NovAlf Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Ghost-device

Hi!
ZCM 17.2. In reports I noticed one “ghost-device” which does not appear via ZCC. It’s named as one of “real” devices + added MAC. Odd (for me), but it’s there. I see it also in table NC_Workstations.
How is most suitable way to get rid of this “ghost” in our ZEN-system?
More thanks, Alar.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Ghost-device

Look at some of the details of the object in reports and see last time it chatted.....
Then prune your inventory based on that date.

Inventory normally contains historical data.....not just current devices but devices that existed in the past.

If you are worried about "CURRENT" devices, I often recommend running the report based on a value such as "Last Full Refresh" Within last 15 or 30 days.
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi and thanks!
Interesting that we never had such a device, I mean, with such a naming. And … if I’m correct … we must see it somewhere via ZCC as it isn’t deleted, don't we?
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is the "add on" actually a MAC address or is it a GUID? If you have a device that failed on reconciliation, an additional record can be created that is device name + GUID. At that point, you have one device record with old history which is essentially orphaned and a newer record with history going forward. This tends to happen when the device reconciliation settings are set such that ZENworks can't get a good match on an existing device record. Recommended setting for reconciliation is Serial Number and MAC address, but not Machine Name.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi and thanks!
It’s definitely MAC. Well, must admit, don’t recall we have had any problem with this device adding into the Zone and don’t think any reconciliation needed. But, it’s make sense. Also, we have changed reconciliation settings as most of our computers is locally assembled and … mostly because of that don’t have “written in” serial numbers for ZEN to use. Sorry to say. Not my choice, but so it is. And, we keep computer names strictly unique. Mh. Well, anyway, but shouldn’t I see this orphaned device record still via ZCC?
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Huh - the MAC part is interesting. I'm not aware of a way for ZENworks to do that on its own; device name + MAC would have to come from a manually configured registration setting. (That is unless I'm about to learn something new...)

But yes, all such devices should appear in the ZCC until you go in and deal with them. If I see the Machine+GUID showing up, I look at reconciliation settings and make adjustments, then clean out the old, orphaned records, or tag them as retires so that a) they aren't burning a license and b) I can refer to them later.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.