Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
schiggieh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to remove a Satellite Imaging Server from Zone?

Hey Everyone

I ran into the following problem...
A few month ago I set up a normal Workstation as a Satellite-Server with Imaging Role. This worked great so far, all Workstations in this Subnet were automatically redirected towards this server etc.

Last week I got new hardware and set it up as an satellite imaging server in the server room - And removed the Imaging Role from the old Satellite Server in ZCC under Configuration Tab.

This works without any problems for every subnet, beside the one the Satellite Server was in. Every machine within this subnet trying to PXE boot, gets its PXE Menu from the Primary/newSatellite but afterwards tries to recieve the imaging files from 0.0.0.0, so all Image-Files configured in the Config File fail

I could not find any source for this problem, so I set up the Imaging Role for the old Satellite Server Workstation again and everything works fine once again (Workstations in the Satellites Subnet, recieve their images from the old Satellite again).

Primary Servers are running Win2k3, 32 Bit
old Satellite is running with Win7 32 Bit
[new Satellites are running von Win2k8 / Win7 32 Bit]

This is one of the Config Files currently in use:
#====================== WARNING! ======================#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!
#
# Modifying this file is unsupported and can have
# unpredictable results on ZENworks Preboot Services
#======================================================#

ZENWORKSAPPEND 1
DEFAULT imaging
LABEL imaging
kernel boot\linux
append 5 initrd=boot\initrd mode=2 rootimage=/root install=tftp://$PXESERVER/boot splash=silent vga=0x314 tftptimeout=50 $KERNEL_PARMS newid="0x8086 0x1502,e1000e" IMGCMD="eval img -rp /WIN7/BASIS/BASISIMAGE.zmg ; img -rp /WIN7/AddOn/Hardware/AddOn-T420.zmg ; img -rp /WIN7/AddOn/Sysprep/AddOn-Sysprep.zmg ; img -rp /WIN7/AddOn/ZCM/Addon-SW-ZCM.zmg ; img -rp /WIN7/AddOn/TrendMicro/Addon-SW-TM.zmg ; img -rp /WIN7/AddOn/LotusNotes/Addon-SW-LN.zmg ; img -rp /WIN7/AddOn/WindowsFixes/AddOn-FIX-WIN7.zmg"

Anyone got a clue? I am really perplexed 🙂

Once upon a time there was a guy named Ömse...
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to remove a Satellite Imaging Server from Zone?

Schiggieh,

DHCP updated?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
schiggieh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As far as I have undestood it, the DHCP Servers PXE Flag is set to aim at the Primary Server, which then allocates the "requesting workstation" towards one of the Imaging-Servers?

In this case it would be DHCP-PXE Request --> Primary 2 --> Satellite Server in according Subnet

Perhabs I have gotten it wrong in some way.
We have configured our DHCP Server to point towards the ZCM Server (which does not run the DHCP-Proxy Service)

0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Schiggieh,

> PXE Flag is set to aim
> at the Primary Server,
>

http://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/zen11_cm_preboot_imaging/data/bg512rl.html
you need to ensure that the PDHCP service responds to the workstation, so it can tell it where to get the boot file.
Do you have DHCP and PDHCP on the same server? Can you explain in a little more detail?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
schiggieh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey Shaun,

The Primary Servers are all running in their own Server-Subnet on the VMware Farm (10.181.56 Subnet), each Server on Windows Server 2k3 hosting only ZCM (10.3.1).
The DHCP Server is managed from an other Site, we only got Access via a Web-Frontend to configure our Sites Subnets. So ZCM and DHCP arent running on the same Hardware.

I cant access the DHCP Server in any other way but the Web-Frotnend, in Order to set the Subnets Boot Option towards the ZCM Server we have opened a Ticket at the responsible department.

When first testing ZCM Imaging we used the Second Primary Server as the Imaging Server, which worked without any Problems from every Subnet configured for PXE Boot.
The Router between the IT Staff Subnet and the Server-Subnet at this time had only 100Mbit Bandwith, so I set up a Satellite Server with PXE Services activated, within the IT Staff Subnet for Imaging Tasks in order to have Gbit Connection.

The IT Staff Subnet is 10.181.27, thats where the first Satellite Server is running (which I tried to Remove).

For the Roll-Out coming up we use the Subnet 10.181.40, which has annother Satellite Server running. This one works just fine so far. But I would guess, removing it, will lead to identical problems. I will test this later on.

The ZCM Imaging Server did not run the proxy-dhcp Service at any time (even before Satellites with PXE Services enabled), but it worked just fine before adding the Satellite Servers.
I set it to Auto-Start yesterday and removed the Satellite Server in the 10.181.27 Subnet - Still when removing the Subnet Satellite Server, no Imaging is possible. (currently the Satellite is added to Server Hierachy again)

As long as the Satellite is set up in Server Hierachy (with PXE Services enabled) the Workstations in the 10.181.27 Subnet boot, recieve their pxemenu.txt and LinuxBoot File from the 10.181.27 Subnets Satellite Server and Images are transfered from the Satellite Server as desired.
When removing the Satellite, disabling the PXE Services on the Satellite, or shutting it down, the Workstation recieve the pxemenu.txt and after Selecting a Config-Link, the LinuxBoot File from the Primary Server, Linux boots, Image Transfer should start, but the Workstation tries to recieve the Image Files from 0.0.0.0 instead of the Primary Server or the other Satellite Server in Subnet 10.181.40.

From the Documentation I figured out, it should be enough to have one (Satellite)Server running the dhcp-proxy Service, Currently its activated on the Imaging-Primary Server and on both Satellites ("Enable PXE services" checked in "Configure Imaging Role" within Server Hierachy).

I still wonder why this does not work, I had tested the behaviour when simply shutting down the 27 Subnet Satellite Server - the Workstation were recieving everything from the Primary Server without any problems.
I tested this in 2010, since then we have updated from 10.3.0 towards 10.3.1

Hope this clears it up a little 🙂

0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Schiggieh,

during boot, the PCs must be able to contact a server that's running
PDHCP, so it can tell them where to get the boot files - /something/ is
running that...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
schiggieh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey Shaun,

At the moment both Satellites and the Primary are running PDHCP.

When shutting down the Satellite / disabling PXE Services in ZCC or PDHCP Service within the system for the Satellite, the workstations within that Satellites Subnet try to fetch the Images from 0.0.0.0
The PXE-Menu comes up and Linux is booting as it should, so until the Point of actually transfering the image, the right adress is handed to the clients.
I did not change any configuration files on the primary Server since setting up the first Satellite.

Okay, i forgot to press the Reply Button and tried it once again since then. Removing the Satellite Server via ZCC Server Hierachy... now it works, no changes made
Does it take a certain ammount of time for the PDHCP Service to recognize that the Satellite is no longer available or something like this?

0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Schiggieh,

> Does it take a certain ammount of time for the PDHCP Service to
> recognize that the Satellite is no longer available or something like
> this?
>

no idea, I guess there's the refresh/replication time involved, but I'm
not sure!

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.