mike_everich Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Imaging Dell Optiplex 740, GX280, 320

We were and are still running a ZCM 10 setup and now I created a new ZCM 11 server with NO SP1 installed. I applied a couple of post patches.

I create the base image, installing the Novell Client, ZCM 11 agent and other software. This is on a Windows XP Pro SP3 install keep in mind. When I upload the image into Zenworks Imaging on my satellite server, the images always upload fine, no errors at all.

The issue is that when I download the images to other workstations, I receive a Blue Screen of Death immediately on the Windows XP loading screen telling me to run a chkdsk or uninstall Antivirus software, etc. I had this happen last year on one machine and it wasn't a huge issue because chkdsk fixed it. This year it's happening on 3 of our Dells. I did install the July imaging driver update and that didn't appear to fix the issue.

Could software be causing a problem? I've installed some other software that shouldn't cause any issues that I'm aware of, but I guess there is always a chance.

I was told applying SP1 might correct the issue with the blue screens, but then that's going to create a lot more work for me in the long run.

Has anyone had this experience before and know of any quick way to fix this?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
kevgo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Imaging Dell Optiplex 740, GX280, 320

I presume when it BSOD's it a quick flash and it gets stuck in a loop. If you PXE boot into maintenance mode and run the following;

fdisk /dev/sda
p (shows partitions)

Do you see any odd notes concerning "Partition exists outside cylinder boundary" or something to that effect? Are there any hidden dell partitions?

I was having similar issues. When machines were having problems with 11.0 I would delete the partitions, bring down the image and it would work fine.

fdisk /dev/sda

d
d
w
q

Another question.. how are you creating your image? On what machine type? Where you are using an XP image how are you accounting for differences in the HAL files? I know that an Optiplex 745 has different HALs than the GX280. This is corrected by bringing down the base image first, then followed up with a driver addon for the drivers/HAL files before rebooting. Having the wrong HALs will cause looping behavior. IF this is the case you will be fine bringing the image down on the same model which you made your image on, and will have issues with other models.

kevgo.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

The only message I see when I run fdisk /dev/sda is the following:

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 9726.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1)software that runs at boot time(e.g., old versions of LILO)
2)booting and partitioning software from other OSs (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

and I did try using the commands you listed and I didn't see any other partitions listed and I don't believe there are any hidden dell partitions that I'm aware of, but after running those commands in the order you listed, I was unable to boot to windows at all because of the altering of the main partition, which would make sense I'm sure.

Also, I don't know too much on HALs, but currently I am using an Optiplex 740 as my satellite server and that's what I used to send up the 740 image and send it down. It's not really a BSOD loop, it does stay on the blue screen.

I currently don't use sysprep because I've never needed to before and it's always worked. As I stated, last year with ZCM 10, I had no issues at all and I even used a 740 as an imaging satellite server and only had one issue with a GX270.

How could I create a driver addon bundle and would this mean that I shouldn't install any of the 740 drivers at all?

I really appreciate the help, this has been driving me nuts!

kevgo;2129475 wrote:
I presume when it BSOD's it a quick flash and it gets stuck in a loop. If you PXE boot into maintenance mode and run the following;

fdisk /dev/sda
p (shows partitions)

Do you see any odd notes concerning "Partition exists outside cylinder boundary" or something to that effect? Are there any hidden dell partitions?

I was having similar issues. When machines were having problems with 11.0 I would delete the partitions, bring down the image and it would work fine.

fdisk /dev/sda

d
d
w
q

Another question.. how are you creating your image? On what machine type? Where you are using an XP image how are you accounting for differences in the HAL files? I know that an Optiplex 745 has different HALs than the GX280. This is corrected by bringing down the base image first, then followed up with a driver addon for the drivers/HAL files before rebooting. Having the wrong HALs will cause looping behavior. IF this is the case you will be fine bringing the image down on the same model which you made your image on, and will have issues with other models.

kevgo.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Actually when I ran those commands, it was on the base image that I was sending up to my Zenworks Imaging server. When I went to the image that I downloaded to a new workstation, the Dell Utility partition did exist and I did use the commands you listed in the order:

fdisk /dev/sda

d
d
w
q

After using the 'w' command, it brings me back to the imaging prompt so I was unable to use the 'q' command, but I restarted the workstation and it told me there was no boot partition.

I think we're on the right track here, but my question is why is there a Dell Utility partition on an image after it is downloaded, when it is not on the base image? It doesn't really make any sense.

In order to fix the non bootable partition, could I run a fixmbr or fixboot from the recovery console?

mike_everich;2129602 wrote:
The only message I see when I run fdisk /dev/sda is the following:

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 9726.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1)software that runs at boot time(e.g., old versions of LILO)
2)booting and partitioning software from other OSs (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

and I did try using the commands you listed and I didn't see any other partitions listed and I don't believe there are any hidden dell partitions that I'm aware of, but after running those commands in the order you listed, I was unable to boot to windows at all because of the altering of the main partition, which would make sense I'm sure.

Also, I don't know too much on HALs, but currently I am using an Optiplex 740 as my satellite server and that's what I used to send up the 740 image and send it down. It's not really a BSOD loop, it does stay on the blue screen.

I currently don't use sysprep because I've never needed to before and it's always worked. As I stated, last year with ZCM 10, I had no issues at all and I even used a 740 as an imaging satellite server and only had one issue with a GX270.

How could I create a driver addon bundle and would this mean that I shouldn't install any of the 740 drivers at all?

I really appreciate the help, this has been driving me nuts!
0 Likes
kevgo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mike,

When you receive the BSOD on the recently imaged machine what error message are you getting. Is is related to disk access / inaccessible boot device such as 0x00000007b? If not can you post the stop error?

If you open up the base image with image explorer you see just the one partition I presume?

In our environment I use a universal WinXP base image and supplement with driver addon images which resolve hardware/Hal issues. Before sending up the image I run sysprep on the base image, next PXE boot and send up the image. I can provide you with driver addons for certain models if you wish to save some time.

Have you incorporated AHCI drivers into your base image? If not the bios on the systems receiving the image should be set to sata/legacy. This would cause inaccessible boot device-like errors.

kevgo
0 Likes
Absent Member.

The exact error message besides the normal "a problem has been detected" is the following:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmetation or backup utilties. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical info:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x89DC19F*,0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

That's the exact error message.

Now on the 740, I did try a CHKDSK /R through Recovery Console and that did fix the issue, then it booted up no problem. But on the GX280, it's the same error and CHKDSK did not fix the issue. I'm still testing a few ideas, because I still feel it might be related to a piece of software, I will know in a little while whether that is the case or not.

I normally never use AHCI drivers. I used them last year on a different model and had no issues with them.

So in order to use the driver addon images, I have to use sysprep? I'd prefer not to, because that's a more time consuming step and I have never needed to use sysprep before at all.

I'd be willing to give it a try if that's what it comes down to.

Do you have some good documentation on how to accomplish what you're explaining to me, in the event I need to go that route and can't get this issue resolved? I do appreciate it a lot.

kevgo;2129642 wrote:
Mike,

When you receive the BSOD on the recently imaged machine what error message are you getting. Is is related to disk access / inaccessible boot device such as 0x00000007b? If not can you post the stop error?

If you open up the base image with image explorer you see just the one partition I presume?

In our environment I use a universal WinXP base image and supplement with driver addon images which resolve hardware/Hal issues. Before sending up the image I run sysprep on the base image, next PXE boot and send up the image. I can provide you with driver addons for certain models if you wish to save some time.

Have you incorporated AHCI drivers into your base image? If not the bios on the systems receiving the image should be set to sata/legacy. This would cause inaccessible boot device-like errors.

kevgo
0 Likes
kevgo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have over 50 different model types and as such required a universal image + drivers using sysprep. If you have something that works for you at this point then it likely is best to stick with it. I presume you are looking at Win 7 deployment? If so you likely don't want to invest resources into WinXP.

The process isn't difficult should you choose to sysprep your image. The benefit of using an addon image for drivers is that during sysprep it reads a cmdlines.txt file which has your silent installation scripts for drivers, or any other software for that matter. If you find the issue above is related to software, which is usually AV or other software which installs drivers and is tightly integrated into the OS, you could remove if from your image and see if the issue is resolved. Then.. if you wish you could install it during sysprep via cmdlines.txt if you go down that route.

I have always used sysprep, so I may not be much assistance troubleshooting the issues you are seeing. I can throw out suggestions, that's about it.

In terms of documentation/resources I have no issues sharing our sysprep folder with the sysprep.inf and driver packages for model types and providing a bit of direction. If you are a dell or an IBM/Lenovo shop there is a good chance I have what you need in terms of drivers.

kevgo
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Well I removed some of the software I thought might be causing the issue and the blue screen is still occuring on the XP loading screen. I guess the last thing I can try uninstalling is our AV software, but I know I didn't have any conflicts with it last year with ZCM10.

Otherwise sysprep is the only option I'm going to have to pursue. I was thinking I could try another imaging option, but that might even be more of a headache than anything else.

How are the scripts created? Also, for the sysprep.inf, I could just edit that myself to properly implement that to our environment, correct? If we're using OEM copies of XP, it wouldn't be necessary to enter a product key during the setup, correct?

kevgo;2129696 wrote:
I have over 50 different model types and as such required a universal image + drivers using sysprep. If you have something that works for you at this point then it likely is best to stick with it. I presume you are looking at Win 7 deployment? If so you likely don't want to invest resources into WinXP.

The process isn't difficult should you choose to sysprep your image. The benefit of using an addon image for drivers is that during sysprep it reads a cmdlines.txt file which has your silent installation scripts for drivers, or any other software for that matter. If you find the issue above is related to software, which is usually AV or other software which installs drivers and is tightly integrated into the OS, you could remove if from your image and see if the issue is resolved. Then.. if you wish you could install it during sysprep via cmdlines.txt if you go down that route.

I have always used sysprep, so I may not be much assistance troubleshooting the issues you are seeing. I can throw out suggestions, that's about it.

In terms of documentation/resources I have no issues sharing our sysprep folder with the sysprep.inf and driver packages for model types and providing a bit of direction. If you are a dell or an IBM/Lenovo shop there is a good chance I have what you need in terms of drivers.

kevgo
0 Likes
lynnreas Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mike,
Did you ever figure out the problem with the GX280 not booting after imaging?
I am having a problem restoring a ZENworks 11 Windows XP SP3 image to a Dell OptiPlex GX280. After restoring the image I will see the Windows XP boot logo for a second or two, then the BSOD will appear. I am using the same workstation to create the image from and restore the image to. I do not have the ZEN client on the machine image. I did disable Symantec Enterprise Protection before creating the image. I also tried using Ghost to create an image and restore it to the same machine and did not have any problems, even with SEP enabled.
Ran checkdisk before and after a restore. Changed out the hard drive for a new one. Nothing seems to work.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Lynn,

I still never found out what the cause of the issue was. I checked everything I could possibly think of and what I ended up doing was starting from scratch on the same machine and I tried imaging little by little. I installed XP SP3, then drivers, then the Novell Client and the ZEN client and then I uploaded the image and brought it back down on another GX 280 and it worked fine. I kept doing that all the way until the image was complete and I had no more blue screens. I even installed Symantec Endpoint on the workstation and no issues when bringing down the image. Maybe there was a flake or bug somewhere along the way, but I never traced it down to anything exact.

I would double check the SATA operation in the BIOS just in case it is somehow set to AHCI, but I'm sure you already checked that. I left mine set to IDE as I have no use for AHCI on those workstations and it has never been set to AHCI.

The only other thing I would maybe check is by viewing the partition information in Zen imaging and see if there are any extra partitions that don't belong there. I know XP doesn't create any extras, but I do use Dell OEM installation CDs and never create extra partitions, but I saw some other Dell partition and wasn't sure why that was showing up.

Let me know if any of that helps.

Mike

lynnreas;2155462 wrote:
Mike,
Did you ever figure out the problem with the GX280 not booting after imaging?
I am having a problem restoring a ZENworks 11 Windows XP SP3 image to a Dell OptiPlex GX280. After restoring the image I will see the Windows XP boot logo for a second or two, then the BSOD will appear. I am using the same workstation to create the image from and restore the image to. I do not have the ZEN client on the machine image. I did disable Symantec Enterprise Protection before creating the image. I also tried using Ghost to create an image and restore it to the same machine and did not have any problems, even with SEP enabled.
Ran checkdisk before and after a restore. Changed out the hard drive for a new one. Nothing seems to work.
0 Likes
ukdtom Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What's the stop code ?
--
Tommy Mikkelsen
IT Quality A/S, Denmark
Novell Support Forums SYSOP / NKP

Sorry, but no support through email
Please join http://www.open-horizons.net

lynnreas wrote:

>
> Mike,
> Did you ever figure out the problem with the GX280 not booting after
> imaging?
> I am having a problem restoring a ZENworks 11 Windows XP SP3 image to
> a Dell OptiPlex GX280. After restoring the image I will see the
> Windows XP boot logo for a second or two, then the BSOD will appear.
> I am using the same workstation to create the image from and restore
> the image to. I do not have the ZEN client on the machine image. I
> did disable Symantec Enterprise Protection before creating the image.
> I also tried using Ghost to create an image and restore it to the
> same machine and did not have any problems, even with SEP enabled.
> Ran checkdisk before and after a restore. Changed out the hard drive
> for a new one. Nothing seems to work.

Best Regards Tommy Mikkelsen Denmark Please Report back any success or failure, That way we all learn Sorry, but no support through email "I hate bugs".......Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.