xsisbest Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Install Software from network location using script

So I've been struggling and researching endlessly trying to find a working solution to my problem and I know I can't be the first. I did find one thread close to my issue but it involved wrapping the script in an exe etc..
Anyway, all I want to do is create a Windows Bundle for Inventor 2020. This install is like 10gb and we already have it on our server (\\nbhs-lab1\data\apps\inventor2020). 
I have tried to map a drive, create a batch file and call the exe, I've installed a batch file locally to C; with the commands to start /wait \\inventor2020\Setup.exe etc.. Nothing I do actually gets the software to install. When I go to the progress window of Zenworks it says Launching and just sits there looking like it's doing something and it's doing nothing. The furthest I get is my batch file gets copied to C: and then my "run script" under launch tells it to run the batch file and delete it when finished. This part never happens. 
I just want a way I can install software without always having to upload it to the content repository. It's redundant as it's already on our server. Smaller programs are OK to do this will or even copy it back to the machine but in this case it's just too big.
Thanks for any help with this. I've also tried the script under Distribute, Install and Launch and none of the locations begin the install. 
I thought it would be as simple as going to say Launch.. File.. Run Script... I create my own script using the editor.
@echo off
pushd "\\nbhs-lab1\data\apps\inventor2020\img"
start /wait "Setup.exe"
popd
exit

I've also done net use K: "\\nbhs-lab1\data\apps\inventor2020\img"
start /wait "Setup.exe"
exit

It launches the command windows and then does nothing. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Install Software from network location using script

Autodesk installs are a pain...to put it nicely.  At the moment I am only pushing Autodesk patches through ZCM, but the initial installs are still manual.  So I haven't worked this out myself yet.  Have you tried running the main setup executable from the network with the security level set to "Run as Dynamic Administrator" ?  I would think that would be necessary to insure that you have sufficient rights on the computer and have proper access to the network drive.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Ken is correct......

#1 - You will need to configure a Credential Vault User.

MyActiveDirectoryUser@MyDomain.Com would be an Example for a AD Domain Server.

.MyEdirUser.MyOU.MyO would be an example for an NCP/eDir Server.  (Leading Dot is important.)

#2 - You will want to use a "Launch Executable" action and place the script on the share with the server.

However, in your examples...there is really no reason even for the script....just call your EXE directly as the script does not add anything.  Simply set the action on the bundle to "Wait" for the process to complete.

#3 - @Ken, I've helped a few different customers to deploy AutoDesk from UNC shares....

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

One more thing.....You need to use a UNC paths, not mapped Drives with SYSTEM or DAU actions.

0 Likes
xsisbest Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Go figure as soon as I post I finally get this working after 2 days.. 

So here is what I did. Under Install I choose Add.. install files. I uploaded a batch file called inventor2020.bat that will copy to C: drive. Inside this batch file are these commands:

@echo off

pushd \\NBHS-LAB1\DATA\APPS\Inventor2020\Img
Start /wait Setup.exe /W /q /I Img\Inventor 2020.ini /language en-us
popd

exit

Then under Launch I created another batch file using Run Script option with this inside:

@echo off

start C:\inventor2020.bat

exit

Followed by another Run Script that deletes the batch file. del C:\inventor202.bat

So happy to finally get this going! What made it work I believe is the extra commands that I found in the install folder under SMS_SCCM scripts. I tacked on the  /W /q /I Img\Inventor 2020.ini /language en-us part to the setup.exe and low and behold it started installing. Silently even 🙂
Hope this helps someone else but at least I know it is possible to install without all the uploads everywhere. 
I also choose to run everything as a secure system user and it worked fine. I do have credentials in the vault if needed but it didn't seem to need them. I did install it under my account which I'm an administrator of so I may play with it logged in as a student. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.