Highlighted
bkeadle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dynamic Workstation Group - Department Association

I want to set up a Dynamic Workstation Group according to department. I see a definition of DEVICE-Department and INVENTORY-Department. I found where I can use the CDF to populate the inventory attribute for department. But I don't understand what/how the DEVICE-Department is defined. Where does that come from? Is the only way to populate that is manually via the device properties page?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
bkeadle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Dynamic Workstation Group - Department Association

(BUMP) I see I posted this some time ago and never got an answer. It has come up again in creating a dynamic group. I couldn't understand why my Device - Department was coming up empty, but then when I chose Inventory - Department I was getting the expected results. What is Device-Department attribute and how does it get populated?
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bkeadle,

registration is when that gets filled in AFAICR

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy

0 Likes
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm aligned with Shaun on this.

The Inventory-Department and Device-Department fields seem designed to confuse. Inventory-Department is in the NC_Workstation table and is available to be updated via CDF auto-fill or LDAP Import tasks. Device-Department is in the zDevice table and can only be manipulated from the [Device] > Summary tab under Workstations or Servers. Back a long time ago when I was helping redesign the ZRS Business Objects Universe, the PM on the project and I elected to not even expose the Department-Site-Location fields on the Summary tab because we considered them to be a user trap since there is no coordination between the relevant Inventory and Device fields.

I've come up with one or two semi-reasonable use cases for the Device Department-Site-Location fields, and they are now exposed in the Jaspersoft ZRS. And, short of going to the Summary tab for a device and hand-editing data (think summer intern here) the only efficient way to use the fields is during the registration process.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.