The title explains my concern.
Thanks hehe:o
Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Difference between Inventory products and discovered pro

Good question. Here we're only talking about software. Inventory is all recognized software, regardless of whether it is free, licensed or anything in between. Discovered products are a filtered set of software limited to licensed software titles. The list is generated by filtering out recognized software that is not licensed, leaving the licensed titles. That's the theory. In practice, however, not enough software is filtered out, leaving a task to evaluate the Discovered Products list in ZENworks and to exclude titles that need not have licenses managed. Part of this task is process, the rest if research as to which titles are licensed and which are not. I have published a procedure and a growing list of products that may be excluded - you can find both here: http://www.consultbruce.com/best-practices.html

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
tahtohi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BMcDowell;2433710 wrote:
Good question. Here we're only talking about software. Inventory is all recognized software, regardless of whether it is free, licensed or anything in between. Discovered products are a filtered set of software limited to licensed software titles. The list is generated by filtering out recognized software that is not licensed, leaving the licensed titles. That's the theory. In practice, however, not enough software is filtered out, leaving a task to evaluate the Discovered Products list in ZENworks and to exclude titles that need not have licenses managed. Part of this task is process, the rest if research as to which titles are licensed and which are not. I have published a procedure and a growing list of products that may be excluded - you can find both here: http://www.consultbruce.com/best-practices.html

The thing is i have the same product: Microsoft visual studio test, with the same build and the same version, when i checkout the discovered product i find only 1 user, and when i go to inventory products i find 3 users-wich is correct in my case- why is this happening, why don't i get 3users in the discovered products.
Thanks
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hmmm, interesting. Can't think of a good reason for that to happen, which means someone would need to look at detailed data. Try drilling into the Discovered Product itself and look at the Details and Installations/Consumption tabs to see if there's anything interesting there. I have a Discovered product that shows one installation at the top level but on the Installations/Consumption tab it shows the same device listed five times. Not sure why that happens but at the top level the roll-up is correct.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
tahtohi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I just came to a dead end comparing these two categories, and found multiple users having the software on their inventories, but not treated in the installed quantity in the discovered products
0 Likes
tahtohi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I can't use the product if the users are not in my discovered products, cause i can't always run a report to check the inventory products... don't even know why does that detect my users and not the discovered products
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Could you please post screen captures of the Details and Installations/Consumption tabs from a representative Discovered Product as well as the inventory data showing conflicting data. I'll do my best to determine if there is a problem that suggests a service request.

0 Likes
tahtohi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BMcDowell;2433843 wrote:
Could you please post screen captures of the Details and Installations/Consumption tabs from a representative Discovered Product as well as the inventory data showing conflicting data. I'll do my best to determine if there is a problem that suggests a service request.

here it is, note: when you go to the inventory of the 3users its the sameproduct an its being used daily,Thanks
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Please go to the Discovered Product, click on it to get to the Details and Installations/Consumption tabs contained in the Discovered Product and send me snaps of those two tabs. There's a level of detail there I don't have yet.

0 Likes
tahtohi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BMcDowell;2433953 wrote:
Please go to the Discovered Product, click on it to get to the Details and Installations/Consumption tabs contained in the Discovered Product and send me snaps of those two tabs. There's a level of detail there I don't have yet.

HI, i'm not at work right now, but i can assure that there is 1user and 1consumption, i will send a screenshot tomorrow tho.
Is it normal?
0 Likes
tahtohi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry for not updating the topic, i found that i had multiple error like microsoft-windows-distributedcom,wmi etc with my MSDN, it has no relation with zenworks, as you said zenworks filters the products of inventory before putting them on the discovered products side
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.