xsisbest Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

How many MDT installs can you do at one time?

I'm curious how many MDT installs you can do with Zenworks at any one given time? I wish there was a way that it would work like AD so you can do many at one time. Or maybe there is? 
I'm imaging labs soon and I can pxe boot and install or I can create bootable flash drives and install locally. PXE is the way to go though if I can. Just didn't know how far you could push it before it's to much for Zen or the host machine. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How many MDT installs can you do at one time?

Not uncommon to image Dozens of devices at a time without much of an issue from a single imaging server.

It would also be wise to place an Imaging Satellite in different physical locations so that you are not imaging over a WAN or many different router hops.

Not uncommon for some schools to re-image 1000s of classroom PCs every night over PXE.

0 Likes
xsisbest Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Re: How many MDT installs can you do at one time?

Nice! I was under the impression that if you imaged multiple at once it could potentially bring the network to it's knees. Thank you for that info. 
One more question, I have been hosting the deployment on my own machine. While it's a fairly fast machine it's no server. So I copied my deployment share to one of our servers and am planning to host it there. What you are saying about satellite servers and such.. do you think hosting it on the Zen server would be best? 
We have several schools each with their own server and I was choosing one of the elementary schools since it runs the smoothest. I am not the network admin so don't know all the details about our network as I only do desktop and Google stuff, user level etc. But if I understand you correctly, you are saying I should have him create imaging satellites at all the school to avoid long journey's through our network. Are imaging Satellites a physical piece of hardware or repository like space for the files to be stored in multiple locations? I love the idea I just don't know networking that well. I'm trying to learn though as I go but I have a lot of other stuff I tend to that takes time away from learning. But with summer here it helps now that all the staff is gone. 
On my personal computer I would add my local user/pass and for domain I would put my computer name  into my boostrap.ini file within my share and I could connect  to my share and PXE boot boot without issue. When I put it on the server I couldn't connect cause my credentials weren't matching. I assumed I could just use my Novell user/pass and the server name but none of that worked. I assume I don't have rights to access the server in that fashion so I'll talk to him about setting up a user/pass for imaging purposes. 
Thanks again for your input. I'm excited to get this off my machine and more accessible across our network. I can't connect to it unless i Bring my computer to each school currently. Not ideal for sure.. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.