name of the ZENworks Server that your device’s Adaptive Agent communicates with to send and receive ZENworks content and information."

My question is: what is the impact if I have 2000 or 8000 machines that points all to the same zen server DNS? Do I need to separate the load by installing a agent package for a certain amount of machines?

Also, if one of my zen servers have to be deleted, what happens to all of the workstations that was pointing to this server? Do they will always ask to this server first and after, the next available zen servers? What about the traffic load of such send/receive operations?

thank you !
DM
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
dominicm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS Server address on Clients

Hi everyone, I was hoping to receive some feedback since... any ideas ?

thank you for your support !

DM

dominicm;2108818 wrote:
Hi everyone,

On each client machine, there is the "Server DNS address" that point the clients to their respective zenserver. And I've seen that's the server where the package agent was build.

Based on the PDF doc about the Adaptative Agent, the "Server DNS is the DNS name of the ZENworks Server that your device’s Adaptive Agent communicates with to send and receive ZENworks content and information."

My question is: what is the impact if I have 2000 or 8000 machines that points all to the same zen server DNS? Do I need to separate the load by installing a agent package for a certain amount of machines?

Also, if one of my zen servers have to be deleted, what happens to all of the workstations that was pointing to this server? Do they will always ask to this server first and after, the next available zen servers? What about the traffic load of such send/receive operations?

thank you !
DM
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The server to which a Client communicates has nothing to do with the
server from which it is installed.

That only controls the server used during initial device registration.
After that, all communication is controlled by the closest server rules.

run "zac zc -l" to see which servers a device will use.
The servers are tried in the order listed by the command.

On 5/27/2011 1:06 PM, dominicm wrote:
>
> Hi everyone, I was hoping to receive some feedback since... any ideas
> ?
>
> thank you for your support !
>
> DM
>
> dominicm;2108818 Wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> On each client machine, there is the "Server DNS address" that point
>> the clients to their respective zenserver. And I've seen that's the
>> server where the package agent was build.
>>
>> Based on the PDF doc about the Adaptative Agent, the "Server DNS is the
>> DNS name of the ZENworks Server that your device’s Adaptive Agent
>> communicates with to send and receive ZENworks content and
>> information."
>>
>> My question is: what is the impact if I have 2000 or 8000 machines that
>> points all to the same zen server DNS? Do I need to separate the load
>> by installing a agent package for a certain amount of machines?
>>
>> Also, if one of my zen servers have to be deleted, what happens to all
>> of the workstations that was pointing to this server? Do they will
>> always ask to this server first and after, the next available zen
>> servers? What about the traffic load of such send/receive operations?
>>
>> thank you !
>> DM

>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
dominicm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok so I understand that I can use the same EXE or url to deploy the agent for all my machines, after that, even if it's the same server address appearing in the properties for all the clients, it will use the default server rules.....
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.