mprovencher Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Devices don't boot after upgrading to ZCM 11 SP2

Hello,

I've been running a Zenworks server for a couple of months, now, for our imaging needs (we were using Norton Ghost, before). Last week, I applied a pre-boot image to two of our labs and ran into a problem. After the imaging process and a reboot, every device gets stuck at this error message:

Error loading operating system
(in fact, the message is "Erreur lors du chargement du systeme d'exploitati", we're running a french version of Windows XP)

Two weeks before and even earlier, I applied pre-boot bundles to all of our labs and everything worked without problems. I haven't touched the images since, the only change I made is that I upgraded from ZCM 11.1 to ZCM 11 SP2. I've tried all of our bundles and none of them works, after applying it to a device. Could the problem come from something in SP2?

I've read in another thread of a similar problem, trying TID 3414734 didn't do much to help either.

Is this a known issue? Is a fix on the way? What do I do now? I'm stuck and I don't know what to do next...
Labels (2)
0 Likes
22 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: Devices don't boot after upgrading to ZCM 11 SP2

I've tried, as a test, to take an image of one workstation manually (img mp servername test.zmg) then IMMEDIATELY put the image back on the same workstation and I got the same error, the workstation couldn't boot...
0 Likes
css55
Visitor.

so same here - but we have more PC hardware versions, one (acer - sata intel 82801GB/GR/GH IHC7) has same error, try to change pxe files /srv/tftp too a older version ...
good luck

mfg
css
0 Likes
css55
Visitor.

we have try some 'old' PXE versions - but it does not help ...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Altough I'm sad that you have the problem too, it kind of reassure me a little bit. That means it's probably not just us and that it's something they will work on.

I thought about restarting from scratch, using a 11.1 server, but maybe Novell can tell us if it's a known bug or something?
0 Likes
kevgo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you boot from CD (bootcd.iso) and bring down an image do you receive an error messages such as "Bad file entry encountered. Try running CHKDSK"? Or does the image come down fine, and then fail on the Windows boot?

Thanks

kevgo.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

kevgo;2187935 wrote:
If you boot from CD (bootcd.iso) and bring down an image do you receive an error messages such as "Bad file entry encountered. Try running CHKDSK"? Or does the image come down fine, and then fail on the Windows boot?
Thanks

The imaging process goes trough all the way, the workstation reboots and it fails on Windows boot. I had four pre-boot images, all of them are having the same problem. And I, as I said, even took another workstation, made an image out of it then immediately applied the image on that workstation with the same results.

I see that someone has the same problem as I do and enabled imaging on his old Zenworks 7 server in order to fix the issue. The thing is, I don't have a Zen 7 server since I started directly at ZCM 11.

I must say that I'm starting to worry...
0 Likes
css55
Visitor.

- have try to create new Image and restore (successfuly) but same error - Error loading operating system
- have try different PC / different HD, same error
- have check image on disk after restore on disk whith Linux-rescue CD - can mount, can browse, but no boot
- have try some version of PXE environments
... all no success

- have reactivate old ZEN7 (on Linux) Server only for Imaging - now we can restore same image

perhaps we will try "img -legacyntfs ... " etc

mfg
css
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Same issue here. PXE boot and image download all works OK (maybe a bit faster).

But when the device boots up - "Error loading operating system". I have not downloaded the Tuxera high performance NTFS driver and my upgrade from 11SP1a to 11SP2 went smoothly.
As I understand it, you do not need to install the Tuxera driver; the old images with the new ZCM 11.2 imaging engine should work. No special config etc.

Tried manual imaging with img ....... -legacyntfs - same result.

I have not tried to image a device with the 11.2 engine and then restore it. That would probably work but I'm desperately short of machines and do not want yet another 'dead' one staring at me (already have 6). We rely heavily on PXE boot and images and as there is no way to 'upgrade' them I do not want to have to build them all from scratch.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers
0 Likes
aheck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We too have been having this issue since upgrading our Zenworks to v11 SP2 on March 29. However, I do believe we now have it working...

We did the upgrade on March 29, tested imaging and it was broken. Re-created the base image with the new performance NTFS driver installed. Things were looking good (only testing on new hardware). A few days past and reports started coming in that older machines, T60, T61's where cloning and either coming up to a blink cursor, or NTLDR missing. Compatibility mode/AHCI mode tried... nothing. Re-created the base image again, no joy. Tested using the older image (pre March 29) and still nothing. So, we figured we had two potential problems, something changed with the way Zenworks images or there is something wrong with the performance NTFS driver. So, first and easiest thing to try was to disable the NTFS driver which of course can't be done via the web interface. But it can be done on the server.

Browser to /srv/tftp and rename: tntfs.ko and HighPerfDriver.conf. We believe you only actually need to rename the HighPerfDriver.conf but why not do both!

The next thing is to make sure your image is one created with the legacy NTFS support, so in our case, I restored our pre March 29 image and tested. So far, it's worked on everything tested, T40, T41, T60, T61, T410.

I'd be curious if anyone else has the same results? So, we believe it's the Tuxera driver.

I should also mention, we were never running Zenworks 11 SP1, we went from Zenworks 11 to v11 SP2.

Thoughts?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

aheck, thanks for telling us about your story. I went and checked to do what you did (renaming the files and retrying an image). Alas, I couldn't find the files, so I read a little and seems I haven't installed the Tuxera driver! I've seen people having problems with it, I didn't know I had to install it manually. So I installed it, took an image of one of the workstation then applied the image to the same workstation (something I tried before with the same 'unable to boot the operating system' result)... AND IT WORKED!

So, altough I couldn't do what you said to try, it made me check my configs and make it work. I can't thank you enough!

@css55: Do you have the Tuxera driver installed? Try it to see if you have the same success I do.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So I am wondering if this is a issue of what OS your ZCM is on. I have
upgraded from 11.1a to 11.2 and have had no issues. My Primary servers and
Sat's are Windows. Have not done the new high performance driver yet.

"mprovencher" wrote in message
news:mprovencher.5aiboo@no-mx.forums.novell.com...

Hello,

I've been running a Zenworks server for a couple of months, now, for
our imaging needs (we were using Norton Ghost, before). Last week, I
applied a pre-boot image to two of our labs and ran into a problem.
After the imaging process and a reboot, every device gets stuck at this
error message:

(in fact, the message is "Erreur lors du chargement du systeme
d'exploitati", we're running a french version of Windows XP)

Two weeks before and even earlier, I applied pre-boot bundles to all of
our labs and everything worked without problems. I haven't touched the
images since, the only change I made is that I upgraded from ZCM 11.1 to
ZCM 11 SP2. I've tried all of our bundles and none of them works, after
applying it to a device. Could the problem come from something in SP2?

I've read in another thread of a similar problem, trying TID 3414734
didn't do much to help either.

Is this a known issue? Is a fix on the way? What do I do now? I'm
stuck and I don't know what to do next...

--
mprovencher
------------------------------------------------------------------------
mprovencher's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=125809
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=454307

0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

So may have the answer - but not an explanation
Single Linux server - update to 11SP2 - no problems. Currently rolling out to workstations.
I haven't touched the new Tuxera driver yet. Imaging engine at 11.2 and all appears fine until the device reboots - error loading operation system. Even tried the legancntfs switch.

Tried the bootcd.iso. (credit due elsewhere) Booted up, imaged the same machine - still no go - error loading operation system - !@#$%^&
Went back to PXE boot, imaged again and hey presto. Go figure!
Sorry ran out of time to test on another machine - will try that tomorrow.

Cheers
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

OK so everyone settle down
Can't replicate the fix. Still treading water until the boss finds out.

Cheers
0 Likes
jggendron Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, after ZCM 11 SP2 udated, but some workstations works and other doesn't, and some workstations works and sometimes doesn't...

mprovencher;2187306 wrote:
Hello,

I've been running a Zenworks server for a couple of months, now, for our imaging needs (we were using Norton Ghost, before). Last week, I applied a pre-boot image to two of our labs and ran into a problem. After the imaging process and a reboot, every device gets stuck at this error message:

(in fact, the message is "Erreur lors du chargement du systeme d'exploitati", we're running a french version of Windows XP)

Two weeks before and even earlier, I applied pre-boot bundles to all of our labs and everything worked without problems. I haven't touched the images since, the only change I made is that I upgraded from ZCM 11.1 to ZCM 11 SP2. I've tried all of our bundles and none of them works, after applying it to a device. Could the problem come from something in SP2?

I've read in another thread of a similar problem, trying TID 3414734 didn't do much to help either.

Is this a known issue? Is a fix on the way? What do I do now? I'm stuck and I don't know what to do next...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.