rankerich Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Imaging HP 440 G3 with PXE or CD hanging on loading initrd

We are having trouble imaging our newest HP 440 G4s. Hanging on "loading initrd /efi/x86_64/initrd..................done". We are running ZCM 11.4.3. Get same results on PXE boot or using the latest March update CD. Using Imaging Maintenance mode.

Anyone seeing this? Is there a fix?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
23 Replies
bbilut Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Imaging HP 440 G3 with PXE or CD hanging on loading init

We are having the exact same problem with new HP 640 G3 laptop we just got from HP to maybe be used as our new model for the next year. I've tried the boot CD and no dice there. We are also running the March 2017 driver update.

We hang at the exact same point when in UEFI mode. It will boot in BIOS mode, but we need UEFI.

0 Likes
rankerich Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Exactly what we are getting. And, yes, we need UEFI as well. Hopefully, someone will answers for us.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Development is constantly working on misc hardware compatibility fixes.
I would recommend an SR and they may be able to get you the latest test files to see if they help.

I have not yet been given an ETA on the next release, so it will likely still be a few weeks minimum and quite possibly much longer.
The imaging updates are not on a fixed cadence.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Doing a bit more digging, I do see that ZCM 2017 Update 1 is expected to have a significant imaging Kernel Update (SLES 12 SP1 -> SLES 12 SP2), which should address some compatibility issues.
ZCM 2017 Update 1 will likely ship sometime in June.

Historically "Monthly" Imaging update tend to ship a few days after a major update release of ZCM and will synch up with what was in that release across older versions.

You can still open an SR to have the issue examined now as well as have a change to test the latest unreleased code.
If you choose to wait, my guess is that sometime next month, a new set of public imaging files will be available.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Imaging HP 440 G3 with PXE or CD hanging on loading initrd

Rankerich,

sounds like you both need to open a SR...

--

Shaun Pond (now working for ENGL)
reminted as a Knowledge Professional

0 Likes
matt3680 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I have the same issue with new HP BIOS, mine is the HP ProBook x360 G1 EE model. I opened SR 101063633101 and provided them with more details on the hardware.
I found that if I let it sit for at least 8 hours, eventually it will get to the imaging prompt. I just booted to PXE and it took about 4 hours before it came up to the blue "Please make sure your installation medium is available" screen, but if I don't touch it, in about 4 more hours it will eventually get to the imaging prompt and then I can start an image restore. At that point, pulling down an image is fairly normal (about 40 minutes, I think it should be less, but I'm ok with 40 minutes). Then back at the #, I usually type "zisedit -c" to clear out the SID value since this is a brand new machine, and just typing it takes a couple minutes due to a huge lag on the computer. But once I reboot and go through the Windows initial startup after imaging, it is normal again.
0 Likes
rankerich Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We, too, are seeing this with our HP ProBook x360. Just got an order in to prep over the summer and are seeing exactly as you describe...HOURS later, we can have a working imaged machine. Gonna be a long summer. Let me know if you find out anything on the x360 from your SR. We have a very limited budget and are pretty stingy with our SR purchases. I've got about 3 more SRs that I need to open regarding other pretty major issues so it would be great if we can get some answers for the x360.

However, unlike the x360, we have yet to be able to get the HP 440 G4 to image. We may have to open an SR on that one if we cannot make any progress soon.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Since there seems to be some ongoing issues with some of the newer HP Models and the current Linux Kernel, I'm fairly confident the SR for your HP 440 imaging issue would be refunded if you open an SR.

I expect ZCM 2017 Update 1 to Ship the 3rd/4th week of June.
This will have some Linux Updates.

Traditionally, "Monthly Imaging Updates" will ship about a week later to bring older versions up to the Current Shipping Version of ZCM when an Core ZENworks update also updates the Imaging.

Again, this is all based on current hopeful release schedules as well as history.
I have not heard anything about a time for the next stand-alone imaging update, but do know an update is expected on 2017 Update 1.
Thus I would expect based upon history a stand-alone would be available.

There is some test code available that seems to have mixed results.
Fully helped some and partially helped others....I guess based upon different models.
0 Likes
sebastien3 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

rankerich;2456987 wrote:
We are having trouble imaging our newest HP 440 G4s. Hanging on "loading initrd /efi/x86_64/initrd..................done". We are running ZCM 11.4.3. Get same results on PXE boot or using the latest March update CD. Using Imaging Maintenance mode.

Anyone seeing this? Is there a fix?

Having the same here with 440 G4. Will be opening an SR tomorrow morning!

Did try the latest Imaging driver and my server is currently running 11.4.3.23202 agent.

Thanks!

Seb
0 Likes
rankerich Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We just got a large shipment of the G4s in and are still not able to image. I have an SR open on this as well. It has been sent up to develop along with my hwinfo for that machine. I'll keep you posted with their findings.
0 Likes
stedwards_suppo
New Member.

We're having the same problem with HP 430 G4's.

We launch imaging bundles via the pxemenu, and one thing I discovered is that the menu appears to be glitching - text is missing, formatting is always different every time we boot to the pxemenu.

Once launching the bundle, our units are stuck on the loading initrd screen. However, after leaving the unit on this screen for an hour or so, it rebooted and proceeded with booting into Windows.

It had actually imaged! it just appears to be a display/driver issue where the screen doesn't refresh/load. So, we're able to get by for now.

Hope this helps anyone else out.

Vic
0 Likes
glazzaro765 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have a similar issue with our custom boxes. What is strange is brand new boxes image fine, but older boxes with images from ZCM 11.3 freeze on the blue screen with the verbiage about media x.x.x.x/efi off both PXE and booting from CD.

I am going to open an SR as at this point we can use imaging on most of our older machines.

THanks

stedwards_support;2461646 wrote:
We're having the same problem with HP 430 G4's.

We launch imaging bundles via the pxemenu, and one thing I discovered is that the menu appears to be glitching - text is missing, formatting is always different every time we boot to the pxemenu.

Once launching the bundle, our units are stuck on the loading initrd screen. However, after leaving the unit on this screen for an hour or so, it rebooted and proceeded with booting into Windows.

It had actually imaged! it just appears to be a display/driver issue where the screen doesn't refresh/load. So, we're able to get by for now.

Hope this helps anyone else out.

Vic
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The G3 requires the acpi=off kernel paramenter at least.
It may also require using the GRUB2 Boot CD instead of the normal boot CD along with the acpi=off command.
GRUB2 is expected to be a PXE option in September Imaging Update....Which may or may not come in Sept 🙂

As Always....nothing is guaranteed until code is out the door since unexpected issues may cause delays or prevent expected fixes to be included...........sometimes found in last minute testing........
0 Likes
tsuba Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We just received a shipment of HP 640 G3 laptops that are having the same issue. We're not able to get the GRUB boot CD to work and pull an image down from our server. We aren't using UEFI though, just legacy Windows 7. If there's any early access things we can try that would be really great. If not we'll have to look at moving to UEFI.

Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.