gerwil1478
New Member.

Device registration

Two freshly imaged machines with fresh 10.2.1 agent, patched server and different GUID's reported with new ziswin. Devices deleted from ZCC.

I register the first machine and all is OK. The device shows up in ZCC as managed with GUID, IP, Device name etc as expected. Updated group memberships so that policies are downloaded and applied.

Next

When I register the 2nd machine, it takes over the first devices place in ZCC and adopts its GUID! Still has its own IP and device name and 1st device still runs but is out in the cold. Updates to policies etc appear to be applied to both.

(I know I spoke to soon before)

Any ideas appreciated
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
donasutton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Device registration

Greetings,

Here's what i do to get rid of that pesky GUID..
When i make a clone:
zac cc
zac fsg -d
do a search on c:\program files\novell\zenworks
delete *.sav (one will be a GUID backup)

C:\program files\novell\zenworks\bin\preboot\ZISWIN.exe:
clear image safe data
SAVE? YES
Reset just imaged flag? !NO!

Do all that in your clone and you should be good to go. Then delete the cloned machine out of ZCC.

If that doesn't kill the GUID then get out the garlic and cross.
~Good luck..

Don
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Thanks for the reply.
Tried that and more. Even tried to edit the GUID files to fool ZCM into thinking it was a new machine but it was too cleaver for me.

Scenario
1 Unregister the new machine, zac unr (This unregisters both the original and new machine and deletes the new one from ZCC)
2 Register the original machine - appears in zcc and all OK with its GUID
3 Uninstall the agent, ziswin clear and reboot
4 Install agent (either standard of custom) don't reboot
5 zac cc, zac ref, zac fsg -d
6 Ziswin clear and save (which has a new GUID already but clear it anyway)
7 delete conf\device* and device*.*
8 delete bin\handlers\CacheFiles, \work\inventory\'GUID' files, \cache\zmd\*.*
9 Reboot

As soon as the new workstation fires up it clobbers the original one in ZCC with its new GUID. The original one still thinks its managed but no bundles come down and is left out in the cold.
ie It's sc!@#

Hope this makes sense and I'm missed something simple.
0 Likes
tyrel_f Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I know this is a really old thread but I am having the same issue. I have tried all of the steps above and it does not seem to help. This stared happening after I upgraded to 11.2.3a.

When I register a machine I use the zac reg -g to generate a new guid, but it seems to just take a GUID from another machine in the database. Then when it reconciles one of the machines dissapears from the ZCC.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Tyrel f,
> I know this is a really old thread but I am having the same issue. I
> have tried all of the steps above and it does not seem to help. This
> stared happening after I upgraded to 11.2.3a.

Please repost in the ZCM 11.x groups and provide a description of the
steps you have taken.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.