markvh Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Default closest server rules

We are running ZCM 17.4.0 and have 4 ZENworks SLES 11 servers. 

When looking at the agent on a windows workstation and looking at the server list, I see the 4 servers. 

I created a default closest server rule so all the workstations do not contact the servers in the same order. 

When refreshing the agent I do not see how this is working as the order in which the servers are displayed should be random from the group. 

In all cases when refreshing the agent, or clearing the cache and refreshing or even unregistering and re-registering the client, I see the list in the same order.

How can I check and how do we know the closest server group rule is working / effective. ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
obiwan Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Re: Default closest server rules

Do you have any network locations defined?
We have a lot of them and I remember I had some trouble understandig the logic behind:

As soon as one of my workstation starts location awareness successfully it will determine the network environment and location (I have a lot..:)).
If no network environment is found, the location will change to Unknown - there I have defined a rule using a server group and it's working fine.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

#1 - Keep in mind Changes to Locations Rules Change Slowly.  Agents will download and read a location file from the primary and not read the database directly.  This file is only updated every few hours.

"zman lrr" will kick off the process immediately to update the file, though agents may still take a while to detect there is a new file to download.  A little patience is required even when using "zman lrr" to see the changes.

#2 -  As Obiwan stated, also look at ZCC->Configuration->Locations.

Open each Location, there should at least be an "Unknown" plus any additional ones created.

Check to see if the "Exclude The Closest Server Default Rule" option is checked.    If so it will not use the default rule.

Generally Folks simply allow the Default Rules to flow down to a Location or block the default and set specifically. 

A Common Mistake is to "Not Block" the Default Rule, Define Specific Local Servers, and wonder why 150 Different Content Satellite Servers are listed under "zac zc -l" for each device.  (This is not your issue...)

#3 - I'm not really sure what would happen if you would manually list Server1, 2, 3, and 4 for a location ungrouped, but then let a group of 4 flow down.    If relying on default rule, maybe make sure your location does not have alternate settings.

0 Likes
obiwan Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Great explanation 🙂
Some of my experiences:
@#1 - In the past I was able to mess up my network environment list and location assignments often, finally I fixed it (in 11.4.2). I don't know the cause, but since then I keep in mind to avoid changing the primary when I have to add/delete more than one network environment 🙂

@#2 - In preparation of our "big upgrade" (11.4.2 to 17.4) we had to review EVERYTHING - and we weren't aware of the possibility to remove all satellites from Default Role (by pressing the button...:))

@#3 - Interesting question 🙂
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.