Highlighted
obscurityPrivacy Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

How to install a appropriate PostgreSQL-DB for 2017SP4%3F

Jump to solution

I want to migrate ZCM 2017SP4 from external Sybase DB to PostgreSQL DB.

I read documentation and do so. I have a new SLES12SP4, mount the ISO ZENworks2017a.iso and run ./setup.sh -c

There I can choose a language (This is only the setting for the install process, or not?) and then the script ends. 😧

Where is a exact and correct documentation do install the PostgreSQL-DB before start the migration?

What are about the "!$%$% Labels? ZCM10, ZCM11, ... ? Not able to crate a new label ... OMG

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to install a appropriate PostgreSQL-DB for 2017SP4%3F

Jump to solution

I would recommend just holding off a couple of Weeks until ZCM 2020 Ships.

When 2020 Ships, there will be updated documentation on the Sybase to PostGres migration as well as upgraded database migration tools.  

All the tools and documentation will be specifically for Migration Sybase to PostGres while STILL running ZCM 17.x

The tools and docs will walk you through migrating from Sybase to PostGres and steps on how to roll back easily if there is an issue.  Sybase will not be one of the Database Options for running ZCM 2020 and a migration from Sybase to PostGres, MS_SQL, or Oracle will be required PRIOR to the upgrade to ZCM 2020.

Due to this requirement, there has been extensive time and effort into the tools and documentation for this process that will be released with ZCM 2020 in about 2 weeks.  (Clearly any release dates are tentative.)

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I would recommend just holding off a couple of Weeks until ZCM 2020 Ships.

When 2020 Ships, there will be updated documentation on the Sybase to PostGres migration as well as upgraded database migration tools.  

All the tools and documentation will be specifically for Migration Sybase to PostGres while STILL running ZCM 17.x

The tools and docs will walk you through migrating from Sybase to PostGres and steps on how to roll back easily if there is an issue.  Sybase will not be one of the Database Options for running ZCM 2020 and a migration from Sybase to PostGres, MS_SQL, or Oracle will be required PRIOR to the upgrade to ZCM 2020.

Due to this requirement, there has been extensive time and effort into the tools and documentation for this process that will be released with ZCM 2020 in about 2 weeks.  (Clearly any release dates are tentative.)

0 Likes
obscurityPrivacy Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution
Ok, we will move this to the end of the year ...
(But the documentation of this part in 2017SP4 is ... 'incomplete' anyway)
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

One more Note about the Sybase Migration and ZCM 2020.

While the Release of ZCM 2020 will give updated/improved Database Migration Tools.....

Please view this as a two part process....Migrate from Sybase to PostGres (Or Other).

Then let everything continue to run for a few days to ensure everything is working well.

The tools/process will actually allow you to move BACK to Sybase from PostGres if there are any issues that arise.  However, this is only possible while still on ZCM 17.4.x.  Once the Zone is Upgraded to ZCM 2020, it will not be possible to go back to Sybase.  Thus if there is some hidden issue that is not immediately apparent and you upgrade, a rollback to Sybase will be vastly more difficult.

Patience is the key....While it is possible to Migrate your DB and then Upgrade to ZCM 2020 in a single maintenance window, that is not something I would recommend.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.