tpicrum Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Deploying Windows 10 1803 BCD error

I've been having the same exact error. I build all images in a VM environment. When building the 1803 the image I used Audit mode. (shift+F3 before minisetup) I tweaked the image and did remove most provisioned apps with the "windows 10 Debloater" powershell script from GitHub. Build 1709 went flawlessly. It seem to be an issue with one of the apps.
Also, sysprep will eventually complete, when it reboots, mini setup will run but takes a LOOONG time. It will come up but the time it takes to complete is ridiculous.

more details -
I also built a new unattend file from the 1803 Wim.

I'm attempting to remove each app, one by one and sysprepping to see what is the root cause. I'll reply back with an update. It would be nice if they kept things the same.

When I sysprep the machine without removing any apps, it comes up flawlessly. It has to do with the app removal.
0 Likes
tpicrum Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I sysprepped a freshly installed windows 10 1803 with no alterations. Minisetup started BUT, in the setuperr.log I did receive the following errors again . There has to be something going on with Windows 1803 sysprep. :mad:

2018-09-29 02:47:21, Error TOOL BCD: BiUpdateEfiEntry failed c000000d
2018-09-29 02:47:21, Error TOOL BCD: BiExportBcdObjects failed c000000d
2018-09-29 02:47:21, Error TOOL BCD: BiExportStoreAlterationsToEfi failed c000000d
2018-09-29 02:47:21, Error TOOL BCD: Failed to export alterations to firmware. Status: c000000d
2018-09-29 02:47:25, Error SYSPRP ClipCleanUpState resetting WNF_OLIC_OS_LICENSE_TERMS_ACCEPTED failed with NTSTATUS=c0000022
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I would look at the next to last message as more important than the last.....
I think the preceding errors result in the final message....

Does the Systmem have an SSD Drive?
Seems that was a partial cause in some of the hits...
I do know that 1803 did break some SSD Drive compatibility....
But really the root causes were far from consistent and most come down to no solution....
0 Likes
EGruber1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,
two weeks ago I started to try deploying win10 with Zenworks. We used Zenworks imaging for about 4 years with Win7 without any problems, but when I started now with Win10, I also ran into the problem with the spinning dots.
I tried it with a VMWare master machine and a physical one. In both cases the same problem. I finally only made an image from a machine in audit mode, without any changes to it. I made an image and loaded it down at the same machine, the machine ran into the running dots. Is still no solution available, so that imaging with zen will work again?
@tpicrum: Did you find out which app is responsible for this problem?
regards
E. Gruber
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Best to Add/Remove Apps and Patch post restore.....
Not really a ZENworks thing...but MS really broke quite a few thing with imaging in Windows 10....at least in regards to how they used to work.

I would also recommend to start looking at WinPE based imaging vs Linux Based imaging.....
Using WinPE, you can still use the familiar ZCM imaging commands and ZMG files but will add faster new hardware support.

From there.....it will be a smaller step to start doing some of the newer imaging methods via ZENworks...such as what is basically a scripted OS install....that MS is trying to push.

EGruber1;2493419 wrote:
Hello,
two weeks ago I started to try deploying win10 with Zenworks. We used Zenworks imaging for about 4 years with Win7 without any problems, but when I started now with Win10, I also ran into the problem with the spinning dots.
I tried it with a VMWare master machine and a physical one. In both cases the same problem. I finally only made an image from a machine in audit mode, without any changes to it. I made an image and loaded it down at the same machine, the machine ran into the running dots. Is still no solution available, so that imaging with zen will work again?
@tpicrum: Did you find out which app is responsible for this problem?
regards
E. Gruber
0 Likes
EGruber1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for your answer Craig,
do you know anywhere a tutorial/howto how I could start WinPE-based imaging and still using ZCM?
regards
E. Gruber
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I would recommend ZCM 2017 Update 2 or Later...Since that is when "Legacy ZCM Imaging Commands" were added to ZCM Imaging.

see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMmwvxnYglE
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

But in short....the ZCM PXE Server can be set to Send WinPE boot files just like it sends Linux Boot Files.
From Windows...You can run "img" commands just like from Linux to make ZMG Files just like always.
This makes the Learning Curve Smaller.....

However...Once you are in WinPE...you now have access to branch out to lots of other "Native MS" imaging options as well.

Ask Ask Ask....
there are quite a few folks on here who have made the switch and have more current hands on experience than I.
0 Likes
EGruber1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,
CRAIGDWILSON;2493438 wrote:
I would recommend ZCM 2017 Update 2 or Later...Since that is when "Legacy ZCM Imaging Commands" were added to ZCM Imaging.

see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMmwvxnYglE

thank you very much for the video. Configuring 3rd party imaging was no problem. but when I try to take an image, I alwas get the message 'imagex reported an error' without explanation of the error. I tried different shares on different machines. I don't know how to debug this error, because winpe has very limited functionality (Win 10 1809).

Can you please tell me: Would it be still possible to add ZCM addon-images and do automated imaging as it with the linux-based method was?

regards
E.Gruber
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Keep in Mind........
ImageX is not required.........
You CAN do ImageX....That is more Native Windows Imaging and works with Shares.

You can also do "zac img" and that works over TFTP as always.

If you open an SR, I'm sure you can get someone to talk you through it....though if the person you are talking to does not seem to grasp the issue, may want to get it escalated....
Not all FL engineers have a ton of WinPE Imaging support YET.....
0 Likes
ex Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

This seemed to lose traffic ....anything new on this issue at all? Seems it would gain a lot more attention, seeing as we are all at the same impasse. Our campus has been imaging Win10 since v1511, then at 1709, it started to get shaky. Every machine had to have chkdsk /f run on it to get ZCM / NAL functional working. Now with v.1803+, we are dead in the water, just spinning dots w/out anything meaningful to troubleshoot on.

We are still running ZCM 11.2 and with the downtime required, we are not able to update Zen2017. Either way, it is still the same issue on 2017.

Does this end here and the only resolution to use something else, don't use ZCM and it's Microsoft's fault?

I don't see where any WinPE option is built into ZCM. We are Linux on everything but 4000 end-users and this is to remain. Is WinPE the 3rd party product made by "ENGL"

Regards .... Eric
0 Likes
tpicrum Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ex;2498211 wrote:
This seemed to lose traffic ....anything new on this issue at all? Seems it would gain a lot more attention, seeing as we are all at the same impasse. Our campus has been imaging Win10 since v1511, then at 1709, it started to get shaky. Every machine had to have chkdsk /f run on it to get ZCM / NAL functional working. Now with v.1803+, we are dead in the water, just spinning dots w/out anything meaningful to troubleshoot on.

We are still running ZCM 11.2 and with the downtime required, we are not able to update Zen2017. Either way, it is still the same issue on 2017.

Does this end here and the only resolution to use something else, don't use ZCM and it's Microsoft's fault?

I don't see where any WinPE option is built into ZCM. We are Linux on everything but 4000 end-users and this is to remain. Is WinPE the 3rd party product made by "ENGL"

Regards .... Eric

I found the fix- that will work on Windows taking forever to load *if you get to that point- windows Store update needed to be stopped. This was causing the issues along with extremely log mini setup times. I hope this helps anyone with this issue. Microsoft was not able to find the fix after working with their premier support.
WinPE is just a preboot environment for imaging. ZCM should work without an issue - considering you are just making an image file, once it's packaged, you shouldn't have any issues.

# Disable Windows Store Automatic Updates

Write-Host -Message "Adding Registry key to Disable Windows Store Automatic Updates"

$registryPath = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore"

If (!(Test-Path $registryPath)) {

Mkdir $registryPath -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

New-ItemProperty $registryPath -Name AutoDownload -Value 2

}

Else {

Set-ItemProperty $registryPath -Name AutoDownload -Value 2

}

#Stop WindowsStore Installer Service and set to Disabled

Write-Host -Message ('Stopping InstallService')

Stop-Service InstallService

Write-Host -Message ('Setting InstallService Startup to Disabled')

& Set-Service -Name InstallService -StartupType Disabled

}
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

ZCM 11.2 does not support Windows 10 in any way manner.
Windows 10 Support was added in 11.4.1.
If I were to guess, you are actually running 11.4.2, which CAN support Windows 10, though ZCM 11.4.x has been out of support for quite a while now.

I will assume you are running ZCM 11.4.2 in may answer and not 11.2.

The Simplest and most Error Free way to Image Windows 10 is to image the base install before applying Any Update or Any Patches or Any Software adds.
Say no to apply patches during the install. Perhaps keep the device off the network during install to ensure this.
(Note: If you want to install the ZCM agent at this point that is fine, but most folks prefer adding that after the fact.)

The Internet Traffic about Windows Updates causing Imaging Issues in Pure MS Environments probably runs a close 2nd to Netflix for total internet traffic. (Yes, I'm exaggerating...but its ALOT)
The issues you are experiencing have nothing to do with ZCM code.

There are sites that have pages of scripts and tips on how to make Windows imaging still work after patched, but it gets deep and very complex and its all heavy Core Window OS understanding stuff.....
The Prior tip may help....but.....

#1 - Make sure you are not patching Windows before imaging....even during the Windows install.

ex;2498211 wrote:

Regards .... Eric
0 Likes
ex Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

You are absolutely correct - we are running 11.4.2.0. (typo)

Thanks for the responses! I'll digest and run with this, see if I can achieve positive results. Something tells me this will be an ongoing issue with Windows 10 as their updates are very intrusive.

- Eric
0 Likes
Highlighted
ex Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Unfortunately...still living in a cesspool of Windows 10 imaging here.

To spell it out, clear as mud - We're using Windows 10 Education N 1809 (same with 1803) ISO but to DVD.

We install a brand new (base) onto an HP Elitedesk 800 G2 or G3. Have network cable unplugged all the while. No updates. Build/install which reboots the computer. Comes up asking 'what country' AT THIS POINT WE GO INTO AUDIT MODE via Shift-CTRL-F3, which brings you to a desktop with the little audit mode box. With PC still unplugged from the network, make sure WindowsStore and Installer Services are stopped and disabled. There is never any installing of any additives what-so-ever.

At this point, we set the audit mode window to Out of Box Experience, NO to generalize and select shutdown, click OK and it does a graceful shutdown. We turn on the box, PXE boot, zmg img an image error-free.

From here when we push computer down to another (whether is has or has not been in ZCM before) identical computer, it just spinning dots starting up, forever and evermore.....never letting you know what it is hung up on...just spinning until eternity dies out.

We've tried BIOS Legacy (with and without HP secureboot). Tried BIOS UEFI.
We've tried without running Audit Mode, as if any other normal MS consumer would do at home.
We've tried it standing on our heads singing dixie out of our ..., still nothing.

If we use win10 v1709, it images and runs like a champ ('ish), updates or no updates, legacy or UEFI mode - it images, it works. Anything higher, complete failure.

So, what on earth is the other 99.999% of the ZCM world doing to get Windows 1809 and above to image successfully that I'm missing? I wish to switch to SLED was an option but people are bread to note accept change.

Any other tips or tricks anyone has discovered to beat down this MS beast, please spread the love!!

- Eric
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.