krogers1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to start using ZPM

Hi all

I have ZCM 10.3.0a baslined across 3 offices with a total of about 360 workstations. Patch Managment is currently disabled. How do I go about re-enabling for a small group of workstations for testing??

thanks
Kirk
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
htennant1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to start using ZPM

Do you have a subscription license for patch management? From memory you get about 60 days free trial, but if you have used these days already, you might need to get a license...

From there its just a matter of getting the list of current updates:

configuration -> Patch management -> Subscription service information

You will need to make sure the subscription service is running, while you are here, click the update now button. This could take some time if it hasnt been running for a while (the last time I ran it on a fresh server it took 4 hours)

Please check the following section of the documentation for more info:
Novell Documentation

Once the patch information has been downloaded, you then need to download the actual patches you want

Patch Management -> select the patch(es) you want to download -> Action -> Update cache
Note: You can probably deploy patches before downloading, but I like to take things one step at a time:

Once the patches have been downloaded (green icon) you can push them to the machines:

Action -> Deploy Remediation -> Follow the wizard and select applicable machines

Please check the following section of the documentation for more info:
Novell Documentation

After this, refresh the workstations and you should be good to go

Good luck
Cheers
Heath

krogers1;2026218 wrote:
Hi all

I have ZCM 10.3.0a baslined across 3 offices with a total of about 360 workstations. Patch Managment is currently disabled. How do I go about re-enabling for a small group of workstations for testing??

thanks
Kirk
0 Likes
krogers1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Heath

We're licensed for Patch Management and the subscription service appears to be running, last poll was at midnight last night.

I note that under Configuration | Device Managment | ZENworks Agent | Patch Managment that "Installed" is unchecked.

How to I push the Patch Managment component out to workstations? Can I do it to just a pilot group?

I recall initially disabling Patch Managment as we were concerned that the workstations would take a performance hit.

thanks
Kirk
0 Likes
htennant1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Kirk,

You can absolutly push it out to a pilot group, with a couple of caveats. You will not be able to change this setting for a workstation group, however, you can change it on a device folder or an individual workstation. To do this:

- Go to either a workstation folder or workstation object
- Settings tab -> Device Management -> ZENworks agent
- Click the 'Override' link
- From there, click installed and enabled for patch management
- Then click apply

I am not 100% whether a device refresh is enough to make it active or if you will have to un-register and re-register the device in the zone. I would start by just refreshing the agent on the ws then checking in the properties to see if patch management is listed as running.

Let me know how you go
Cheers
Heath

krogers1;2026252 wrote:
Hi Heath

We're licensed for Patch Management and the subscription service appears to be running, last poll was at midnight last night.

I note that under Configuration | Device Managment | ZENworks Agent | Patch Managment that "Installed" is unchecked.

How to I push the Patch Managment component out to workstations? Can I do it to just a pilot group?

I recall initially disabling Patch Managment as we were concerned that the workstations would take a performance hit.

thanks
Kirk
krogers1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

PERFECT!! Thanks Heath. I've created a sub folder under Devices | Worsktations called "Pilot" and overridden the ZEN Agent settings on that folder.
0 Likes
htennant1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Excellent 🙂 Glad to hear its working 🙂 If you have any other questions, just let me know!

Cheers
Heath

krogers1;2026929 wrote:
PERFECT!! Thanks Heath. I've created a sub folder under Devices | Worsktations called "Pilot" and overridden the ZEN Agent settings on that folder.
0 Likes
sibruv Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Guys,

Been following the thread that's great, I know it sounds a silly question but how do we know which patches the workstations need ? if I run a windows update, it will show me I need this patch etc, but does Zen actually say, you need msxxxx patch etc...

Simon
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sibruv,

yes it does

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
sibruv Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Sean,

Long time no speak.

I realise it does now if I add the discover-Windows 7bundle, which is good, however
I have now gone to deploy a patch and nothing is happening, the user in question has no rights
to install apps, is this a problem ? currently to install apps we copy them to a c:\bundles directory and launch from there, do we have to do the same with the patches ?

Simon
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sibruv,

the patches should be run as a dynamic admin user - does the
remediation bundle appear in the list of bundles for the device?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.