francis77 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Files waiting to be uploaded : Unexpected exception: Error

Hi,

If I could request some help regarding the error I seem to be receiving on the above subject.

We have a satellite server which has the collection role assigned to it. When checking the agent on this server under "Collection Role Properties" the following is shown:

"Files waiting to be uploaded : Unexpected exception: Error getting data"

There are other servers which use this server as the collection point and are unable to upload the Inventory scan information due to this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Francis
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Files waiting to be uploaded : Unexpected exception: Err

francis77;2493306 wrote:
Hi,

If I could request some help regarding the error I seem to be receiving on the above subject.

We have a satellite server which has the collection role assigned to it. When checking the agent on this server under "Collection Role Properties" the following is shown:

"Files waiting to be uploaded : Unexpected exception: Error getting data"

There are other servers which use this server as the collection point and are unable to upload the Inventory scan information due to this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Francis

Hi,
any files stuck in the inventory directory?

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-3/zen_troubleshooting_inventory/data/zen_troubleshooting_inventory.html#b1cixkqj

Also there is a specific forum for inventory question, this forum is related to patch management part of ZENworks 😉

https://forums.novell.com/forumdisplay.php/1794-ZCM-Inventory

Thomas
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Thomas,

I have checked the following location as advised by the documentation. Unfortunately the collection/satellite server that I am working on does not have the folder path mention in the doc.

The only path it has is the following under C:\Program File (x86)\Novell\Zenworks\Zeus
C:\Program File (x86)\Novell\Zenworks\logs

The OS is Windows 2008 R2 Standard
The agent version is 11.4.2.12471

Thanks,

Francis
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

francis77;2493352 wrote:
Hi Thomas,

I have checked the following location as advised by the documentation. Unfortunately the collection/satellite server that I am working on does not have the folder path mention in the doc.

The only path it has is the following under C:\Program File (x86)\Novell\Zenworks\Zeus
C:\Program File (x86)\Novell\Zenworks\logs

The OS is Windows 2008 R2 Standard
The agent version is 11.4.2.12471

Thanks,

Francis

So you don't have C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\work\collection\inventory directory on the satellite?

What do you get if you run echo %zenworks_home% in cmd on the satellite?

Thomas
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Thomas,

Running the above command points the directory to be on another drive in this case E:\zenworks\work\collection\inventory

I have checked the contents and noticed that there are at least over a 100 files in the Inventory and Messages folder. Have since moved them to see if it clears the error.

Upon clearing the files and running a new scan on the device, the original error still remains "Files waiting to be uploaded : Unexpected exception: Error getting data"

The /Inventory folder receives the file being uploaded
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I don't recall seeing there error before but a couple thoughts are....
#1 - Try rebooting to see if it helps...
#2 - Remove the Collection Role....Refresh the Server....Add the Collection Role. Refresh the Server.

Being ZCM 11.4.2 is not related to this error, but keep in mind that ZENworks 11.4.x is out of support.
I would strongly recommend getting with support to try and get to ZENworks 2017.
Update 4 should ship any day now....So Getting to ZENworks 2017 Update 4 would be a good thing.
Support can help you get there.....
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Craig,

We are running Zenworks 2017 Update 3 but on this server (Win 2008 R2 Standard) for some reason the agent version is the 11.4.x. I will try the above steps you recommended and see how that goes, thanks.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I would also look into upgrading the agent.
The Satellites are generally expected to be upgraded as soon as feasible after the Primaries are upgraded.

Whatever prevented the Satellite from Upgrading could be related to your current issue and resolving the upgrade issue may fix this as well...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Also my tip about re-installing the spoke will not be possible, since the agent is older.
Only Current Versions Agent can have that done. (Upgrading do ALMOST everything re-installing spoke would do...so no point to try that if an upgrade does not help....)

CRAIGDWILSON;2493502 wrote:
I would also look into upgrading the agent.
The Satellites are generally expected to be upgraded as soon as feasible after the Primaries are upgraded.

Whatever prevented the Satellite from Upgrading could be related to your current issue and resolving the upgrade issue may fix this as well...
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Craig,

Sorry for late reply, been away. The server is configured as one of the main satellite server for content replication. Its also running Win 2008 R2. If we are to uninstall the agent and install the latest agent what impact will it have i.e will the settings need to be reconfigured for eg. configure it back as the collection point, content server etc..

Thanks,

Francis
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Uninstalling and Reinstalling would take quite a bit of work.....
It would require demoting, removing agent, reinstalling, and promoting to sat.

However, you said your Primaries are 17.3 and this Satellite is 11.4.2

I would just apply the 17.3 update.
Much simpler and most things would get re-installed.
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Noted that the install and uninstall would take a lot of work. How do I go about installing the update 17.3 to the satellite server?

The other option I was thinking was to setup another separate server with latest agent installed and configure it as a collection point and point the devices to the new collection server. Keep the old server with old agent just as a content server. Please advise if this work around is possible, thanks.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.