mrjohndoe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Exclude certain client types (and/or networks) from Bundles

Hello,

with our new infrastucture we have two problems:

1. We want to use linked clones for home office and later standard clients. The special thing here is that all the standard software is either in some kind of base image or deployed via virtual application. So you only need one installation of a software (and only one times the storage) instead of install the software on every client. We want to add those virtual machines to the ZCM because with that we can install department and user specific software on the virtual machines. But now we have the problem that the ZEN tries to install all standard bundles (which already included in the base image). So is there a way to exclude certain client types without editing every bundle?
I thought about using the Agent to install those software in the golden image but I have red that installing the agent before sysprep can cause errors...

2. For reasons only our firewall admins can tell (or not) is our ZCM reachable from certain networks where the client can't get access to our fileservers and loginservers. So we have the problem that clients get the updated bundles but then try to install them and failed with them. So is there a smart way to tell the ZEN that he only should take deployment actions when in a certain networt or when he can reach certain servers (without throwing errors when not or touch every bundle)?

Maybe you can help me with that?

Regards
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Exclude certain client types (and/or networks) from Bund

Two Questions... let me handle them separately....

While you COULD pre-install the ZCM agent and use ZCM to deploy the items to your Golden Master...
That would not really resolve the issue...It is possible there could be version# changes that may cause the software to want to reinstall.

Normally, I would use a System Requirement either on the Bundle itself or on the Install Action that sets a System Requirement for the Software to not already be installed.
This is useful regardless if we are talking about Linked Clones.

If the device already has this version of software installed...or perhaps even newer...generally you would not want ZCM to install it again.

----

Not ideal due to the version change info but.....
%zenworks_home%\cache\zmd\GUID.APPLSTATE file records the install status of a device and determines if it needs to install again.
You COULD grab the APPLSTATE files for bundles set to install "Per Device" from a machine that has them installed and pre-populate this folder on your Golden Image....even if the ZCM agent is not installed.
I know some customers do this with Imaging....where they actually use the ZCM agent to configure the PC and then remove and all remnants...but backup and restore the APPLSTATE files.
(Care should be taken with this process...including making sure the ZISD is cleared....And as I type I realize it is quite common to have the ZCM Agent Pre-Installed on the Golden Image....probably more common than not...)

But even so if you don't want SW to install to these Linked Images...I would use System Requirements to check for the installed Version...that is a common in all ZCM setups for both physical and virtual devices.
You can also have other registry keys that detail info about the system. Perhaps put in the master make a key such as HKLM\Software\Acme,ImageType=Clone and then set certain bundles to make sure this is not set to Clone and then skip part or all of the install. For Example ...With action level requirements the core install may skip....but device specific customization actions may still be desirable to run....

mrjohndoe;2490194 wrote:
Hello,

with our new infrastucture we have two problems:

1. We want to use linked clones for home office and later standard clients. The special thing here is that all the standard software is either in some kind of base image or deployed via virtual application. So you only need one installation of a software (and only one times the storage) instead of install the software on every client. We want to add those virtual machines to the ZCM because with that we can install department and user specific software on the virtual machines. But now we have the problem that the ZEN tries to install all standard bundles (which already included in the base image). So is there a way to exclude certain client types without editing every bundle?
I thought about using the Agent to install those software in the golden image but I have red that installing the agent before sysprep can cause errors...

Regards
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Exclude certain client types (and/or networks) from Bund

Normally one would know which devices can or cannot hit internal resources based on their IP Subnet.
Normally devices that cannot reach internal resources are placed into a locally defined "Location" such as "External".
Then for bundles you can set a bundle system requirement for location to "not be External".

Alterantely, you could set a system requirement for something such as \\DistributionServer\Files\Office\setup.exe to NOT exist.

In a Domain Environment %LOGONSERVER% normally resolves to the closest DC.
You could check for a common file on one of its shares and if they don't exist then the device is someplace it can't reach internal resources.

For External Devices...you could put a Satellite in your DMZ and deliver the install files over web protocols instead.....

mrjohndoe;2490194 wrote:
Hello,

2. For reasons only our firewall admins can tell (or not) is our ZCM reachable from certain networks where the client can't get access to our fileservers and loginservers. So we have the problem that clients get the updated bundles but then try to install them and failed with them. So is there a smart way to tell the ZEN that he only should take deployment actions when in a certain networt or when he can reach certain servers (without throwing errors when not or touch every bundle)?

Maybe you can help me with that?

Regards
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.