harrymsg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Device name already existed, changed to...

Age-old issue that I'm wondering if there is a solution to. Running VMware View/VDI and get a ton of VM linked-clone workstation records in ZCM that are renamed + GUID on the end. Just wondering if there is any way to have ZCM use the same workstation name when recomposed in View.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Device name already existed, changed to...

Yes.
Most Common issue is that the ZISD is not cleared on your Master/Gold Image.

Then you need to make sure your device reconciliation rules match what you are trying to do....
Reminder: Registration Keys have have device reconciliation rules that differ from the zone as a whole.
Physical devices may want to reconcile on MAC and SN for example, but on a Volatile VDI Desktop...you may want to use Host Name, since the SN and Mac would be new each time it started....
0 Likes
harrymsg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well, I always run a ziswin -w command on my Master/Gold image, along with running guidfixxer as well. And the default zone setting under Device Management --> Registration is currently set to Machine Name and Enable Differentiation is checked. One thing I'm a bit puzzled by is when I go under Devices --> Workstations, I have PC and VDI set as subfolders. Yet when I go under the Details for either PC or VDI, then Settings --> Registration, all I see for options is just the Device Naming Template. Nothing else---no Registration Rules, no Device Dynamic Rename, and no Reconcile Settings. So I'm not sure how to setup overrides for Reconcile settings for VDI then. It's been awhile, what am I missing? Thanks Craig.

CRAIGDWILSON;2499002 wrote:
Yes.
Most Common issue is that the ZISD is not cleared on your Master/Gold Image.

Then you need to make sure your device reconciliation rules match what you are trying to do....
Reminder: Registration Keys have have device reconciliation rules that differ from the zone as a whole.
Physical devices may want to reconcile on MAC and SN for example, but on a Volatile VDI Desktop...you may want to use Host Name, since the SN and Mac would be new each time it started....
0 Likes
harrymsg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Never mind---I finally found it under the registration key I setup for VDI. One quick question. I did have the VDI registration key setup with MAC address and Machine Name, and with Enable Differentiation checked. I've now removed the MAC address--only leaving Machine Name. Should I still leave Enable Differentiation checked--probably doesn't matter since it's only one option chosen for VDI? For PC, I have both Serial Number and MAC address set with Enable Differentiation. Sound about right? Also, one other question. It works to bring registered VMs under the VDI folder---most of them. I still get a handful that register and show up under the main Workstations folder. No idea why.

harrymsg;2499022 wrote:
Well, I always run a ziswin -w command on my Master/Gold image, along with running guidfixxer as well. And the default zone setting under Device Management --> Registration is currently set to Machine Name and Enable Differentiation is checked. One thing I'm a bit puzzled by is when I go under Devices --> Workstations, I have PC and VDI set as subfolders. Yet when I go under the Details for either PC or VDI, then Settings --> Registration, all I see for options is just the Device Naming Template. Nothing else---no Registration Rules, no Device Dynamic Rename, and no Reconcile Settings. So I'm not sure how to setup overrides for Reconcile settings for VDI then. It's been awhile, what am I missing? Thanks Craig.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

See Here......
https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-4/zen_discovery_deployment/data/b16rrxx9.html

"Agent Deployment in VDI".....

Use the information there as a Guideline.....
For Example...Use of "MAC and SN" may be perfectly since so long as a devices values for this are static...but need to be off it not....
Really depends upon how your Virtual Infrastructure is setup....But regardless if the setup..care needs to be taken to make sure ZENworks Information Data does not flow from Master to machines spawned from it.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note: Most customers I have worked with have it checked....though that is likely just because that is default. If you do with that you should be safe...., other should work too in theory....

Find "1st Match" vs "Find Best Match".....
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.