inverseparadox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Frequent "File Removal Action" errors on "*.pls"

We run ZENworks version 11.4.3.

From time to time, seemingly at random, a random unit among the computers we manage with ZENworks will start showing errors of the form
The following files/directories in "File Removal Action" action could not be removed due to an error - C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks/zpm/*.pls

in ZCC, usually multiple times a day. The error is coming from the Discover Applicable Updates bundle. Once the device starts showing these errors, it apparently never stops.

I've been seeing this occasionally for years, and never found a solution less drastic than removing and reinstalling the ZENworks Adaptive Agent, which can have side effects that can significantly disrupt the end user's experience. (Clearing the cache, which since this error references files outside of the cache location might not even help, can have similar if less prominent side effects - inability to "Modify" an MSI-installed program from Add/Remove Programs because the MSI can't be found, for example.)

Searching for that error message on Google today finds only several hivmr forum-search-results pages (which I think appear to have originated in these forums, and/or past versions thereof) with largely unrelated discussions; searching for 'File Removal Action pls' here on these forums finds even less, and searching for just 'pls' here finds way too many results to dig through, none of which look potentially related.

In some cases, these errors have also appeared on the client machine, in pop-up "click OK" dialogs. I don't remember for certain whether or not I've seen that since we migrated away from Windows XP, however.

Aside from those click-OK dialogs intruding on users, I have not seen any indication that these errors represent an underlying problem; however, I can't be completely sure that e.g. patch applicability scan results on the affected machines are not inaccurate. Even if the issue is purely cosmetic, however, the fact that so many such errors are logged without any way to stop them means these devices rise to the top of the ZCC "Device Hot List", displacing devices which may have more serious issues.

Is this a known issue? What is the best approach for resolving this issue, with minimum disruption to the end user?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Frequent "File Removal Action" errors on "*.pls"

Not a known issue, so I don't have any specific recommendations.....

#1 - I would try and verify AV is excluded from the ZPM folder....
Use Process Monitor to files touching anything in the ZPM folder while running a DAU bundle to see if non-zcm processes are touching those files.
Quite possible that process could be hanging up the file cleanup.

#2 - ZCM 11.4.x is currently End-Of-Life, so you may want to consider looking to moving to a supported version of ZCM.
ZENworks 2017 Update 3 is scheduled to Ship in mid-August. (Would make sense to look at this target since you likely do not update frequently.)

NALWIN is replaced by ZAPP ( Think NALWIN Rebuilt from the Ground Up and designed to integrate into Modern versions of Windows...)
Other than that there are few changes in how the product works...excluding a vast array of optional free new features such as the management of IOS and Android devices. (Free under User Based Licensing)
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Frequent "File Removal Action" errors on "*.pls"

So what you may want to do is set it to the default of "Warnings and Errors" or just "Errors" to be rolled up.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.