schiess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Incorrect Product Name and Model Version

When I look at the inventory, everything is fine except we have 8 workstations that are showing incorrect data. For example, we have Dell OptiPlex 3010. 289 of them are fine but 4 are messed up. I looked in the .xml files located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\work\inventory and the good workstations have

<ProductName>OptiPlex 7050</ProductName>
<ModelVersion />.

The bad workstations look like

<ProductName>01</ProductName>
<ModelVersion>OptiPlex 3010<ModelVersion />

I have looked everywhere and I do not know where it is picking up the "01" for the ProductName value. Also, why would this be on 4 workstations when the other 289 are just fine? Where does the inventory scan look for the Product Name & Model Version?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Incorrect Product Name and Model Version

Check to see if a Full Scan helps............
0 Likes
schiess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I did do a full scan without success. I saw another post about the BIOS info in the registry at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS. Under "System Version" it said 01 so I removed it, deleted the inventory xml files, and ran another full scan (zac inv -f scannow) and it still says "Dell Inc. 01 OptiPlex 3010".
0 Likes
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Seriously perplexing that. I wouldn't put it past Dell to have muddied the BIOS signature - would not be the first time a hardware manufacturer did that - but it would be interesting to get a probe scan on a sample machine and have the fingerprinting team have a look.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Defintely sounds as if something is squirrelly in the BIOS/UEFI as that information is populated by the Hardware.....
Strongly suspect that you can delete it all you want, but it will keep coming back........

It may end up being a DELL Forum question about how a system could get in that state.....
Maybe a Wrong BIOS update got pushed to the machine at some point....

Try Re-applying the most current BIOS to see if it fixes...other than that....I would ask Dell support why the wrong device model is getting written to the registry.....

schiess;2474335 wrote:
I did do a full scan without success. I saw another post about the BIOS info in the registry at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS. Under "System Version" it said 01 so I removed it, deleted the inventory xml files, and ran another full scan (zac inv -f scannow) and it still says "Dell Inc. 01 OptiPlex 3010".
0 Likes
schiess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So the workstation in question has BIOS A17. All the others have BIOS A09. There are two workstations that have BIOS 09 that show up as "Dell Inc. 01 OptiPlex 3010". I downgraded my BIOS from A17 to A11 (the oldest BIOS that Dell had available) but it still shows up as "Dell Inc. 01 OptiPlex 3010". Would this need an SR opened? I just need to know where ZENworks is looking for the Product name when running the Inventory Report Group -> Device Lists -> Devices By Mfg / Model so I can see if it anything that could be fixed or not.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I think you are asking the wrong question......

The question is "Why does my Dell Optiplex 7050" think it is a "Optiplex 3010".
The Hardware Section of the Registry is functionally read-only and the fact its populating the wrong stuff is strange.
Almost wonder if at one point a Mobo Failed and a Dell Tech put the wrong one back in.

I would start by going into the UEFI/BIOS on the Device and see what is showing there.
0 Likes
schiess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There is nothing wrong with my OptiPlex 7050. I have two workstations, OptiPlex 7050 & OptiPlex 3010. It is the 3010 that I am having issues with. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. We have a total of 293 OptiPlex 3010 workstations. 289 of them show "Dell Inc. OptiPlex 3010" but 4 of them show "Dell Inc. 01 OptiPlex 3010". Out of the 4 that are bad, 3 of them have the BIOS version A09, just like the other 289 good workstations. My 3010, which was the fourth bad one, had an updated BIOS version A17. I flashed it to a different version of the BIOS, A11, but it still shows "Dell Inc. 01 OptiPlex 3010".
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\S ystem\BIOS. Under "System Version" it said 01

After a System Restart, does that now look good?

If you run the following from the command line to the resulting file look correct:
wmic csproduct get >out.txt

Or does it still have 01 in it?

schiess;2474497 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with my OptiPlex 7050. I have two workstations, OptiPlex 7050 & OptiPlex 3010. It is the 3010 that I am having issues with. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. We have a total of 293 OptiPlex 3010 workstations. 289 of them show "Dell Inc. OptiPlex 3010" but 4 of them show "Dell Inc. 01 OptiPlex 3010". Out of the 4 that are bad, 3 of them have the BIOS version A09, just like the other 289 good workstations. My 3010, which was the fourth bad one, had an updated BIOS version A17. I flashed it to a different version of the BIOS, A11, but it still shows "Dell Inc. 01 OptiPlex 3010".
0 Likes
schiess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So I ran the command line with the following outcome:

Caption Description IdentifyingNumber Name SKUNumber UUID Vendor Version
Computer System Product Computer System Product 7RN7HX1 OptiPlex 3010 4C4C4544-0052-4E10-8037-B7C04F485831 Dell Inc. 01

I looked in the registry key and there is a Key "SystemVersion" with a value of 01. I deleted the value and rebooted. I went back and looked in the registry and it showed 01 again.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can't really modify those keys........
They are hardware maintained......
The OS queries the hardware and then populates the data.

I would run the same commands on a "Good" system and compare results, then ask Dell why the two systems are giving different WMI results.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Note to Craig - seeing this at another customer and now with hardware other than Dell. has this been referred to Engineering for further investigation?

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I don't believe a Ticket is open........
But if the info at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS is Incorrect.........
That would be more a ticket for MS or the Vendor IMHO.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

To update the thread for all concerned, while at a customer site this week the issue was observed and we had a chance to run diagnostics. Long story short, the WMI data for sample devices in question appears to be incomplete. The ZENworks inventory is working with what it receives and reporting that. Looks like various manufacturers need to be prompted to provide updates to their WMI before the hardware inventory recognition will appear consistently and correctly.

0 Likes
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I believe its the same issue I had, Take a look at this thread,

https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/507275-Reporting-System-Listing-Wrong-in-Product-and-Version

I had it confirmed as a bug. We tried a patch that did not work. However, It was indicated it should be fixed in the next Service Pack release.

Patrick
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.