NovAlf Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Database log file too big

Hi!
ZCM 11.3.2 Appliance. Internal database. As my thoughts going to applying SP4, discovered that database (~ 200 mega) log file (too) big (~ 4 giga). How to let "air" out of this log file? Tried to refresh my memory on this – had this before on ZCM 10, but ... probably missed.
More thanks, Alar.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Database log file too big

NovAlf;2410161 wrote:
Hi!
ZCM 11.3.2 Appliance. Internal database. As my thoughts going to applying SP4, discovered that database (~ 200 mega) log file (too) big (~ 4 giga). How to let "air" out of this log file? Tried to refresh my memory on this – had this before on ZCM 10, but ... probably missed.
More thanks, Alar.

Have you backed up the database?

The simplest method for backing up the Sybase database is to use the zman command: The zman command does a full online backup, and truncates the transaction log

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/zen11_cm_deployment_bp/data/bi5tm7r.html

Thomas
0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi and thanks!
I "discovered" it (~ large log file) during backup, but - of course You're correct - ... after backup appear log to be ... almost nothing in size. I didn't check it back, just saw actual log in backup and start to complain about it. 😃
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NovAlf,
> after backup appear log to be ... almost nothing in

Yes. The expected side-effect of backing up the DB is that the log
shrinks. It is a subtle way to tell you to backup.

Have a peek at the script posted a few messages above. Grab that,
schedule with cron and then make sure you also copy the files offline
periodically.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi and thanks!
Yes, totally my miss on this.
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.