Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
4527 views

Error Code 1203 when pushing ZAM Client from Manager

Hi. I'm trying to install the ZAM 7.5 client on Win2000 and WinXP
workstations using the Manager. It prompts for authentication (none of
our PCs or Users are in any AD system), so I use a known good local
workstation account with Administrator rights and I get:

errorcode 1203 no network provider accepted the given network path

I only found one other topic in this forum on 1203, and it was not
answered. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rodd
Labels (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Error Code 1203 when pushing ZAM Client from Manager

rwmastel@worthingtonindustries.com,

>so I use a known good local
>workstation account with Administrator rights and I get:


Does the account have rights to access the manager server?
Using this method of deployment without AD can be real tricky.

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Error Code 1203 when pushing ZAM Client from Manager

> Does the account have rights to access the manager server?
> Using this method of deployment without AD can be real tricky.
>


Jared,

No, it does not. It's just a local admin-equivalent account on the
workstation.

OK, let us in on the trick! 😉

Thanks,
Rodd
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Error Code 1203 when pushing ZAM Client from Manager

rwmastel@worthingtonindustries.com,

>OK, let us in on the trick! 😉


Hum.. I don't think I know of a trick. That is just it.

Here is my simple understanding of it.
Because AD is not being used, the username that you specify must have
rights to the destination PC and the ZAM server. Rights to install the
agent and rights to copy the agent from the install location on the ZAM
server.

Now, I don't know this for sure, but a simple packet trace would prove
this theory.

I can probably do the packet trace soon if you are unable to.

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Error Code 1203 when pushing ZAM Client from Manager

> Here is my simple understanding of it.
> Because AD is not being used, the username that you specify must have
> rights to the destination PC and the ZAM server. Rights to install the
> agent and rights to copy the agent from the install location on the ZAM
> server.


Well, we're not going with AD accounts here any time soon. Looks like
we'll have to use our MSI application object and then for all the
workstations that get missed (not running app launcher) the IT people
will have to do a manual install.

Does the setup.exe (with switches) work well from login scripts?

Thanks,
Rodd
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Error Code 1203 when pushing ZAM Client from Manager

rwmastel@worthingtonindustries.com,

>Does the setup.exe (with switches) work well from login scripts?


I haven't heard of any problems. setup.exe -s

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Error Code 1203 when pushing ZAM Client from Manager

The account you are using to run the Manager has to have Read/Write access
to the filestore, so I don't think the credentials you enter for
workstation authentication have to have filestore access. I could be wrong
- haven't played with this for >1 year.

The workstation authentication account will need admin rights 'across the
network' to the workstations - I think something like Remote Registry, also
it will need to connect to a share (say C$) to install the software (an AD
Admin account will have both of these). If your SOE is locked down or
firewalled this may be the reason you're having issues.

Sorry I can't be more specific - I played with this about a year ago.

I'm pretty sure there's something about using login scripts to deploy via
setup.exe and the ISS file - either in a TID or the standard ZAM
documentation - but the logged-in user will need rights to install software
for this to work.

You could try the following to prove / disprove the filestore access
requirements:

1) Create a user on the ZAM server with the same user name & password as
your workstation 'backdoor' admin

2) Give this user Read & Write access to the ZAM Filestore

3) Try again pushing the agent from the Manager

4) When you're not actively pushing out agents, disable this account on the
ZAM server. Once you've pushed out to all workstations, delete the account
on the ZAM server.

If this works, try restricting the user to Read-only access to the
filestore - it may be enough.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error Code 1203 when pushing ZAM Client from Manager

> Hi. I'm trying to install the ZAM 7.5 client on Win2000 and WinXP
> workstations using the Manager. It prompts for authentication (none of
> our PCs or Users are in any AD system), so I use a known good local
> workstation account with Administrator rights and I get:
>
> errorcode 1203 no network provider accepted the given network path
>
> I only found one other topic in this forum on 1203, and it was not
> answered. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Rodd


I did just find this, but everything looks OK on the one PC I'm testing
with.

https://secure-
support.novell.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/120/3345122_f.SAL_Public.html

Thanks,
Rodd
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error Code 1203 when pushing ZAM Client from Manager

> I did just find this, but everything looks OK on the one PC I'm testing
> with.
>
> https://secure-
>

support.novell.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/120/3345122_f.SAL_Public.html
>
> Thanks,
> Rodd


Here's another link for a similar error:

http://www.novell.com/support/search.do?
cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=10100897&sliceId=&dialogID=13340882&sta
teId=1%200%201084472
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error Code 1203 when pushing ZAM Client from Manager

> > I did just find this, but everything looks OK on the one PC I'm
testing
> > with.
> >
> > https://secure-
> >

>

support.novell.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/120/3345122_f.SAL_Public.html
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rodd

>
> Here's another link for a similar error:
>
> http://www.novell.com/support/search.do?
>

cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=10100897&sliceId=&dialogID=13340882&st
a
> teId=1%200%201084472


If your using Zenworks, have you tried deploying this to the workstations
via an app object?

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error Code 1203 when pushing ZAM Client from Manager

There are a few things you need to check:
- the remote installer uses the account you are logged in as, so if you
can't remotely access the machine with your account credentials nothing
will work

- simple file sharing as to be disabled on the target machine

- is there any firewall on the target machine blocking you?

- you need to have File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks enabled

- you need to have the Remote Procedure Call (RCP) service running on the
target machine

- I think there is also some thing about remote registry access


> Hi. I'm trying to install the ZAM 7.5 client on Win2000 and WinXP
> workstations using the Manager. It prompts for authentication (none of
> our PCs or Users are in any AD system), so I use a known good local
> workstation account with Administrator rights and I get:
>
> errorcode 1203 no network provider accepted the given network path
>
> I only found one other topic in this forum on 1203, and it was not
> answered. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Rodd


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.