Ibz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to deny a user a particular application?

Hi,

How can I deny a user from seeing a particular application. Something like the deny permission in windows. The user is part of a bigger group, and so the application, is part of a bigger bundle. I would like the user to access all application in the bundle apart from one. I am new to this, I hope I am making sense 🙂

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to deny a user a particular application?

#1 - Browse to and then open the User in the ZCC.
#2 - Select Relationships and select "All" under assigned bundles.
#3 - Select the designated bundle and select block.
0 Likes
Ibz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Craig and thank you for your help.

I do not seem to find any user, neither by search or browse. Not sure why. Do you think I do not have the right permissions, or, users are configured in a different way? I can see devices’ names, and security groups, but no users.
From what I can see, it syncs with AD just fine, but no users 

Ibz
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Assignments can be made via User or Device.
ZCM may not be configured to do assignments via Users...Device only.
You can block via a device object as well so the user's device does not get the object.

--

Let's make this REALLY difficult now.

You have a Shared Computer Called "PC1" that SmartOne and DumbOne use.
The Bundles are assigned to the Devices and not the Users.
You have an Application called "Scissors" that you feel SmartOne can use Safely but are scared to let DumbOne use.

So even though "Scissors" is assigned to the PC, you want to make sure it is only available when "SmartOne" is logged on.
In this case "Blocking" the assignment will not work because it is not user assigned.

In this case, you could try configuring some type of System Requirement that would only pass if the "SmartOne" was logged on.
For Example, There should be some File locally or on the network that Only "SmartOne" has by being a member of the Domain Group "IamNotDumb"
Then set a System Requirement for That file in the bundle.
0 Likes
Ibz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2482928 wrote:
Assignments can be made via User or Device.
ZCM may not be configured to do assignments via Users...Device only.
You can block via a device object as well so the user's device does not get the object.

--

Let's make this REALLY difficult now.

You have a Shared Computer Called "PC1" that SmartOne and DumbOne use.
The Bundles are assigned to the Devices and not the Users.
You have an Application called "Scissors" that you feel SmartOne can use Safely but are scared to let DumbOne use.

So even though "Scissors" is assigned to the PC, you want to make sure it is only available when "SmartOne" is logged on.
In this case "Blocking" the assignment will not work because it is not user assigned.

In this case, you could try configuring some type of System Requirement that would only pass if the "SmartOne" was logged on.
For Example, There should be some File locally or on the network that Only "SmartOne" has by being a member of the Domain Group "IamNotDumb"
Then set a System Requirement for That file in the bundle.

Thanks again and really appreciate your help. Also, that scenario was really nice.

Is this the section you refer to? I cannot configure anything in there. Pls bare with , as I am still trying to learn this 🙂

this is what I see:
http://prntscr.com/jz1l7a

Thanks again

Ibz
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You are in the correct section, but it appears you do not have permissions in the ZCC to manage the bundle or change its settings.
It is possible that is why you cannot see some of the user assignment info...

Possible that is not configured but also possible you do not have permission to see it.
0 Likes
Ibz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2483018 wrote:
You are in the correct section, but it appears you do not have permissions in the ZCC to manage the bundle or change its settings.
It is possible that is why you cannot see some of the user assignment info...

Possible that is not configured but also possible you do not have permission to see it.

Thanks again.

I have fixed the permission issue. Could you please let me know if this is a valid condition. I was going for the easiest option of course. If not, what can I use in the environment variable value? is there a list or something. tried google, but could not find much.

http://prntscr.com/jz5jww

Thanks again for your help

Ibz
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Off the top of my head, I believe you want
USERNAME
not
%USERNAME%

Also see https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7012986
For another way of checking vars......

While I did write the TID, I don't recall WHY I checked the registry vs Existence of the variable.....But it was created 5 years ago so whatever the reason may have been may no longer apply.

Ibz;2483029 wrote:
Thanks again.

I have fixed the permission issue. Could you please let me know if this is a valid condition. I was going for the easiest option of course. If not, what can I use in the environment variable value? is there a list or something. tried google, but could not find much.

http://prntscr.com/jz5jww

Thanks again for your help

Ibz
0 Likes
Ibz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2483047 wrote:
Off the top of my head, I believe you want
USERNAME
not
%USERNAME%

Also see https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7012986
For another way of checking vars......

While I did write the TID, I don't recall WHY I checked the registry vs Existence of the variable.....But it was created 5 years ago so whatever the reason may have been may no longer apply.

I have removed the percentage. It worked fine. Thanks again for all your help. really appreciate it.

Ibz
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.