jonathanmartin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Embedded Sybase migration: Linux to Windows

Hello,

I have to do an upgrade of a ZCM environment for on of my customer.

They are currently using ZCM11SP2, and we are going to update in ZCM11SP4.

For the moment, the primary server is on a SLES11SP1, and they would like to migrate ZCM on a Windows Server.

I have no difficulties to imagine the migration process, except for the database. This is an embedded Sybase, and I'm not sure that there is a easy way to migrate this database from a linux to a windows server. Or maybe I'm wrong?

For the moment, the simpliest way I've found is to migrate the database to MSSQL or Oracle, but if I can keep the embedded sybase it would be great.

Any idea on this?

Regards,
Jonathan Martin
Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Embedded Sybase migration: Linux to Windows

jonathanmartin;2431649 wrote:
Hello,

I have to do an upgrade of a ZCM environment for on of my customer.

They are currently using ZCM11SP2, and we are going to update in ZCM11SP4.

For the moment, the primary server is on a SLES11SP1, and they would like to migrate ZCM on a Windows Server.

I have no difficulties to imagine the migration process, except for the database. This is an embedded Sybase, and I'm not sure that there is a easy way to migrate this database from a linux to a windows server. Or maybe I'm wrong?

For the moment, the simpliest way I've found is to migrate the database to MSSQL or Oracle, but if I can keep the embedded sybase it would be great.

Any idea on this?

Regards,
Jonathan Martin

Migrating the Database to MS_SQL or Oracle would definitely be the hardest and riskiest way to do this.
The Docs should cover the Sybase details under the sections about replacing servers.

Don't take this as the exhaustive steps, since those should be documented but......

For the DB, it is a very simple install using the include Sybase MSI installer.
Create the Services for which a batch file is included on the download sites.
Copy the DB
Update the ip address in the config files on the db so they can find the database
Update the Roles in the db.

The thing you really need to get right in this process is moving the CA.
Also plan to have the old and new server running side by side for a few weeks so devices can learn about the new server before removing the old
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.