jvmorrell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Experiences Upgrading to SP3

HI

As title really, I'm intending to do the upgrade as soon as ENGL support the latest imaging.

How is everyone else getting on with the upgrade?

Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
17 Replies
nicolailarsen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Experiences Upgrading to SP3

Cant upgrade as ZCM SP3 does not support Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Datacenter Edition any more, SP2 did, SP3 does not.
0 Likes
jvmorrell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

sounds very similar to SP2 where they took out support for SQL 2008 and only had support for 2008 R2.

I'm sure this will be put back in
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Support was never removed.
It never existed.

On 2/27/2014 11:56 AM, jvmorrell wrote:
>
> sounds very similar to SP2 where they took out support for SQL 2008 and
> only had support for 2008 R2.
>
> I'm sure this will be put back in
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Technical Support Engineer

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
luke_ross Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am also interested in hearing others experiences with the upgrade. We are in the process of planning our 11.2.0 (mu2) > 11.3 upgrade and would love to know if there are any gotcha's. If not, we will post our experiences when the time comes. Likely in late March or early april once the dust settles. 🙂
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have run into a nasty issue where a new 'NC_PowerSupplyRecordChanges'
table is not getting created in our internal Sybase database, causes the
install process to crash, and then leaves ZCM totally trashed.

Gotta love snapshots, rolled back to the one I took right before the
upgrade. I have an SR going on the issue right now.

Jim Koerner
Server - ZCM 11.2.4MU1 and Internal Database on Win2008R2x64
Clients - ZCM 11.2.4MU1 on Win7SP1x64

"luke ross" wrote in message
news:luke_ross.6a97xb@no-mx.forums.novell.com...

I am also interested in hearing others experiences with the upgrade. We
are in the process of planning our 11.2.0 (mu2) > 11.3 upgrade and would
love to know if there are any gotcha's. If not, we will post our
experiences when the time comes. Likely in late March or early april
once the dust settles. 🙂

--
luke_ross
------------------------------------------------------------------------
luke_ross's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=104228
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=475059

0 Likes
Highlighted
mla_hm
New Member.

I have the same issue as Jim Koerner except the server is on a SLES11 SP3 server.

I also had to roll back thanks to a snapshot and have opened a SR.
0 Likes
itsslicences Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Not seen the issue Jim has (we are using an MS SQL DB). However, I am having a problem with the "silent" no-reboot agent update feature. At the end of the "silent" update the ZENworks realm login box pops up. The user can cancel this, but then user content is not available until the device is next rebooted. Hardly a silent update, and the agent isn't as functional pre-reboot as suggested.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

My problem was solved by updating a SQL table after the failed install and
then running setup again. The following TID can be referenced if someone
runs into this and starts an SR to get the fix.

http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7014719

Jim Koerner
Server - Finally at ZCM 11.3 and Internal Database on Win2008R2x64
Clients - ZCM 11.2.4MU1 on Win7SP1x64 soon to be 11.3

"Jim Koerner" wrote in message
news:YR0Ru.5175$8g7.1340@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...

I have run into a nasty issue where a new 'NC_PowerSupplyRecordChanges'
table is not getting created in our internal Sybase database, causes the
install process to crash, and then leaves ZCM totally trashed.

Gotta love snapshots, rolled back to the one I took right before the
upgrade. I have an SR going on the issue right now.

Jim Koerner
Server - ZCM 11.2.4MU1 and Internal Database on Win2008R2x64
Clients - ZCM 11.2.4MU1 on Win7SP1x64

0 Likes
mfinn Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I see a few others have had issues. I have never seen an update go so smoothly. We were running 11.2.4 MU1. Almost all previous updates required some kind of trial and error while installing: install, find error in log, correct error, repeat. The upgrade to 11.3 was fast and flawless. I've installed the agent on a few workstations with no issues either.

Kudos to Novell.
0 Likes
luke_ross Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mfinn;2309371 wrote:
I see a few others have had issues. I have never seen an update go so smoothly. We were running 11.2.4 MU1. Almost all previous updates required some kind of trial and error while installing: install, find error in log, correct error, repeat. The upgrade to 11.3 was fast and flawless. I've installed the agent on a few workstations with no issues either.

Kudos to Novell.

Very exciting to hear and thanks to everyone else for sharing. We've had issues with Agent updates in the past and were excited to read about the new agent update model.
0 Likes
michelsr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I upgraded our primary servers from 11.2.3 over the weekend, and it went smoothly.

Our environment:
- 9 Primary servers, SLES 11 SP2
- MSSQL Database, SQL Server 2008 r2

I opted to create the audit database in advance, following the instructions in TID 7014681.

Our database was 130GB in size, and upgrading the first primary took about 2-1/2 hours (the database purge of 25 million records took 1/2 hour, and the upgrade itself took 2 hours).

The remaining primary servers took about 1/2 hour each.
0 Likes
farmeunitWPSD Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Windows Server 2008R2, our Audit DB didn't get created.

Here is link to what happened during ours:
https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/476710-11-3-upgrade-from-11-2-4MU1-horror-story-%28almost%29?p=2317707#post2317707

With the last two upgrade I've had files missing according to ZDC. Most of them WERE there, but had to change permission to EVERYONE for two different folders. I also had to copy files from a temporary upgraded server.
0 Likes
greiner Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Here our experience with Installation Zenworks11 sp3 from 11.2.4 with all updates on sles11sp3

we had any Trouble to install this update, but we have find quickly the 2 Problems:

1. we must use complex Password to create the Audit database, no message by installing, not documentation for this
2. the "zenadmin" user for the Zone database must have "english" as Standard language, Novell had create this with german language

After the successfull Installation 120 Workstations/Servers from 130 was updated the agents correctly, only 10 Workstations make Trouble.

With manuall Intervention we can inlcuded 8 Workstations, on only 2 Workstations we have Problems and have call the novell Support.

Deinstalling the Software with Windows don't work, the last cleaning tool don't solve the Problem.

Now we are waiting of a new cleaning tool for be able to integrate the 2 Workstations.

Why must the customer have a cleaning tool for each Version? why novell create not one Tool, that is able to clean all prealable agents!

We have found a new Point: Zenworks Suite to Register! what must we do to be able to Register?
0 Likes
greiner Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

a other Problem is the Password for the Audit database

by Installation/update the database will be new created and a Password will be generated automatically.
But the customer becomes no Information of this Password.
we have migrated all database on a new Server and now we cannot connect to the Audit database.
we don't find a file to edit the Password

It is also not possible to make a new Installation or update, the Installation Routine know that the zen11sp3 updates had be processed and the Installation failed.

with the console command Setup.sh -c --zcminstall it is not possible to connect to the existing Audit database

who can help???
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.