ancient333 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to find success return code? and relavence?

Hey Guys

Can someone please tell me what the relevance is of a "success return code" ?
Also, how do I find what the "success return code" is for programs ?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to find success return code? and relavence?

Generally 0 indicates a "Success".
Non-Zero Generally indicates an error exit condition....with the number giving info about what the error may mean.

However, the exit values returned by a program are up to the developer and can be different for every program.
You would need to check the documentation for any give program.

Here is a list of some general error codes given my Windows installer.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/msi/error-codes

Error 1603 is the most common, but also useless.
It simply means "install failure". It does not give any indication of exactly WHY it failed.
MSI logs would be needed to identify the ROOT cause of failure.

When troubleshooting Install Failures, I often find it useful to set the installer to run with /QB- vs /S
This way the installer will have some graphical output that helps give some indication in an error window about why it failed....Not enough disk space, Java Required, etc.....
Far easier than reading through log files....at least for the average desktop technician.
0 Likes
ancient333 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to find success return code? and relavence?

Thanks for the info Craig 🙂
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.