Highlighted
kevinorritt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GUID

Can anyone tell me where ZCM gets the GUID from? We have had PC's end up with the same GUID (different machine specs, with different images), its driving me mad!
Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Jublian Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GUID

kevinorritt;1739542 wrote:
Can anyone tell me where ZCM gets the GUID from? We have had PC's end up with the same GUID (different machine specs, with different images), its driving me mad!

Multiple places if the image or machine has ever been in Zenworks before 😛

1) Image Safe data area. Access by using Zisedit
2) DeviceGuid file. C:\Program Files\Novell\Zenworks\Conf
3) Registry key. Can't remember which one off the bat....

Any of the above if not cleared correctly can cause duplicates.
0 Likes
kevinorritt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, I'll take a look - its puzzling me how they ended up with the same GUID in the first place? Does anyone know how it generates the GUID in the first place (i dont believe for a minute its random)!
0 Likes
Jublian Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kevinorritt;1739566 wrote:
Thanks, I'll take a look - its puzzling me how they ended up with the same GUID in the first place? Does anyone know how it generates the GUID in the first place (i dont believe for a minute its random)!

Most of the time a duplicate GUID is the result of not correctly clearing the GUID on the original image, then deploying that image to a machine that has never had Zen on it before.
0 Likes
bronislav1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kevinorritt;1739566 wrote:

I dont know how GUID's generated, but I think that it based on computer guid that generated at windows install time (or regenerated after sysprep if choose this option). I don't meet with same generated guid, but maybe I more lacky 😃

Anton Ilin
0 Likes
zcm10 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

we image our workstations too...

until now, we dont have any problems.. (the image was taken without domain)

now we have a little problem - two workstions has the same guid

the zen alias at both workstions were PC623

if i refresh PC623 ist rigth, but if i refresh pc368 the hostname change to PC368 and the zenalias is PC623...

hmm, now i refreshed PC623 the hostname is right again...

i have unregister both pc's and register.. nothing helps..
0 Likes
Jublian Absent Member.
Absent Member.

zcm10;1740430 wrote:
we image our workstations too...

until now, we dont have any problems.. (the image was taken without domain)

now we have a little problem - two workstions has the same guid

the zen alias at both workstions were PC623

if i refresh PC623 ist rigth, but if i refresh pc368 the hostname change to PC368 and the zenalias is PC623...

hmm, now i refreshed PC623 the hostname is right again...

i have unregister both pc's and register.. nothing helps..

Unregister both, delete the GUID info files I mentioned above, clear the GUID settings through Zisedit, shutdown the machines.

Delete both workstation objects, start the machines.

After they boot back up, re-register the machines and you should be fine.
0 Likes
zcm10 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hi...

so... now i had with PC623(oldceleron) other errors... so the user get a new pc pc184(core2duo). so all great ist works.

today, i have kill her old pc pc623 an setup with image and windows. so the device installs.

now i look in our zc management - pc623 has a alias with pc184. so the same thing..

but what shut i do? the only thing which is the same, is the user.

complete other hardware - complete diffrent dnsname

i need help - i didn't now what the problem is...
0 Likes
dariusz71 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.