Highlighted
jamaya77 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Device Name Sporadically Changing ZENworks Agent Properties

I'm having a problem with a few Dell Windows 7 machines using ZENworks Configuration Management (ZCM) 10.3.4 client.
The problem is the device name, in the ZENworks Adaptive Agent Properties, is sporadically changing and reassigning with other device names and sharing the device name with another computer.

All the machines have been built from a single image, using R-Drive Image software, with the ZCM client already built-in to the image.

In attempt to resolve the problem, I've uninstalled the ZCM client, CASA as well as deleting the device name from the Zenworks Control Center (ZCC).
Re-installed the ZCM client and again received a different device name of a different workstation.

I've already tried using Zenworks AgentCleanup tool to remove the ZCM client and deleted the device name from the ZCC, but it did not resolve the problem.

I can only assume the problem lies within the image compiled with the ZCM client. How do I stop this from continually happening and make the ZCM report the correct device name and if possible, without having to create a new image?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Device Name Sporadically Changing ZENworks Agent Properties

jamaya77,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Device Name Sporadically Changing ZENworks Agent Proper

jamaya77,

I've actually seen this same behaviour, except we don't have the ZENworks Adaptive Agent installed in the base image.

We have a single base image which consists of OS and updates only, followed by add-on images with the installers for ZAA, Novell Client, etc.

The ZAA is then installed on-the-fly.

This used to happen to us fairly frequently, but has tapered off gradually.

My question for you is, are you migrating from a ZENworks 7 environment?

Jacob

jamaya77;2172126 wrote:
I'm having a problem with a few Dell Windows 7 machines using ZENworks Configuration Management (ZCM) 10.3.4 client.
The problem is the device name, in the ZENworks Adaptive Agent Properties, is sporadically changing and reassigning with other device names and sharing the device name with another computer.

All the machines have been built from a single image, using R-Drive Image software, with the ZCM client already built-in to the image.

In attempt to resolve the problem, I've uninstalled the ZCM client, CASA as well as deleting the device name from the Zenworks Control Center (ZCC).
Re-installed the ZCM client and again received a different device name of a different workstation.

I've already tried using Zenworks AgentCleanup tool to remove the ZCM client and deleted the device name from the ZCC, but it did not resolve the problem.

I can only assume the problem lies within the image compiled with the ZCM client. How do I stop this from continually happening and make the ZCM report the correct device name and if possible, without having to create a new image?
0 Likes
jamaya77 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for responding, Jacob. I'm actually not migrating. but running Zenworks 10.0.3 and I think I've resolved the problem. I suspected the problem was with the ZCM client already built-in to the image because the only machines experiencing this problem were those specific re-imaged machines.

So I built new Windows XP and 7 machines from scratch without the ZCM and created the new image. Then deleted the workstation from the ZCC and installed the ZCM client in this exact sequence. That seemed to have resolved my problem. I deployed the new image (without the ZCM) to each machine and installed the ZCM separately. Its been a couple weeks and no problems so far. The device name as well as the inventory are reporting accurately.
0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

We were seeing a similar phenomenon, but on re-deployed workstations. We noticed that the state of the agent was sort of "half" registered. The workstation seemed to believe it was registered, the server, did not. Trying to clean up the agent did not work, as the image safe data seemed to prime the agent with whatever GUID it was using to provide a hint to the server to re-associate the workstation with the existing object in ZCM.

Let me see what the specific solution was, if there was one. We had only a few workstations get this way.

-- Bob
0 Likes
jamaya77 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for responding, Bob. I've actually found a solution to my problem and it turns out it was the image I was using that included the ZCM already part of the image. The solution was building a new workstation from scratch, but without ZCM client installed and created a new image. Deleted the machine from the ZCC, deployed the new image and installed the ZCM in this exact sequence. So far its been working pretty well....
0 Likes
blueleo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The Zenworks agent install after the image in our case and it works fine. Could you try run "zisedit -c" before create and deploy image?
0 Likes
jamaya77 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks blueleo for the suggestion.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.